Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2009, 04:19 AM   #16
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: J.J. Abrams Says Returning To Superman 'Would Be A Blast'

Tyson wrote: View Post
Somebody get that fucking loser to some kind of directing classes first, he's a gigantic manchild with the camera. Star Trek was somehow watchable in spite of his involvement.
Wasn't his direction of the Lost pilot critically praised?
Old November 7 2009, 05:26 AM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Somebody get that fucking loser to some kind of directing classes first, he's a gigantic manchild with the camera.
Wrong.

I'd love to see Abrams's version of Superman.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 05:37 AM   #18
Aragorn
Admiral

How could Tyson possibly be wrong? He called Abrams a gigantic manchild with the camera, and then proceeded to explain why by... uh... hmm...
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 08:25 AM   #19
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
I'd love to see Abrams's version of Superman.
Me too. And here are a few things I want to see done differently:

* No godsfrackingdamm crystal technology for Krypton; study Star Trek: TOS, TNG, Voyager, and DS9 and use the design styles and philosophies to create an ordinary, Earth-like but alien Krypton; also study John Byrne's version of Superman for other design styles.

*Have Superman kick butt the way he's supposed to, with a hard attitude yet caring heart (Pine should combine Kirk's cockiness with Superman's hardness)

*Make Clark Kent like he was on the Superman: TAS show (portrayal of which was based on George Reeves's version of Clark Kent as seen in The Adventures Of Superman)

*Keep Perry White's attitude from Superman Returns-I love the fact that Frank Langella wasn't always screaming.

*Base the script on the 2004 miniseries Superman Birthright-it's the best origin story I've ever read, IMHO. It's best for me because the Clark Kent seen in it isn't a whiny emo boy like he is on Smallville.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; November 8 2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 12:45 PM   #20
Jax
Admiral

I can't see a Superman film ever being a big success because theres not the need nor want from movie goers for such a movie. A movie lke Superman needs a big budget because well its Superman but that makes the movie less profitable and I think J.J would be smart to stay away. Also another reboot so soon would just confuse the average movie goer am afaird WB may of killed that franchise for possibly a whole generation.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

*Base the script on the 2004 miniseries Superman Birthright
How about, No! That was the worst take on Superman I've ever read. Nothing seemed on model.

Go with Byrne's Man of Steel as a template.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 06:55 PM   #22
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Krypton doesn't explode?
It just disappeared thanks to a giant underground donkey wheel.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 10:03 PM   #23
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
*Base the script on the 2004 miniseries Superman Birthright
How about, No! That was the worst take on Superman I've ever read. Nothing seemed on model.

Go with Byrne's Man of Steel as a template.
I disagree, it blew Byrne's version out of the water, and has a great action subplot in the invasion of Metropolis by the fake Kryptonians. Plus, being black, I loved Clark's sojourn in West Africa-better then what he does in Smallville.

Besides, Byrne's version was used, in the form of having his parents be still alive; that's enough of what needs to be kept around in a movie. And I also loved his being a vegetarian as well-something to inspire young and old people.

So all told, I think that J.J. should use this version of Superman in a movie.

Jax wrote: View Post
Also another reboot so soon would just confuse the average movie goer am afaird WB may of killed that franchise for possibly a whole generation.
But that's what's going to happen anyway, Jax: another reboot, even though there was nothing really wrong with Superman Returns.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; November 7 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Combining two responses
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2009, 02:19 AM   #24
Tyson
Fleet Captain

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Somebody get that fucking loser to some kind of directing classes first, he's a gigantic manchild with the camera. Star Trek was somehow watchable in spite of his involvement.
Wasn't his direction of the Lost pilot critically praised?
Lots of critics are just as stupid as the braindead fanbases so many properties enjoy.

Lens flare + nauseating camera shake /= good direction. Abrams is probably the mose overhyped motherfucker in the business.

*cue armies of fucktards barrelling to his defense.
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2009, 02:33 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Lots of critics are just as stupid as the braindead fanbases so many properties enjoy.
That's your best argument - that we're stupid.

It won't wash. To put it politely, you've never posted anything that demonstrates you to be smarter than me or than most other folks here. So you're unqualified to make such a judgment.
Old November 8 2009, 04:31 AM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Maybe i'm not thinking that hard on this, but I would imagine tackling a Superman film wouldn't be that hard of a challenge right after making "Star Trek"

I remember the draft that had Krypton surviving. I think having it survive only to be destroyed at the end while Superman looks on helplessly would be GREAT.
After seeing Abrams fuck-up Star Trek I'd much rather he stay the hell away from Superman.
Old November 8 2009, 04:38 AM   #27
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

No One needs another re-telling of Superman's origins. Everyone knows that he comes from Krypton, cared for by Martha and Jonathan Kent, and gets a job at the Daily Planet. Heck, even Lois and Clark's relationship is well established iconagraphy (is that a word?) Why don't they make a story that shows that Superman has been around for a while. He's over the trust issues with Earthlings, and is a well recognized protector. An unknown powerful force comes to attack Earth, starting with Metropolis first of course. Villains like Darksied, Matello, and Braniac come to mind. Threats so big, the movie wouldn't have for Supes origin to be told yet again. That's what I loved about Returns.

It got away from all that. True it had Kryptonian elements, but on the whole, it wasn't an origin story. Heck. Darkseid, Matello, and Braniac could be a Superman trilogy! Oh, Lex could be there too. Perhaps in part 3 which could be Darkseid. Those three villains could give Superman a greater threat than pushing a giant continent into space. I see this new trilogy I just made up in three bouts:

1: Braniac, not an easy fight, supes will have a run for his money, though.

2. Matello, a harder fight. Could nearly lose the battle, until one of the human characters saves him.

3. Darkseid. His greatest battle. Supes gives his all against Kalebeck, and Darkseid and repells an alien invasion.

Sorry for the rant. Need sleep!
Old November 8 2009, 04:38 AM   #28
Jetfire

I'd rather have Brad Bird take on Superman than JJ Abrams.
Old November 8 2009, 04:42 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The only Superman story that bears retelling, from generation to generation, is the origin story. Far more than any similar character (Batman is probably second) Superman's origin story is his story.
Old November 8 2009, 04:47 AM   #30
Jetfire

^
Agreed, I mentioned in another thread that another way to get Superman into a movie is a Legion Of Superheroes movie...in a Justice League movie there would be too many iconic characters(Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Latern, Martian Manhunters...etc) JL Unlimited Superman just blended in with the other heroes. In a live action L* movie Superman would be the lead. Like the L* animated series.