RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 504
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 27 2009, 05:25 PM   #31
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Star Trek XI DVD - Preorder or not?

MvRojo wrote: View Post
Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I don't think it will happen. AFAIK, JJ Abrams isn't big on extended versions of films. What we saw in the theaters *was* the director's cut. The best we can hope for is just having the deleted scenes in a separate section.
Abrams may not be, but I don't doubt Paramount would love to double dip on it. And it's not exactly footage that Abrams was forced to shoot and later cut (like the Blade Runner voice over or a "happy ending"), it's stuff he liked but trimmed for pacing and such.
But since they were deleted for storytelling and pacing reasons, that would make it even more unlikely a director would put them back in.
Abrams is on record saying that the theatrical cut IS his director's cut. However, I agree that Paramount may push for one just to get the double dip on such a successful movie for them.
Old October 27 2009, 05:30 PM   #32
Gojira
Commodore

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I don't think it will happen. AFAIK, JJ Abrams isn't big on extended versions of films. What we saw in the theaters *was* the director's cut. The best we can hope for is just having the deleted scenes in a separate section.
Abrams may not be, but I don't doubt Paramount would love to double dip on it. And it's not exactly footage that Abrams was forced to shoot and later cut (like the Blade Runner voice over or a "happy ending"), it's stuff he liked but trimmed for pacing and such.
But since they were deleted for storytelling and pacing reasons, that would make it even more unlikely a director would put them back in.
I think Peter Jackson was successful in doing the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy because he didn't just stick deleted scenes back into the movie he re edited the movies creating a better quality version.

Overall I dislike directors cuts that just stick the deleted scenes back in the movie. Often those scenes are cut for a reason and except for a few instances generally I agree with the directors decision to cut them.

Now since I am a huge Star Trek fan I will wait to see the deleted scenes to form my opinion about this movie.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 06:10 PM   #33
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Jeri wrote: View Post
Clancy_s wrote: View Post
Jeri wrote: View Post
So, which package is the best one to get? Assuming blu-ray, is there more than one blu-ray package to choose from?
With Blu-ray there is only one set of 3 discs, there may be various special boxes / inclusions depending whom you get it from, that's of no interest to me.
Ok, thanks. Anyone know of aforementioned various special blu-ray boxes/inclusions I should look for?
Best Buy - 4 pewter badges
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=2011874

Amazon - 8.5" pewter model of the Enterprise http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Amazon Germany - plastic model of Enterprise (discs fit in saucer)
http://www.amazon.de/Limitierte-Sond...6663293&sr=8-2
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 06:43 PM   #34
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Hey, thanks; I couldn't keep up with all the information on what's available. I have one of those pewter badges on my iPhone wallpaper.
Old November 6 2009, 12:27 AM   #35
24thcenstfan
Commander

I want the pleasure of purchasing it in the store. I also hope to find a fullscreen version. I hate widescreen DVDs...which seems to be how they are made for the most part these days.
Old November 6 2009, 12:33 AM   #36
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

24thcenstfan wrote: View Post
I want the pleasure of purchasing it in the store. I also hope to find a fullscreen version. I hate widescreen DVDs...which seems to be how they are made for the most part these days.
Why would you want fullscreen and lose close to 50% of the image?

And they aren't making a fullscreen of Star Trek.
Old November 6 2009, 12:44 AM   #37
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ Thats so true. It took me a while to get over the difference between fullscreen vs widescreen....but once you really see how much you lose with fullscreen you can't go back. We lived with fullscreen for so long that it took time to adjust. But widescreen really is the only way to go!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 12:47 AM   #38
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Yeoman Rancid wrote: View Post
^ Ohhhhh gotcha!
I'm actually pre-ordering a bunch of movies from Best Buy right now (with in-store pick-up) since they're having a 30% off sale on all Blu-Rays, so they actually have some decently priced pre-orders at $20.99, which is better than the increasingly unreasonable Amazon prices of $24.99-$27.99.

I was in there today and got the dvd set of Firefly for $12.99. Not blu-ray though. And i got a promo thing advertizing the pre-order offer, which also says there might be midnight events going on.

Do you pre-order it online and then pick it up or is it shipped to you?
Old November 6 2009, 12:55 AM   #39
24thcenstfan
Commander

Why would you want fullscreen and lost close to 50% of the image?
Because I don't have a widescreen TV. I play widescreen DVDs, and it elongates the picture vertically making everyone look misshapened (and super skinny).

In general, I like that format anyway. I may lose some content, but it doesn’t really feel that way since “they” do such a good job formatting for fullscreen.

When “they” first started doing the widescreen movies, they almost always had that black bar at the top and the bottom. I hear you can remove that now. However, before it always felt like they were cutting out content. I was coming out better with fullscreen. Whether I technically was…well, I prefer it visually regardless.

Maybe in time when I update my TVs (not necessary right now), I will get on the widescreen bandwagon. Not right now though.
Old November 6 2009, 12:55 AM   #40
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
^ Thats so true. It took me a while to get over the difference between fullscreen vs widescreen....but once you really see how much you lose with fullscreen you can't go back. We lived with fullscreen for so long that it took time to adjust. But widescreen really is the only way to go!
My first widescreen purchase was "Jurassic Park" on VHS back in 1993 when I was 11. Never looked back after that.
Old November 6 2009, 12:57 AM   #41
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
Yeoman Rancid wrote: View Post
^ Ohhhhh gotcha!
I'm actually pre-ordering a bunch of movies from Best Buy right now (with in-store pick-up) since they're having a 30% off sale on all Blu-Rays, so they actually have some decently priced pre-orders at $20.99, which is better than the increasingly unreasonable Amazon prices of $24.99-$27.99.

I was in there today and got the dvd set of Firefly for $12.99. Not blu-ray though. And i got a promo thing advertizing the pre-order offer, which also says there might be midnight events going on.

Do you pre-order it online and then pick it up or is it shipped to you?
Some I pick up, some I have delivered. Some of the BB employees are so incompetent, I can't deal with picking them up.
Old November 6 2009, 12:59 AM   #42
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

24thcentsfan, thats how my TNG dvds appear on my widescreen tv. All stretched out and weird. My husband sits on the couch in front of the telly and he sees the picture all stretched.

The weirder thing is, if i sit on the couch that is at an angle to the telly the picture is fine.
Old November 6 2009, 01:00 AM   #43
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

MYROJO, so if i pre-order the Blu-ray now, i can pick it up on the 17th AND get the $10 off special thing they have going on? Sounds that way... (its $10 off another ST set or movie)

awesome!
Old November 6 2009, 01:00 AM   #44
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

double posted. weird.
Old November 6 2009, 01:01 AM   #45
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Why would you want fullscreen and lost close to 50% of the image?
Because I don't have a widescreen TV. I play widescreen DVDs, and it elongates the picture vertically making everyone look misshapened (and super skinny).

In general, I like that format anyway. I may lose some content, but it doesn’t really feel that way since “they” do such a good job formatting for fullscreen.

When “they” first started doing the widescreen movies, they almost always had that black bar at the top and the bottom. I hear you can remove that now. However, before it always felt like they were cutting out content. I was coming out better with fullscreen. Whether I technically was…well, I prefer it visually regardless.

Maybe in time when I update my TVs (not necessary right now), I will get on the widescreen bandwagon. Not right now though.
The horizontal bars on top and bottom are there to preserve the original aspect ratio of the film. You can't remove them.