Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 7 2009, 12:22 PM   #61
SRFX
Captain

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?

A good action scene can help further the plot, or be the final culmination of events occurring in the movie.

For example, the space battle in Nemesis had a purpose and was part of the story. The dune buggy chase just felt tacked on. Literally, it seemed like the writer just thought: "Data picks up B4's head....and THEN DUNE BUGGIES."

It's just so non-sequitur and doesn't add anything to the movie.

Note: The holodeck scene in First Contact was pretty pointless too: but it was at least a nice Dixon Hill homage for TNG fans to enjoy.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 12:39 PM   #62
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

SRFX wrote: View Post
The dune buggy scene is idiotic. That whole sequence could have been removed in favour of more character scenes.

I mean, I can almost accept starfleet making a wheeled vehicle (and from the sound of it, it ran on something more sophisticated than an internal combustion engine), so I am OKAY with it. BUT WHY THE HELL WOULD THE REMANS ALSO HAVE CARS?! That makes NO sense.

Hell, if the scene was deemed absolutely necessary (it's not), then give the Remans hover vehicles - at least that would've been something more exciting/dynamic/made sense.
And it would have made the Remans appear much more sophisticated than the Federation.

The whole buggy thing was really stupid.

Note: The holodeck scene in First Contact was pretty pointless too: but it was at least a nice Dixon Hill homage for TNG fans to enjoy.
I don't think so. It showed Picard's full rage and that he really had big issues with the Borg that needed to be solved, and he got the neural something chip to get to know their next move, and well then it had both the purpose of a homage for TNG fans and an introduction for new audience that they have holodecks in the 24th century. Not pointless at all.

The dune buggy scene on the other hand... they pick up B4, and we get to know that Picard likes to drive fast cars, and that's about it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 01:03 PM   #63
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Kirks_Flying_Wig wrote: View Post
That's one of the scenes I hated in the film. Logan, Berman and Baird completely whitewashed that whole galactic milestone. The Enterprise went to Romulus! That's more important for the Federation's foreign relations than what happened in TUC (there the Enterprise just met the Chancellor's ship, it didn't actually go to Qo'noS). Such a let-down.
In fairness, how else could it have been handled? Long drawn out scenes of politicians back slapping each other whilst discussing the historical significance and political ramifications?

Isn't the the kind of thing that essentially 'killed' Star Trek and led to whizz-bang-million-mile-an-hour-ADD-explosion-fest of Trek XI?

As someone with a Trek XI avatar, you can't have your cake and eat it.
That's the stupidest argument I've ever read anywhere. You're dismissing my opinions of one film because I have an avatar from a completely different film that you don't like? What does that have to do with anything?

And FYI, despite the so-called "whizz-bang-million-mile-an-hour-ADD-explosion-fest" of XI, Karl Urban still delivered an exceptional performance that honoured both McCoy and DeForest Kelley. Thus my avatar.
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 03:01 PM   #64
SRFX
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I don't think so. It showed Picard's full rage and that he really had big issues with the Borg that needed to be solved, and he got the neural something chip to get to know their next move, and well then it had both the purpose of a homage for TNG fans and an introduction for new audience that they have holodecks in the 24th century. Not pointless at all.
True point.

Although I think his rage is only brimming at the point. The scene where he 'breaks his little ships' I think is where it finally boils over and it's made clear Picard has..had....enough of...YOU.
Old November 7 2009, 03:37 PM   #65
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I like that no reference was made to Data being designed to serve as a flotation device.
Old November 7 2009, 03:41 PM   #66
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I like that no reference was made to Data being designed to serve as a flotation device.
He did float through space at one point, though.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:12 PM   #67
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Kirks_Flying_Wig wrote: View Post
That's the stupidest argument I've ever read anywhere. You're dismissing my opinions of one film because I have an avatar from a completely different film that you don't like? What does that have to do with anything?.
*facepalm*
Ah right. I just found it odd how someone with a Trek XI avatar was lamenting on Nemesis' missed opportunity regarding the Federation's foreign relation policy in light of the Enterprise's arrival at Romulas given that Trek XI has been lauded for it's lack of Starfleet fuddy-duddies sat round a table discussing politics. I wasn't really specifically referring to that poster. Just making an off-the-cuff remark.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:54 PM   #68
DWF
Vice Admiral

I too liked the music and the battle scenes and Picard's scene in the Senate chamber. I also LOVED the crash and I really liked the wedding scene too and the new warbirds.

I too wish the deleted scenes had been a part of the movie it would've made the movie a more character based one but Paramount wanted an action movie. It also really felt like the end for the TNG movies, unless it was going to make $300 million or more the box office I really don't think there was going to be another TNG movie.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 09:05 PM   #69
Can
Commander

I liked the performances of Patrick Stewart ( as usual ) and more so Brent Spiner and Tom Hardy....Plus battle scene at the end. Unfortunetely they edited story so much ( Script of John Logan was decent ) the whole movie was one bad excuse for that CGI battle at the end...
Old November 7 2009, 09:48 PM   #70
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
*Riker's words at Data's funeral. I realized that I couldn't remember the song he had been whistling, either, and it made me feel horrible.
Someone in my theatre actually began whistling Pop Goes the Weasel during that scene.
I don't know why this made me laugh so hard I choked on my own saliva.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2009, 01:23 AM   #71
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Nemesis was such a giant improvement over Insurrection that there is only one thing I DIDN'T like about it:

Data's death.

Other than that, great movie.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2009, 01:49 AM   #72
pureTREKKER
Lieutenant

I liked the music in the movie.
Especially the intro- Zooming in to Romulus
Old November 8 2009, 04:09 AM   #73
SRFX
Captain

I think maybe most my original hatred of the movie was that going in, I was aware this was the TNG's crew's last film, so I was hoping for something that sent them off much in the same vein of Undiscovered Country. I felt the TNG crew deserved much better than the send off they got in this movie - this aspect of the film which I felt was most important, was probably the most poorly handled part of the film, and is why I have disliked the film for so long.

If I try and watch the film on it's own merits - it's actually not bad.

TUC is about as close as you can get to a perfect ST film though - so maybe my expectations were a little high (although, is it so bad of me to expect ST to try and improve on itself?).
Old November 8 2009, 04:51 AM   #74
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I liked all the character moments. The way it appeared to me, all of the actors were really trying to make a good movie.

I liked that they didn't have a fix it button at the end. I liked that the family was finally splitting up. It created a greater sense of closure, and therefore drama than if it had all stayed the same at the end.

I liked the wedding. We've been following those two for 15 years. We deserved to see that wedding.

It was also a very sad movie for me, since it could have easily been so much better. It had the makings of a great film.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2009, 04:55 AM   #75
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I liked all the character moments. The way it appeared to me, all of the actors were really trying to make a good movie.

I liked that they didn't have a fix it button at the end. I liked that the family was finally splitting up. It created a greater sense of closure, and therefore drama than if it had all stayed the same at the end.

I liked the wedding. We've been following those two for 15 years. We deserved to see that wedding.

It was also a very sad movie for me, since it could have easily been so much better. It had the makings of a great film.
Bingo. No matter how bad some people might say the movie is, we earned that wedding, dammit!

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote