Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 4 2009, 09:52 AM   #16
D Man
Commodore

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I watched some of the deleted scenes that I felt would be great in the movie, that would round out the story ( I loved the Chateau Picard scene). I don't know, but I am starting to like this movie more and more.
I actually haven't seen the deleted scenes, but I've heard there are quite a few that sound like they would have made the movie dramatically better, in both senses of the word. Sometime in the next year I hope to upgrade to Blu-ray and I'll probably pick it up then, which I think will give me a new appreciation for the movie. I think I've only seen it twice (once in the theater and once on a rental, but I didn't bother with the extra features for some reason .)
Old November 4 2009, 09:57 AM   #17
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Visually, the movie is amazing, both in terms of production design and cinematography.

Stuart Baird shoots the Enterprise bridge from a lot of angles that we normally don't see it from.

Brent Spiner does a great job of distinguishing B-4 from Data.

Anything with Ron Perlman in it is automatically cool.

I love crossovers, so I'm glad we get an Admiral Janeway cameo, even if it is tiny.

It's the Next Generation cast on the big screen, dawg!
I'll give Baird credit for that. We did get to see angles not previously seen.

D Man wrote: View Post
I watched some of the deleted scenes that I felt would be great in the movie, that would round out the story ( I loved the Chateau Picard scene). I don't know, but I am starting to like this movie more and more.
I actually haven't seen the deleted scenes, but I've heard there are quite a few that sound like they would have made the movie dramatically better, in both senses of the word. Sometime in the next year I hope to upgrade to Blu-ray and I'll probably pick it up then, which I think will give me a new appreciation for the movie. I think I've only seen it twice (once in the theater and once on a rental, but I didn't bother with the extra features for some reason .)
Here's one of the scenes I'd wished they'd have left in (it takes place right after the wedding scene):
Now the guy fixed VFX from the original scene (it was green screen outside the windows), but I really think it should have been in the movie.

J.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

I liked.....

Um. That it ended?

More appreciatively and to echo a comment about Riker's speech at Data's funeral....

You know, I realize humans are fallible and all and their memory can suck but I would've LOVED for Riker to have remembered it was Pop Goes the Weasel and that Data got stuck on a part of it.

THEN in Picard's Ready Room with B4...instead of Blue Skies... if B4 had started to whistle Pop Goes the Weasel, had him get stuck on the SAME note Data did....have Picard finish for him, smile with dawning realization that his friend is still with him and he gets to experience the journey once more with this new friend and have him stride off confidently as the music soared to a crescendo...

I would have cheered.

It would have given a full circle effect, bringing us back to Encounter at Farpoint and giving hope for the future....much like the 'I feel young' and 'there are always possibilities' from Kirk at the end of Khan.

But that's just me

Let's see what's out there...

Last edited by Kirk1980; November 4 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 10:43 AM   #19
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Kirk1980 wrote: View Post
I liked.....

Um. That it ended?
/smack

<points to original post>

J.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Read my edit before contacting with my face!

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 04:23 PM   #21
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Echoing: Battle scenes
Picard and Data flying their way out of the Scimitar.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 04:43 PM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

I was watching the deleted scenes on the Blu-ray disc, and I wish there were two scenes they would have kept:

1) The Chateau Picard 2267 scene
2) The Geordi & Worf cleaning out Data's quarters scene.

To me, that would have very nicely rounded things out.

J.
The deleted scenes do have some of the movie's best material. Hell, I watch the Commander Madden scene everytime I watch the movie, as I consider that the true ending of the film.
Old November 4 2009, 05:23 PM   #23
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I liked the end... that final part... when it finally stopped!

Seriously though, the cinematography was well done, and the special effects were very good. Like the others said, the deleted scenes were great and should have been included in the film. The story just never gripped me.
Old November 4 2009, 05:25 PM   #24
Cicero
Admiral

1) Commander Donatra
2) The Romulan Senate's chambers
3) The closing scene featuring "Blue Skies"
4) Riker's speech

I, too, feel tat the movie had the potential to be excellent, but was poorly executed.
Old November 4 2009, 05:54 PM   #25
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I still consider NEM to be the worst Trek film of the bunch, and it would take a lot of re-writing and re-editing to make the film up to par. However, I admit that there are at least a few positive elements from the film:
- The Enterprise-E sets looked gorgeous in this film. The fresh paint, revised LCARS, inclusion of flat-screens, revised lighting, etc. really made the interiors nice. The Bridge never looked better.
- It was nice to see the Romulans featured more prominently a film, even though I felt that they were marginalized
- The visual f/x were better than INS (but still nowhere near the quality of FC... it's too bad ILM wasn't involved)
- The cinematography was interesting, at least some of the time
- The scene where Picard and the crew meet Shinzon was well executed, IMO
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 06:12 PM   #26
ClayinCA
Commodore

I liked Donatra (although, I pretty much like Dina Meyer in anything).

Liked a lot of the Picard/Data interaction (especially the deleted scenes).

Loved that Riker and Troi finally got married, and loved that we got to see Guinan again, if all too briefly.

I liked that it felt like a movie - it had a feel of scope and size to it that many of the Next Generation films (particularly Insurrection) lacked.

And as many have said, the opening sequence in the Romulan Senate was great.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 08:14 PM   #27
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

There's a moving piece of music, which got cut back to mere seconds as the end credits rolled... where they reprise key themes. Trouble is we didn't hear this piece anywhere in the film (except speeded up during the buggy chase). It's very mournful of Data's death and uniquely Goldsmith's romantic take on Star Trek. It might even have worked in the context of a traditional opening title sequence... instead ploughing the camera straight into Remus & Romulus. That I liked so much, I bought the soundtrack album to hear more of it. I still think it got reduced in length even then.

On the whole I liked this movie, even though it fell into the trap all 'my Trek era' fell into, going out with a whimper instead of bang... or even a sentimental sign-off as The Undiscovered Country did.
Old November 5 2009, 01:53 AM   #28
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Things I liked:

*The battle scenes....(The TNG show was severly lacking in battle scenes, and this movie didn't disappoint in that department).

*Donatra was cool and sexy; if only they'd let her be like her fellow Romulan 'sista,' the Commander from 'The Enterprise Incident' (without the silly bowl cut, of course); a 24th century variation of the Romulan Commander's uniform would have been cool...

*That Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack is pretty cool too....

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; November 5 2009 at 02:05 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 02:09 AM   #29
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Here's one of the scenes I'd wished they'd have left in (it takes place right after the wedding scene):
Now the guy fixed VFX from the original scene (it was green screen outside the windows), but I really think it should have been in the movie.
I completely agree. The cut-scenes from NEM just kill me. The pacing of the film is very "action-film", but many of these cut character scenes have good depth to them. I would LOVE to see them stitched into a disc release/alternate version.
I was very surprised by the flop that became NEM. I was sure there would be a sequel when I walked out of it. I still think its box-office performance was affected by the oversaturation of TNG on television, and the oft-overlooked fact that it was released in direct competetion with Two Towers.

What I liked most about NEM was the TNG crew interaction, which is also why those cut scenes are a sore point. I also loved the look of the Ent-E, both interior and exterior, in this film.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 05:13 AM   #30
SRFX
Captain

I have been a MASSIVE hater of this film ever since the day I saw it in the cinema, and my opinion of it got worse and worse each time I saw it.

The problem I guess was that I was too hung up on what I wanted the film to be, rather than taking it for what it was. Finally, after a few years went by and I hadn't seen it for a while so I watched it a couple weeks ago (I was actually planning on starting a thread entitled: "Nemesis - It's actually not bad", but I've been busy with end-of-semester projects.)

Anyway, the good stuff from NEM:

- Picard/Shinzon: Shinzon may not have been the best ST villain ever, but he was certainly not the worst and was at least INTERESTING. This is a character I wanted to see on screen more. And his interactions with Picard were always engaging and exciting. It's a shame he just didn't get to actually do something bigger and more maniacal. Khan at least got to make Genesis.

- Data: He felt in character and consistent and not over-the-top throughout the movie. He was comic relief in GEN, villain-fodder in FC and more comic relief in INS. At least in Nemesis, he was a significant component of the story and the scene where Data tells Picard what it means to be human is excellent and I think THIS is where the movie hit it's stride for me.

- Space Battle/Special Effects: Visually this movie is stunning. I am still only watching it on DVD (upscaled on the PS3 mind you) and it looks amazing. Can't wait to get it on Bluray). The space battle is excellent (although I wish the Romulans weren't disposed of so easily) and is truly exciting. When Worf reports that they have exhausted their complement of torpedoes and the Scimitar's shields are still at 75%, you get a real sense of fear and hopelessness.

- The Story: Overall, the story is GOOD. It's really really good. It's just the execution that's poor and to echo everyone else's opinions, the DELETED SCENES SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN. These scenes round out the movie and everytime I watch them and Rick Berman's all "we felt these scenes weren't necessary." I am almost yelling at the TV: "NO! THESE SCENES WERE NECESSARY YOU FOOL. IT WOULD'VE MADE YOUR MOVIE SUCK LESS!"

So yeah, in a landmark decision, I am elevating Nemesis to my second least favourite ST movie after Star Trek V.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote