TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2009, 05:09 AM   #31
Bah Humbug
Admiral

Re: SyFy to air the original V this Sunday!

Meredith wrote: View Post
Hey I got an idea let's steal the water of earth, not that we didn't pass a certain moon of Jupiter that had three times as much water and wasn't at the bottom of a really frickin huge gravity well like the earth is, oh well let's steal the water from earth like a bunch of chumps because we are dump stupid reptilian overlords.....
Why not get all of your groceries at the same place?
Old November 2 2009, 06:40 AM   #32
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

All of the original V is scientifically implausible. I mean, why would the Visitors use human disguises that were so easily ripped away? All it would take is one Visitor falling down and skinning his knees, and whoops, there goes the whole invasion.

The whole concept of the series was to show what would happen if a fascist regime occupied America in this day and age... and it was dressed up as sci-fi to get the NBC execs interested. If you're watching it looking for scientific accuracy you're completely missing the point.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 07:44 AM   #33
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Just finished watching The Final Battle. I thought it was pretty good. Going to start watching the series tomorrow.
"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 08:25 AM   #34
FreezeC77
Commodore

Damned Aliens and their superior technology showing off those monochrome computer monitors on their mothership
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 10:03 AM   #35
Aragorn
Admiral

Level 2 Die-agnostic wrote: View Post
The whole concept of the series was to show what would happen if a fascist regime occupied America in this day and age... and it was dressed up as sci-fi to get the NBC execs interested. If you're watching it looking for scientific accuracy you're completely missing the point.
Wolverines!!!! I mean.... V!!!!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:00 PM   #36
TowerPower
Commander

For those of you who are watching the regular series episodes on syfy Monday and Tuesday, I was wondering a couple things. Are the episodes uncut or do they have cuts made for more commercials. And are they aired in letterbox? I don't have the DVD set but remember seeing the box once. Are the episodes on the DVD in letterbox or just 4:3?
TowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:33 PM   #37
cylkoth
Commodore

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Damned Aliens and their superior technology showing off those monochrome computer monitors on their mothership
Tell that to Moonbase Alpha's IT head.
Old November 2 2009, 06:23 PM   #38
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

DVD video framing

TowerPower wrote: View Post
Are the episodes on the DVD in letterbox or just 4:3?
The DVD released on 7/3/2001 is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio & enhanced for anamorphic screens.
The details are on this DVD review:
"V" is presented for the first time ever in anamorphic widescreen with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1. To say that this transfer came as a surprise would be an understatement as "V" has always been seen in the standard 4:3 television format. But Kenneth Johnson had anticipated a potential foreign theatrical release for the program and decided to film it with a widescreen framing in mind. In comparing the full screen and letterbox versions it's clear that the widescreen transfer omits a bit of top and bottom image for the sake of the wider view but at no time do these shots look forced or out of place. This is the way the director intended the show to look and he personally supervised the transfer process so I'm satisfied that this is indeed the way that "V" was meant to be presented.
http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...niseries.shtml
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 07:01 PM   #39
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Meredith wrote: View Post
Hey I got an idea let's steal the water of earth, not that we didn't pass a certain moon of Jupiter that had three times as much water and wasn't at the bottom of a really frickin huge gravity well like the earth is, oh well let's steal the water from earth like a bunch of chumps because we are dump stupid reptilian overlords.....
Maybe they just liked to dominate and control a species, perhaps they get satisfaction from what they do to alien races... it wasn't all just about the water

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 09:32 PM   #40
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

TowerPower wrote: View Post
And are they aired in letterbox?
Nope, 4:3.
"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 09:40 PM   #41
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
What the Final Battle does have going for it was Michael Ironside getting locked into his typecast.
But he does it so well!!!

"Say goodnight, hot shot." *empties a bag of dust poison on Steven's face*
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 10:40 PM   #42
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Caught the marathon this past weekend. I loved it as a kid. The original mini held up pretty well, I thought. V:TFB, not so much. Although it does have it's brilliantly memorable moments, the ending was just... gah.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 11:07 PM   #43
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Re: DVD video framing

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post

The DVD released on 7/3/2001 is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio & enhanced for anamorphic screens...
I think the question was about the weekly series.

Is that available in 4x3 only, or was it also filmed with widescreen in mind?
Old November 2 2009, 11:25 PM   #44
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Watching some of the "series" now, I don't think I ever watched these when they were on.

If I had known how much tighter Diana's outfits would be, I would've made time , though I wouldn't have had the same ideas at 16.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2009, 12:22 AM   #45
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
Caught the marathon this past weekend. I loved it as a kid. The original mini held up pretty well, I thought. V:TFB, not so much. Although it does have it's brilliantly memorable moments, the ending was just... gah.
Agreed. I sat through it too. It was a near thing-almost ran out of Valium and Jack. Forgot just how long the thing was.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote