Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 14 2008, 01:36 AM   #61
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Uniform Differences

It is not Photoshopped. As PowderToastMan suggested, this is not the only source of information that Trekmovie.com and others have as to the outfits. People have seen them.
Old August 14 2008, 02:17 AM   #62
PixelMagic
Lieutenant Commander

Being somewhat knowledgeable about he way light works, it looks to me that the woven pattern will be visible depending or the angle of light striking the surface. So while at some angles, this woven pattern may not be noticeable in the film, I believe when the light is at shallow angles to the surface of the fabric (such as in Sulu's and Scotty's pics) the delta pattern will be somewhat predominant.

Now, I don't really care if it's logical or not. I don't really care about that. If it looks cool, which I think it does, I'm all for it. Let's face it, the TOS uniforms are pretty plain jane, as was the Enterprise, so if both have more detail, so much the better.
Old August 14 2008, 02:28 AM   #63
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

PixelMagic wrote: View Post

Now, I don't really care if it's logical or not. I don't really care about that. If it looks cool, which I think it does, I'm all for it. Let's face it, the TOS uniforms are pretty plain jane, as was the Enterprise, so if both have more detail, so much the better.
This will likely be the only thing I'm gonna say on this topic since it matters not a jot to me one way or the other.

Simple creative choice is justification enough for the costumer and Abrams to choose to include this pattern no matter how it got there. That's all you need to know to understand the why? There need not and probably isn't a "logical" justification anyway and need not be any offered. Such is part of the creative process.

Very often on films in prop making and costuming there are always little details included that get lost on screen but are there anyway because it is creatively satisfying to those involved in the production to add that those details.

Sharr
Old August 14 2008, 03:36 AM   #64
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post

Very often on films in prop making and costuming there are always little details included that get lost on screen but are there anyway because it is creatively satisfying to those involved in the production to add that those details.
From a recent interview with Rick Baker (makeup and critters for Star Wars and now the upcoming The Wolf Man):

Shock: Has the advent of Blu-Ray and HD made your job any more difficult?
Baker:
It hasn't changed my job, in my mind anyways, because I try to make the stuff look realistic. When I was a kid doing all of this, I would put pores and all of this stuff [into my work] and Hollywood people would say, Kid, you're doing too much work, you're never going to see that shit. I see it. I want it to look as good as I can make it, so I personally want the makeups to look as real in person if you're standing this far away from it.
Sometimes that's just as important, because it keeps those guys going. It keeps them sharp at what they do. I imagine it's the same thing with costumers.
Old August 14 2008, 03:41 AM   #65
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Sharr Khan wrote: View Post

From a recent interview with Rick Baker (makeup and critters for Star Wars and now the upcoming The Wolf Man):

Shock: Has the advent of Blu-Ray and HD made your job any more difficult?
Baker: It hasn't changed my job, in my mind anyways, because I try to make the stuff look realistic. When I was a kid doing all of this, I would put pores and all of this stuff [into my work] and Hollywood people would say, Kid, you're doing too much work, you're never going to see that shit. I see it. I want it to look as good as I can make it, so I personally want the makeups to look as real in person if you're standing this far away from it.
Sometimes that's just as important, because it keeps those guys going. It keeps them sharp at what they do. I imagine it's the same thing with costumers.
Perfect example, very well said.
Old August 15 2008, 12:42 AM   #66
ancient
Vice Admiral

There's no "logical reason" for the Romulans to put little squares all over their uniforms either. It's just a fabric. There doesn't need to be a reason.

And in the 23rd century, custom fabric patterns could be all the rage. Plus, you know, easy to make. What with the advanced technology and all.

Just think of the advancements there will be in the textile industry 300 years from now!
Old August 15 2008, 02:42 PM   #67
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

^Fo'sho (TM).

Besides, all this bitching and moaning over the pattern in the uniform fabric is silly. Then again this is the Trekbbs. Movies often put in tiny details that may or may not be seen in order to create a world that seems "real" enough. It's an aesthetic choice like Meyer having Khan wear only one glove throughout TWOK.
Old August 15 2008, 04:20 PM   #68
PowderedToastMan
Commodore

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
It is not Photoshopped. As PowderToastMan suggested, this is not the only source of information that Trekmovie.com and others have as to the outfits. People have seen them.
i did not suggest it, i stated it.
Old August 16 2008, 02:04 AM   #69
cbp44189
Commander

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
cbp44189 wrote: View Post
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
While I think the uniforms being made of little chevrons is Superman Returns lame, it's not that far a stretch. And it doesn't look as stupid as having a camo pattern made up of the GIJoe logo. The approach they seem to be taking with TOS unis is just layered athletic wear like Nike, Adidas, or Under Armor. The chevron is also a minor detail you'll barely see onscreen.
Why would it be lame?
I said it would be "Superman Returns lame" because Superman's suit in that film was made of little s's. As for why it would be lame, I don't see a military organization making it's uniforms out of it's symbol. It seems silly to me, like if the army made it camo patterns out of patriotic stars. I then go into a possible reason why it would thematically fit the costumes of TOS and be less silly.
If you look at the US Marine Corp's new digital camo, you will see little globe and anchors in the pattern.
Old November 5 2009, 09:00 PM   #70
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

did you like the logo all over the crew uniforms
Old November 6 2009, 05:50 AM   #71
KirkSpockTOSFan
Captain

Location: I will not allow you to lecture me about the merits of emotion

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
Ok, since there seems to alot of aggrement/conformation about the "delta texture" to the uniforms.

This goes back to my original post: Why does the texture seem to be missing from Spock's shirt?
Hmm, I never payed a whole attietion to that, and I seen the movie 9 times! Anyways, I know in some of the pictures (scenes) you can see the delta sheild in Spock's uniform. But you have to look very closley because Spock's uniform seems to be darker than McCoy's. I guess when the movie comes out on dvd/blu ray I have to watch it again, and see for myself.
Old November 7 2009, 03:18 AM   #72
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

startrekrcks wrote: View Post
did you like the logo all over the crew uniforms
What a way to bring this thing back!!!
Old November 7 2009, 03:24 AM   #73
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Thread Necro!

Anyhoo, I love the new uniform patterns. Lots of great detail shows me they worked very hard to make this movie feel more realistic, and that's always appreciated.

J.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old November 7 2009, 10:24 AM   #74
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

why the logo all over the jumpers not saying that I don't like the new uniforms.
Old November 7 2009, 11:46 AM   #75
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

startrekrcks wrote: View Post
why the logo all over the jumpers not saying that I don't like the new uniforms.
Visual aesthetic.

J.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Closed Thread