Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 9 2009, 08:52 PM   #91
STR
Captain

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?

1) The Enterprise. She never looked so good or so real. The CG model used in Nemesis is actually my avatar.
2) The Valdore. Takes the premise of the TNG warbird and gives it a dose of realism.
3) The movie's potential. The execution...eh...not so much.

I'll leave it at that.
Old November 9 2009, 10:25 PM   #92
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

STR wrote: View Post
1) The Enterprise. She never looked so good or so real. The CG model used in Nemesis is actually my avatar.
2) The Valdore. Takes the premise of the TNG warbird and gives it a dose of realism.
3) The movie's potential. The execution...eh...not so much.

I'll leave it at that.
Definitely with you on the Enterprise E as well. I have the Blu-ray of the film, and when the E would do I flyby I'd pause the Blu-Ray (which gives exceptional screen caps I might add) and just look at it. The "E" is not my favorite, but it is a beautiful ship and you can see all the detail they put into it.

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 10:31 PM   #93
STR
Captain

^If you like the model, you'll love this: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=2890
Old November 9 2009, 11:28 PM   #94
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
It's not out of character, but it's out of the norm. Let's all remember that Picard was traditionally a diplomat and academic first, fighter second, hence why the action-oriented character of Riker had to be created. For every episode where Picard had to get his hands dirty, Riker probably had 5 or more. I never said Picard wouldn't fight, but whenever he did on TNG, it was rare. That's what makes his fights special.
Exactly what a Trek movie needs. Special stuff. What I like about all the TNG movies is that they put the characters in special situations. They would have never killed off Picard's family in a regular episode, or gave Data an emotions chip or destroyed the Enterprise for good.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 11:44 PM   #95
SRFX
Captain

I wish they wouldn't destroy Enterprises. It hurt in Star Trek III and it hurt in Generations.

It's not that I value the ship more than the crew - it's that it is an icon, a representation of something lost (and I am person who deals with change with difficulty) and watching the Enterprise blow up was like watching your childhood home burn to the ground. It worked well in ST3 because it was the only way to win the no-win situation, and Kirk was so visibly shaken by what he'd done, so I can excuse it. In Generations, it was the result of sloppy writing that seemed like they WANTED to destroy the ship at any cost.

I was glad they didn't fall back on this for Nemesis.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 11:47 PM   #96
Voyagerian
Commander

Well, we got a decent space battle again, that's a plus, for one....FINALLY Will and Deanna tie the knot, as was meant to be....and as prior mentioned, always loving the Big Enterprise -E...takes a licking, keeps on ticking...after oh, a wee refit at home...Data dying..nope. Even if Brent felt he'd aged out of the part...Will got to kick some Reman posterior....I found Shinzon a decent villain....the cloning concept, while in the real-world is morally improper to me, and many ethicists, does rather work for part of the plot-and which I had some thoughts as to precisely who came up with that particular plan...and would be fitting, at least to me...the Scimitar is about as big and bad as you can get....and it was intriguing to see both the Senate, and the near-neighbor planet and what truly goes on there...Back to Data, at least in B-4, a chance remained...as the clever comic writers of the 'ST' prequel series came up with a way for him to re-emerge....
Voyagerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 01:53 AM   #97
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

DWF wrote: View Post

In Insurrection Geordi said that Data had removed the emotion chip. Despite what Brent Spiner says on the new DVDs he has said in the past that he didn't like the chip.

Still in the end I thought he was more human than ever before byt sacificing his own life as he did.
Even without the emotion chip, Data seemed to be having a lot of "early Data" behaviors, his awkwardness seemed back a few notches from where he seemed to be in S7-GEN-FC.
I agree about the sacrifice. And can see how Spiner felt he'd covered the ground with Data and this statement was a good coda on Data's journey.
I've never been more wrong when leaving the theater from NEM. A sequel seemed too obvious - maybe there's bad karma in that - never quite set up the sequel unless you know it's in the bag -
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 03:28 AM   #98
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
It's not out of character, but it's out of the norm. Let's all remember that Picard was traditionally a diplomat and academic first, fighter second, hence why the action-oriented character of Riker had to be created. For every episode where Picard had to get his hands dirty, Riker probably had 5 or more. I never said Picard wouldn't fight, but whenever he did on TNG, it was rare. That's what makes his fights special.
Exactly what a Trek movie needs. Special stuff. What I like about all the TNG movies is that they put the characters in special situations. They would have never killed off Picard's family in a regular episode, or gave Data an emotions chip or destroyed the Enterprise for good.
The thing is, all that can work for Generations because it was the TNG crew's first foray into film (and you're right, those are DEFINITELY some special moments), but if you keep using the same special stuff, it won't be special anymore. Killing Picard's family and crashing the Enterprise-D is more or less the same as killing Data and wrecking half of the E-E's hull; it's stuff that doesn't really shock all that much anymore.

If you keep putting Picard into such fights, those fights lose their luster and meaning, basically (worse yet, it makes someone like Riker a redundant character). After all, in the Trekverse and among the fans, he built up his reputation of being something like the anti-Kirk, someone who was thoughtful and careful and methodical. This was a guy who could outwit Q while arguing that humanity didn't need violence to solve its problems.

I can forgive FC (actually, more than forgive... it's one of my top 3 Trek films) because it took certain cliches and twisted them, or that there were so many special moments by themselves that they outshone the cliches. For example, we never saw Vindictive Picard in full effect before (Hugh saw nuthin), so to have him go up against the Borg Queen in a way we've never seen before was indeed special. And how often do we see anyone, much less a civilian like Lily, ever tell Picard off?
Old November 10 2009, 07:01 PM   #99
Grant
Fleet Captain

I agree about Data---he had reached the limit of his arc and they had nowhere to go----except back.

I hated the fight on the the planet with the natives ( it should have been fanatical Jem Hadar holdouts)

Other than those two things---i loved the movie
Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 04:16 AM   #100
The Wormhole
Admiral

While I agree that the infamous "dune buggy" sequence serves no point and has very little logic to it, I enjoy it as a fun scene.

Although, on the nitpicky side of things, why was Data wearing goggles and not Worf? Worf has actual eyes, Data doesn't.

If we go for a real world explanation, yes Brent Spiner has actual eyes and would therefore need goggles. But wouldn't Michael Dorn as well?
Old November 11 2009, 04:35 AM   #101
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
While I agree that the infamous "dune buggy" sequence serves no point and has very little logic to it, I enjoy it as a fun scene.

Although, on the nitpicky side of things, why was Data wearing goggles and not Worf? Worf has actual eyes, Data doesn't.

If we go for a real world explanation, yes Brent Spiner has actual eyes and would therefore need goggles. But wouldn't Michael Dorn as well?
Probably stylistic choices, or they just didn't have the right gear to make a set of goggles for Worf that would look anything other than silly.

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 04:47 AM   #102
SRFX
Captain

Dorn spent a lot of his time facing in the other direction.

Or maybe he thought goggles were wussy? I have been dune buggy-ing and I have never needed goggles! :P
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 05:05 AM   #103
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Hmmm...I liiiked....

Naaah...
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 04:50 PM   #104
Jeyl
Commodore

The Enterprise E sustaining battle damage. I LOVE battle damage.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 05:01 PM   #105
Praxius
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Probably stylistic choices, or they just didn't have the right gear to make a set of goggles for Worf that would look anything other than silly.

J.
Protection for klingon eyes from dust and debris? I'm sure he'd reply with something in regards towards perhaps wearing a bicycle helmet and knee pads too.

He'd be mocked out of the Klingon Empire if he wore them.... in fact, he's lucky they didn't hear about him using a space suit in First Contact
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote