IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old February 5 2009, 06:00 AM   #31
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--Background Thread

Thanks for looking! Unfortunately my computer-drawing and photomanipulation skills are very, very primitive--which is why I do everything by hand. (So yes, I had an extra incentive to want to break with the standard "Trek look." ) So I wouldn't have any way to vector it. If I did, though, wouldn't I lose the clearly hand-drawn look to it, even on the final version? The textured paper, the slight imperfections due to markers and the human hand, etc.?
Old February 5 2009, 06:05 AM   #32
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Thanks for looking! Unfortunately my computer-drawing and photomanipulation skills are very, very primitive--which is why I do everything by hand. (So yes, I had an extra incentive to want to break with the standard "Trek look." ) So I wouldn't have any way to vector it. If I did, though, wouldn't I lose the clearly hand-drawn look to it, even on the final version? The textured paper, the slight imperfections due to markers and the human hand, etc.?
Oh, yeah, you would. But I meant, in case you ever wanted to have a... word mark, is the term, I believe. It means a specific, visually identifiable brand that automatically ties peoples minds to your works. A graphic design term; I actually used to have a word mark for the Journey, and I suppose even the bottom footer on the eBook of ONOW is a watermark for AotW.

For this on a cover or as a website, that'd be awesome; the vector would be more something you'd use to make banners of varying sizes without losing the crystal clear quality of the original fonts/design, since vector isn't a lossy format. Know what I mean? Like for banner exchanges and that.
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 06:17 AM   #33
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that makes sense.

What I usually do, though, is scan stuff at a really high resolution (300 dpi or so), so I have a file I can size down to whatever the purpose. What you're seeing there, I had to take down to about 35% of its original size.

I suppose, if I wanted a less ornate emblem, I'd do a version of the Gălor without the text. The one trouble, though, would be losing that hand-drawn look, but I guess I could make up for it the same way, by just scanning it in at a really high resolution.
Old February 12 2009, 06:54 AM   #34
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

All right, guys...here's the final Sigils and Unions emblem!

Robert--I know I didn't take your advice exactly as you had in mind, but you did get me thinking about how much I had on the paper at one time. What I saw of Ziyal's art style made me realize I needed to bring out a bit more of the austerity of Cardassian art. (Her subjects were often quite delicate and nature-oriented, but the colors and austerity of the art seemed very Cardassian, to me.) I ended up striking my name instead.

I altered the "Cardassian font" to focus less on readability and more on style, so I felt keeping the truly English script was more important than keeping the name.

As before...it still is not "perfect." But I WANT the traditional, drawn-by-hand look, instead of the sleek, computer-perfect look.
Old April 7 2009, 05:16 AM   #35
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

For anyone looking for a Sigils and Unions fix in between chapters...hop on over to Ad Astra to read the background information essays, some of which were initially hashed out right here in this thread!

http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewseries.php?seriesid=10
Old May 16 2009, 08:43 PM   #36
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

OK...new background essay up over at Ad Astra!

http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=318
Old June 4 2009, 03:24 PM   #37
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Finally got a drawing of my AU Dukat (i.e. "the Good Twin") that REALLY looks the way I see him in my head!

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=95195

Just thought I'd let you know in case anybody's interested!
Old June 6 2009, 03:35 AM   #38
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I have some really good news! I just posted my first Cardăsda lesson to Ad Astra--where there's a forum thread where the audio should remain indefinitely!

Want to hear what my take on the Cardassian language sounds like? Well, wander on over to Ad Astra to find out!

http://www.adastrafanfic.com
Old September 8 2009, 06:37 AM   #39
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I've just done a major overhaul on "Regions of Cardassia: Peoples and Lands." Even if you've read it before, there's a lot of new material, so enjoy!

http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=137
Old September 8 2009, 09:36 PM   #40
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Hey, Nerys!

EXCELLENT world-building!

Also, like the nice explanation for why the color of kanar seems to change throughout the show--different "brands", as made by different "races".

I...don't think I could embellish more without basically repeating what everyone else has said--so I'll just say: great work!

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 06:26 AM   #41
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I REALLY appreciate you taking time to read some worldbuilding--that means a lot!!
Old October 22 2009, 01:49 AM   #42
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I have a new drawing for you guys...some worldbuilding stuff you won't see quite yet, but soon:

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=106368
Old November 2 2009, 06:33 AM   #43
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I'm working on a new drawing now--this one is of AU Skrain and Ziyal Dukat, from Catacombs of Oralius.

You can watch them come to life here:
http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=107134

Everybody say, "Awwwwwww!"