Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2009, 05:25 AM   #16
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Absolutely yes. It doesn't really start getting awesome until the last few episodes of Season 1.
That's a bit longer than I was hoping. Then again, it's not as if there's anything else on (well, not that it's 'on', strictly speaking). Adequate space opera is better than no space opera, so I'll push on.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old November 5 2009, 05:28 AM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Absolutely yes. It doesn't really start getting awesome until the last few episodes of Season 1.
That's a bit longer than I was hoping. Then again, it's not as if there's anything else on (well, not that it's 'on', strictly speaking). Adequate space opera is better than no space opera, so I'll push on.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Well, there are still some good episodes in Season 1. But yeah, for the most part, it's not too special. But at least it isn't crappy!
Old November 5 2009, 05:35 AM   #18
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Season 3 on the other hand is one of the most amazing seasons of any show ever.
Old November 5 2009, 05:37 AM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

^This is true.
Old November 5 2009, 05:37 AM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

Season 1 is, for the most part, average to decent. It's not really bad, it's just a little slow and clearly the writers and actors were still feeling things out. I think the season really kicked into gear starting with "Durka Returns."

ETA: I completely agree about Season 3.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:22 AM   #21
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I have never seen the show, but I have a friend who doesn't own a TV, doesn't own a single DVD, watches very few TV show of the internet and even he said (a few years ago) that he wanted the Farscape DVDs. That says a lot for it.
Old November 5 2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Trent,

Looking back, I'd say they were flailing about in the first season, trying to figure out what they had. They(the series overseers) knew they had something unique but it took a little time to figure it out. It was almost like they went. "Holy shit, we have pure magic here! But what spells should we cast?" They eventually decided on a nice, quiet, subtle FIREBALL spell. It gets really good, and it has a flavor like nothing else ever shown on TV. IMO, after Trek, of course, it's as complicated and fun as B5 and far less like a made-for-tv show than a transliteration of scifi lit to the small screen. You know how fans say, "Geez, if they'd just let a trufan make a series it would kick ass!" ? Well, that's Farscape.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 01:00 PM   #23
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed Farscape from the get-go and consider the first season a quirky blast - though, of course, it has some misfires and is particularly quite uneven in the first half. And somehow pre-Gigi Edgley Farscape... well it just needs more Gigi Edgley, is what I'm saying. It's a damn great season though, IMHO, and the season ending arc is a kicker.

I recently rewatched this series and god I still love it so very much. It inspired me to go trek off and watch series I'd dropped and/or ignored like Firefly or the new Battlestar Galactica, but I'd still rather rewatch this then them, even over starting a new show - not because I'm fanboyishly insisting this is the better show, but it's just a show which in its screwing around and/or rigorous adherence to various space opera tropes is something I dearly love.

Okay, fine. It is the best space opera show this decade so nyaaaah! Unless one of the Stargates was better, but I never followed those outside of the off SG-1 episode (which was pretty okay as I recall).

Trent's comment about Lexx is interesting, also, as my first impression of Lexx is a cut-rate woefully inept take on Farscape (I'm aware it came first).
Old November 5 2009, 01:26 PM   #24
Mr Light
Admiral

Season One isn't that special until the final ?five? episodes. Season Two is even better. Season Three is even better than that!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:00 PM   #25
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

It depends where you buy the set. Best Buy is including the miniseries as an exclusive. As far as I know, everywhere else is not. I already have the Peacekeeper Wars, so I'm getting mine from Amazon.

That, and it'll save me $50.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:16 PM   #26
Leroy
Fleet Captain

In all honesty who cares if the mini is not included in the set it's amazing they are releasing this show again at all let alone at any affordable price points compared to the absurd ADV releases.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 06:45 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

Leroy wrote: View Post
In all honesty who cares if the mini is not included in the set it's amazing they are releasing this show again at all let alone at any affordable price points compared to the absurd ADV releases.
Well, people who don't already own the mini might care, as this will tell them whether or not they need to buy it separately.
Old November 5 2009, 08:00 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't suppose it would be realistic to hope for a Blu-Ray release? (Wasn't this show shot on film?)
Old November 5 2009, 08:03 PM   #29
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't suppose it would be realistic to hope for a Blu-Ray release? (Wasn't this show shot on film?)
I think they changed the way it was filmed for the 4th season. At least it looks like they did.

I would LOVE a Blu-Ray release for this show. Hell, I would buy a fucking 100-inch TV if that happened!
Old November 5 2009, 08:04 PM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Surely you mean a frelling...oh, never mind.