Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Spiderpope
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What Don't You Like About "Batman Forever"?

Before i start, i have to admit i am no expert on the Batman comics, ive only ever read one Annual and Bruce spent most of that pretending to be Matches Malone whilst Robin ran around in an inflatable muscle suit (!?!). So my perception of his rogues gallery is very much based on various wikipedia summaries and the previous filmed works.

But with that caveat i think the main problem with Batman Forever is that its creative team made the incorrect assumption that if something is based on a comic, it cannot be played seriously.

Which is why they took a villain like Two-Face, and turned him into The Joker Mk.II. The Dark Knight has proven that Two-Face can be an effective and intimidating villain. Instead we got a rehash of The Joker sans any of the darkness and menace.

The Riddler on the other hand didnt even appear in Batman Forever. Instead we got the Cable Guy in lycra. Carrey can be a very good dramatic actor, but all we got in Forever was a mix of Ace Ventura and The Mask in an outfit that left very little to the imagination.

We ended up with a Robin that goes on the pull in the Batmobile a few days after watching his entire family die.

We got a Batman that spends his spare time stalking a woman with a rubber fetish. And then gives up being Batman altogether when said female decides she doesnt like rubber as much as she thought, and would rather date a dull guy in a turtleneck.

As a kid i loved Batman Forever, as an adult i find it almost unwatchable. About the only positive i can say is that its not as bad as Batman and Robin.

"Don't let me eat pears!" - The Doctor
Spiderpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 05:11 PM   #17
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

It can be a fun movie if you turn your brain off when you watch it.

And yeah Robin seemed way to old to be "adopted" by Bruce Wayne. I don't care if the circus was halfway to Metropolis, there was no reason he couldn't have just hopped on a bus and rejoined it.

Someone above said that Jim Carrey was just doing Jack Nicholson's Joker. Personally I think that's what Tommy Lee Jones was doing. TwoFace just didn't seem to have a clear motivation.

And Jim Carrey was just doing Ace Ventura: Riddler. He can be a very good actor when he wants to be. I would have like to see him do a more serious, darker exploration of that character's psyche.

The love interest was pointless and forgettable. And I agree with the poster who mentioned the complete lack of any self awareness.

Alfred was good though.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 05:18 PM   #18
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Let me say this--Batman's double rescue of Robin and Chase (Nicole Kidman) at the end of the film was a truly great feat. Batman had almost zero time to think when he dived after them. It was as heroic as anything ever done by a superhero in any film.
Old November 5 2009, 05:52 PM   #19
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I still like some of the set designs, some of the soundtrack (I'm a child of the 90's, after all) and Tommy Lee Jones rocking the house as Two-Face. The rest is a god-awful piece of crap that has proven over the years to be inferior to Batman/Returns, The Dark Knight and even Batman Begins (which I'll never be particularly crazy about).
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:56 PM   #20
davejames
Vice Admiral

Spiderpope wrote: View Post
As a kid i loved Batman Forever, as an adult i find it almost unwatchable. About the only positive i can say is that its not as bad as Batman and Robin.
Same here. I must have been distracted by all the flash and color as a kid, but when I watch it now, all I notice is just how incredibly cheesy and awful the writing is.

Say what you will about Burton's films, but they were FULL of witty, delicious dialogue and great character interaction. That's the main thing that keeps me coming back all the time (and, come to think of it, another reason I prefer them over Nolan's films).

Schumacher's on the other hand are nothing but cheesy one-liners, bad puns, and lots of hyper over-acting. There's nothing in there that comes CLOSE to those great scenes between Batman and the Joker, or between Penguin and Catwoman.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Galactus
Rear Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Galactus wrote: View Post
I remember the joy and relief everyone felt after Returns which nobody liked. If it was not for the internet I would not even know a person that liked Returns.
Then you should get better friends.
Naw I think you guys need to get better friends and lighten up a bit with the rest of the world. But everyone today is too busy loving vampires, and wanna be anti heroes to see any good stuff. Forever owns Returns by a lot. Batman was a phenom so it is in a class by itself.
Old November 5 2009, 07:51 PM   #22
Vonstadt
Captain

I like Forever, but it is really only better than the mess that followed Batman and Robin. Everything that was wrong with the Riddler, Two Face and Gotham in Forever was shown in the animated series which portrayed them so much better.

Its not just the darkness but the style that the animated show captured. Schumacher was just the wrong choice and his style vision more akin to the camp 60's show. Though I liked that too as a child, I like most of the movie going audience at the time, was ready for a more mature version of batman. Especially after the first two films.

It was still fun at times to watch. I still love the little bit with TwoFace teaching the riddler how to punch a guy in the face, using the jewelry store guards as targets.

"Ball up your fist....lean way back..and /assert/ yourself! *WHAP!*...then riddler's attempt is um..shall we say less than successful

Vons
Old November 5 2009, 08:01 PM   #23
Sketcher
Commander

My favorite ridiculous scene is where the batmobile is driving down a road and then 2 seconds later is driving across a bridge that is five stories above. that scene confused the hell out of me and my friends when we watched the movie recently. we couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity.
Sketcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 09:20 PM   #24
ClayinCA
Commodore

Before i start, i have to admit i am no expert on the Batman comics
Well, let me just say that with the following statement...

But with that caveat i think the main problem with Batman Forever is that its creative team made the incorrect assumption that if something is based on a comic, it cannot be played seriously.
...you have proven that you know far more about Batman, and the way Batman movies should be made, than anyone involved with either of the Schumacher movies.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 10:09 PM   #25
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
I hate the fact that Jim Carrey made MORE money for that one role than Frank Gorshin earned in his entire career--and GORSHIN was a MUCH better Riddler.
QFT
Old November 5 2009, 10:23 PM   #26
Chrisisall
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Aw, I love "Batman Forever."

"Batman and Robin," on the other hand, is a different story.
BF is just sort of forgettable. Batman & Robin, however, cannot be forgotten! It takes us back to 60's camp- and I actually LIKED it!!! Ahnult was hi-larious!
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 10:39 PM   #27
Galactus
Rear Admiral

That is why Forever was such a huge flop after the greatest of Returns, oh wait....it was the other way around.
Old November 6 2009, 12:14 AM   #28
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I've caught bits and pieces of Batman Forever when it aired on AMC. I admit to really liking this film when it came out. But I was also a teenager when this film came out, so my tastes probably weren't quite as developed as they are now. The film really is tacky. Schumacher's take on the Batman universe is just all wrong. I understand that it's based on a comic series, but that doesn't mean the film itself has to play like a cartoon. Everything is over-the-top and exaggerated. The acting, the music, the set design, the costumes, the props, the lighting. The humor is bad. They really go for the cliches. I don't think there is a single moment in the entire film that's rooted in reality. Jim Carrey is basically playing himself, just in a silly costume. Tommy Lee Jones is completely wasted here, and looks like a caricature. I don't hate Val Kilmer's performance, but he doesn't do anything interesting, either. After Tim Burton's two entries, Batman Forever just takes a radical left turn down the wrong road.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 04:16 AM   #29
suarezguy
Commodore

I do think The Shadow works alright, certainly much better than Schumacher's Batman films, as a film that veers between serious story and lightness/self-parody.
Old November 6 2009, 04:28 AM   #30
Kolrad
Fleet Captain

It's interesting how much people's opinions on this movie vary-- I wonder if it makes a big difference whether people saw them in the theater when they were first coming out or if they saw them all later on TV or video.

The first Batman movie I saw in the theater was Batman Begins, which is still my favorite of the bunch.

I found the earlier movies disappointing after seeing that, though I enjoyed Batman Returns for the atmosphere and feeling it created.

I thought that Batman & Robin was terrible, and I was surprised to find that Batman Forever wasn't much better.

I can understand that some enjoy Batman Forever's variety of silliness (though I think the 60s series and movie did it much, much better), but I don't understand why the people who do seem to hate Batman & Robin so much; the two movies seem pretty similar to me. Corny jokes, villains making tons of puns, flashy colors, impossible architecture-- very much a comic book feel.

Kolrad is offline   Reply With Quote