New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 4 2009, 07:35 PM   #16
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: next Trek series pilot in cinemas as double feature from Paramount

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Going back to TV, again, would be the wrong thing to do

TOO MUCH Trek is what got them to where they were. And this is according to pretty much everyone from every generaton of shows
Everyone except the fans reading these threads based on the number of views.
So what would you like CBS to do with a new Star Trek TV show?
Is There Even A REMOTE Chance Of A New Trek Series?
A New Star Trek Series?
A New Trek Series Should Take a Lesson From Law & Order
Bryan Fuller wants to make a new series
New Trek series
New Animated Series
A Star trek CGI series
..who are all fans of TREK. I think the general public had decided that they have had enough of star trek..or did the 2.1 million viewers of Enterprise fool you into thinking anyone cared for that show.

Heck, I would be willing to bet that most of the people on this site did not watch Enterprise on a regular basis...

Your list of threads would be like listing topics spoken at church by the church goers...big deal.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 03:30 AM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think the general public had decided that they have had enough of star trek.
The general public doesn't think anything about Star Trek when they aren't actually watching it. Only we do. The general public will go see a Trek movie if it gets good reviews and word of mouth and actually seems like the cool thing to do. Then they forget about it ten seconds later and think about Transformers or Harry Potter or what they're going to have for lunch. They'd see a TV show on the same basis. But they wouldn't miss or think about Trek if it wasn't being shoved in their face.

Anyone who wants to make $$$ off Trek on TV just needs to do what Abrams did with the movie. 1) create something worth watching. 2) shove it in everyone's face. Pretty much what Transformers and Harry Potter and everything else does. (Well, maybe Transformers doesn't bother too much with point #1.)

Why don't people bitch their heads off about "oversaturation" for everything except Trek? How many frakkin Saw movies have there been anyway?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 06:20 PM   #18
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

I don't think you could get studios to agree to showing Star Trek series 6 and a movie back to back, it eats up to much time when they are trying to sell as many tickets at a time as possible, although the theaters would be somewhat OK with it, that is if they included an intermission so that people could buy more popcorn, soda, and snacks.
Old November 9 2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The general public doesn't think anything about Star Trek when they aren't actually watching it. Only we do.
Nope, he's right - the other time the general public thinks about Trek is when they see an ad for it...and the reaction that marketing has to get past at this point is "oh, that old shit again." Abrams has done a lot to rehabilitate it, but there's a long distance from a successful film to attracting a sizeable audience to a TV series week after week for years.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post
it doesn't seem wise to play your television-budgeted pilot immediately after a blockbuster-movie-budgeted blockbuster movie. Wouldn't that be a bit like having Aerosmith open for your garage band? Talk about an underwhelming first impression.
point taken. So much for the olden days of a double feature and a cartoon all on a cinema bill...

I think though with the proliferation of digital projection by 2011 that CBS Home video would try something with the pilot in advance like they did with TOS "The Menagerie" in 2007 in cinemas for 2 nights only to paying cinemagoeers.
I would pay $12.50 (current NYC cinema ticket prices) to go see series 6 Trek pilot in the cinema a month or 2 in advance but not $25.00 .
I would pay them $12.50 to keep TREK off the air forever...MOVIES only. Going back to TV, again, would be the wrong thing to do, with, I repeat again, over 600+ TV hours to view already...TOO MUCH Trek is what got them to where they were. And this is according to pretty much everyone from every generaton of shows, and producers too..

Rob
Keeping Star Trek off of TV would be a mistake... TNG and TOS were at their best there, IMO.

What the producers need to be able to do is to shoot themselves in the head if they think about making assloads of spinoffs in a row.
Old November 9 2009, 07:24 PM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
What the producers need to be able to do is to shoot themselves in the head if they think about making assloads of spinoffs in a row.
In the case of the Trek franchise it's not the producers who get to make this decision (presumably because they don't own Trek). The folks in charge of the studio tell them that it's time to develop another.
Old November 9 2009, 07:55 PM   #22
billcosby
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The general public doesn't think anything about Star Trek when they aren't actually watching it. Only we do.
Nope, he's right - the other time the general public thinks about Trek is when they see an ad for it...and the reaction that marketing has to get past at this point is "oh, that old shit again." Abrams has done a lot to rehabilitate it, but there's a long distance from a successful film to attracting a sizeable audience to a TV series week after week for years.
Who are you saying is right?? Dennis or Temis? I think they both make valid points - I also think TV series' which begin with a theatre feature are too risky for studios. It's a lot of bad exposure when they fail.

Anyway, take Abrams-Trek as a prime example. If it was so successful and made many Joe Six-Packs and Trekkers alike pine (pun intended) for more of the same, why didn't they turn that Trek into a new TV series?

And of course, not 24 episodes per season where the quality would suffer. I mean a budget-heavy 12 or even 6 episode miniseries, to air on a major network. Trek was always meant to have an episodic flavor. How many Abrams-Trek films are we expected to get? By the third the audiences will be dwindling no matter how good it is.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 09:09 PM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

billcosby wrote: View Post
I mean a budget-heavy 12 or even 6 episode miniseries, to air on a major network.
How many big-budget miniseries have aired on major networks with any success in the last five years or so? The so-called "Big Three (and a half)" are moving away from expensive event programming - economically, they have to. Hell, NBC's just ceded five prime time hours a week to Jay Leno to cut costs.

Plus, of course, Trek doesn't have a particularly successful network track record. Broadcast networks aren't a good fit for space-opera/futuristic type sf/fantasy, so there's no good reason to shoot for that kind of venue other than a kind of misguided lustre of "making it big."

Limited or short-form TV series take root on cable - Showtime, USA, HBO...I don't know what kind of budgets those command, or what CBS Paramount's business position in cable is. Probably less money at USA than HBO, though.

The best place for Trek to flourish for a long time, quite honestly, would be a basic cable series based somewhere like Vancouver and produced along the same lines as the Stargates or Moore's Battlestar Galactica. Trek fans (and the studio) would need to be willing to accept the trade-off of flying economy class in return for a chance at long-term viability. They might have to do with a couple fewer funny foam forehead appliances or space battles.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; November 9 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old November 9 2009, 10:29 PM   #24
billcosby
Commodore

The best place for Trek to flourish for a long time, quite honestly, would be a basic cable series based somewhere like Vancouver and produced along the same lines as the Stargates or Moore's Battlestar Galactica. Trek fans (and the studio) would need to be willing to accept the trade-off of flying economy class in return for a chance at long-term viability. They might have to do with a couple fewer funny foam forehead appliances or space battles.
QFT.

Can you imagine Star Trek on HBO? That would be wild.

Old November 9 2009, 10:30 PM   #25
billcosby
Commodore

QFT.

Can you imagine Star Trek on HBO? That would be wild. But they do have huge budgets.

The reason the much beloved Deadwood was canned a year early was because of the whopping pricetag - 4 million per episode (the giant cast, location shoots, horses, etc).

Old November 10 2009, 04:19 PM   #26
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I also think TV series' which begin with a theatre feature are too risky for studios. It's a lot of bad exposure when they fail.
I understand your point.

FYI
There has been an in-depth discussion on a Trek series 6 choice of TV channel over here: What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 04:26 PM   #27
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

The reason the much beloved Deadwood was canned a year early was because of the whopping pricetag - 4 million per episode
actually
At a cost of $5 million per episode, Deadwood couldn't justify its existence when it didn't become a ratings hit like HBO's The Sopranos.
SOURCE

Wow $5 million! if only Trek were allowed budgets like this...they could go on location more often.
Old November 10 2009, 06:46 PM   #28
Stephen!
Captain

I also think TV series' which begin with a theatre feature are too risky for studios. It's a lot of bad exposure when they fail.
Maybe. Although as the Ferengi say, "The riskier the road, the greater the profit"
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 06:58 PM   #29
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I wasn't thinking it would be a wide release but more of a promotional 2-day only release from the CBS Television marketing department. Yes maybe in 30 US states or just the top 25 cities. The Internet will take it from there. It is marketing not a product expected to reach the possible 300 million Americans.
with the proliferation of digital projection by 2011 that CBS Home video would try something with the pilot in advance like they did with TOS "The Menagerie" in 2007 in cinemas for 2 nights only to paying cinemagoeers.
I seriously doubt they would expect it to make serious money if only playing say 4 or 6 times at each theater. 2 or 3 times per day over 2 days. It would pay for any digital cinema distribution costs, a small marketing campaign for the 2-day event, and possibly defray some costs of the pilot itself. It would be a marketing choice for advertising the show directly to the fanbase instead of CBS Television or the TV network it eventually ends up on paying for print, radio, & TV advertising for months.

FYI Currently,
7,241 of nearly 39,000 screens in North America are digital
SOURCE Oct. 2009
Old February 11 2010, 04:57 PM   #30
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: next Trek series pilot in 3-D for cinemas?

In another thread
Will James Cameron's Avatar change things for Trek TV in 2012-2014?
There's a lot of talk about Avatar changing things and I'm wondering how Trek may be affected in this way.
Surely with a handful of 3D TV channels launcing in the next few years it's quite doubtful that the next Trek TV series would be shot in 3D due to the limited home viewers who would be able to see it in 3-D.

What about shooting just the 2-hour pilot in 3-D that would get a limited release in digital 3D cinemas?

The rest of the series could be in 2D but if they do a pilot and possibly a season finale in 3-D it could be an event for Trek as well as some extra revenue for $12.-15./ticket.

With the now possibility that Paramount may want the next Star Trek feature film shot in 3-D for 2012 and the growing availability of digital cinemas could have a limited 3-day event in 2013 or 2014 for a series 6 Trek.

As far as Nielsen ratings for a season finale there could be a limited digital cinema release say 2 weeks later in 3-D.