RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,690
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 738
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 30 2009, 09:23 PM   #46
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: A couple more aliens from behind the scenes

Space Therapist wrote: View Post

The Vulcan chapter of the Jim Carrey Fan Club meets for the very first time...and it is a rousing success.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 09:23 PM   #47
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Could you reup the bridge concept shots? I can't seem to view them. Everything else is great though, especially the engineering shots.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 09:29 PM   #48
Tom Servo
Commodore

I fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE that second Phase 2 concept.

I really hope they tweak the bridge a little for the second film. I liked it, but I really hope it has more color next time like these concepts.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 01:19 AM   #49
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
Can anyone tell me where I can see the original design of the Abramsprise by Church you're speaking of?
Here, here, here and here. A good number of these are right in this thread. They're all variations on a theme, but many of us like them better than what the effects team turned it into.
Thanks for finding those for me. I'm not much of a design-oriented kind of guy, so from the thumbnails it was hard for me to see the difference, but those do look a tad better than the ship on screen, well, better in regards to the neck and front of the secondary hull.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 01:26 AM   #50
Tom Servo
Commodore

You know looking at the first engineering concept, It looks like the end of that room is the front of the bussard collector on the nacelles. That looks to be INSIDE the nacelle itself. Thats pretty awesome.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 01:37 AM   #51
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
This kid's a Trekkie! I now have faith in the younger generation and the future.
Old October 31 2009, 04:32 PM   #52
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

To be fair, I've met or known more than a few kids and teens into TREK. But almost all of them had parents and/or siblings who are or were also into the franchise so that is a big influence and help. I don't think too many kids would get into TREK independent of family influences and tastes.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:12 AM   #53
lstyer
Lieutenant Commander

2 Klingons.It is mentioned they are not in full make-up. Just the parts visible through the helmets

That second one looks pretty cool as-is. Sort of a nice intermediary look between ridgeless and ridged Klingons.
lstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:25 AM   #54
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Pauln6 wrote: View Post

One of the things that annoys me the most about Trek is its tendency to make so many of its alien races anecdotal - either one dimensionl, one episode wonders or background aliens never to be seen again. I was so annoyed that Andorians, Deltans, and Tellarites are almost entirely absent from TNG in favour of carbon-copied but less interesting aliens like the Bolians, Betazoids, Zak-dorns etc. At least Babylon 5 had the good sense to have a bible of alien races from which it departed relatively rarely.
I agree completely. There's too much potential that's either not used, or is only explored in non-canon media and can be effectively ignored by the studio. Whereas a series like B5 or Star Wars can take a random background alien who might appear for all of five minutes and create a full description of the race and culture and how they relate to the rest of the universe.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:33 AM   #55
lstyer
Lieutenant Commander

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
One of the things that annoys me the most about Trek is its tendency to make so many of its alien races anecdotal - either one dimensionl, one episode wonders or background aliens never to be seen again. I was so annoyed that Andorians, Deltans, and Tellarites are almost entirely absent from TNG in favour of carbon-copied but less interesting aliens like the Bolians, Betazoids, Zak-dorns etc.
I go back and forth on that sort of thing. Redundant alien species seem silly to me, but too much repetition of less-major species can make the universe seem small, which is often a problem with Trek in general. At the end of the day, though, I'd rather see one species developed in two appearances than replaced with a redundant species in a second appearance.
lstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:14 PM   #56
Brianruns10
Ensign

What no green girls? There was a whole featurette for them on the blu-ray. Let's get on this lucky international folks who got the pic early!
Brianruns10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 07:39 PM   #57
EJD1984
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Enterprise engineering concepts
Liking these, but one thing which occurs to me is how much squawking there was right after the movie's release about how big the "brewery" engineering set was. These look like they might be even greater in volume.
I don't think it's the size/volume people were really "squawking" about - It was more of that it looked like a brewery. (You could see the concrete floors & a cinder-block wall!)

These concepts would have made a far superior engineering set. I know that there were major cost considerations, but a good dose of CGI may of helped that factor.

Wishful thinking here - Maybe they'll get enough of a budget to finally get a varation this on screen in the next movie. Build only the parts of the sets the actors interact with, and CGI/Matte the rest.

*Remember, Starfleet seems to always do upgrades to their ships between missions(movies).

Last edited by EJD1984; November 2 2009 at 08:03 PM.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 07:43 PM   #58
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Those engineering concepts are so fucking superior over that brewery set. And in addition they even look like people spent some thought on designing it similar to the TMP engine room.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 07:47 PM   #59
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Those engineering concepts are so fucking superior over that brewery set. And in addition they even look like people spent some thought on designing it similar to the TMP engine room.
Yeah, agreed completely. You would think that with all the TMP homages/winks in the film, engineering would be a shoo-in for some TMP-style touch-ups.
Old November 2 2009, 08:28 PM   #60
T J
Commodore

captain's chair controls

What in the hell are those buttons on top supposed to do?!?!?

And is the bottom circular part there to keep a cup of coffee hot???