A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 31 2009, 06:36 PM   #2386
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Yeah, it is exciting (Werder Bremen finished 10th last season, so I suppose I like some variability, even though they finished 2nd the season before). The Bundesliga is also very close to taking 3rd place in the UEFA rankings from Serie A and getting a fourth CL spot.
Old October 31 2009, 08:02 PM   #2387
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Iasius wrote: View Post
PS: Hertha BSC was a contender for the title last year (they finished 5th and are in the EL). How quickly things change.
Well naturally Andrei Voronin is a massive loss to any sid... oh I can't finish that sentence. Awful player

I do like good open leagues like the Bundesliga. And I'd be more than happy to see 4 German teams in the CL instead of the Italians.

Bet Liverpool would like a good open league at the moment. They're down and out now. I didn't think it could get any worse for them after the beachball, but today's game was a real farce, mainly due to bizarre tactics and prioritising the Champions League game. At 1:1 Liverpool were, AFAIK, still controlling play and could have probably pushed for the win. So what does Benitez do? Subs off his only two matchwinners so he can play them in Lyon. Foolish, in my opinion. That's one title challenger out of the race... though of course I predicted from the off they were never in it to start with
Old October 31 2009, 08:23 PM   #2388
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Hehe, not a good day for the top teams. Leverkusen drew, Bremen drew, Hamburg lost, Schalke drew, Bayern drew, Wolfsburg drew, Mainz drew.

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Iasius wrote: View Post
PS: Hertha BSC was a contender for the title last year (they finished 5th and are in the EL). How quickly things change.
Well naturally Andrei Voronin is a massive loss to any sid... oh I can't finish that sentence. Awful player
Well, no one really understood how exactly Hertha was so "good" last season (mainly a lot of lucky one goal difference wins, they were sort of the Greece of the last Bundesliga seasons). So there's a certain satisfaction among many that they play so badly this seasons.

(And Voronin's 11 goals in 27 games earned him a 16th place among goalscorers, not exactly stellar.)

Last edited by Iasius; October 31 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 09:18 PM   #2389
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Those results are superb and what keeps leagues interesting. I remember last year there were two days where the top five teams didn't even score, let alone win and it kept things tight for just that little longer.

I can't believe Voronin only got 11 though - it seemed like every week I was reading in the Bundesliga summary article he'd scored yet another winner. So now he's even more useless in my mind - thanks Iasiusthat's made my day!

Of course, as open leagues go, the Championship that Jax, Starkers and I follow is pretty gaping as well - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...le/default.stm
Old October 31 2009, 09:34 PM   #2390
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Those results are superb and what keeps leagues interesting. I remember last year there were two days where the top five teams didn't even score, let alone win and it kept things tight for just that little longer.
Well, most of them did score.
Schalke - Leverkusen: 2-2 (0-2)
Nürnberg - Bremen: 2-2 (2-0)
Hamburg - Gladback: 2-3 (1-1)
Stuttgart - Bayern: 0-0
Wolfsburg - Mainz: 3-3 (2-2)

They just didn't score more.

I can't believe Voronin only got 11 though - it seemed like every week I was reading in the Bundesliga summary article he'd scored yet another winner. So now he's even more useless in my mind - thanks Iasiusthat's made my day!
Glad to be of help in any way that lowers your opinion of Hertha('s ex-players).

Of course, as open leagues go, the Championship that Jax, Starkers and I follow is pretty gaping as well - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...le/default.stm
That does look really interesting.
Old October 31 2009, 10:56 PM   #2391
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
It must be quite exciting to have so much variability in your domestic league.
Actually, it's much more exciting than I'd like it to be - being a Bayern supporter, I like my Bundesliga exciting only as long as there is no doubt about who'll top the table in the end

By the way, great job by Schalke tonight, scoring twice inside the last seven minutes and forcing a draw against Leverkusen.
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 10:07 PM   #2392
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Damn you Billy Davies! Damn you and your shrewd substitutions! Damn Forest and injury time equalisers!
Old November 2 2009, 11:13 AM   #2393
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, whilst you might have expected Newcastle, WBA and Cardiff near the top who'd have seen Blackpool, Leicester and Bristol City in the top 6 at this stage. Ok it might not stay that way, but I still firmly expect another surprise team to get promoted ala Hull/Burnley etc.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 11:36 AM   #2394
Jax
Admiral

Damn you Billy Davies! Damn you and your shrewd substitutions! Damn Forest and injury time equalisers!
Lewis Mcgugan our best midfielder imo, gotta love the guy
Old November 5 2009, 03:15 AM   #2395
Jax
Admiral

BYE BYE Liverpool and also about time the CL got fun to watch this season. 3-3 Utd game was fantastic
Old November 5 2009, 07:37 AM   #2396
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Welcome to the Europa League Liverpool and Bayern.
Old November 5 2009, 01:15 PM   #2397
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

And Barca at this rate! Now that would be an incredible story.

Best group stage for bloody ages. And Roma v Fulham tonight I cannot wait.
Old November 5 2009, 09:52 PM   #2398
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Fuck, horrible, horrible perfomance by my club, that's the end of our run in the European Cup this year. Oh well, was nice while it lasted. Our Ultras made a nice Star Trek-themed intro though: [the banner says "let's go, boys, beam us to the final" (a little overly optimistic )]

Old November 13 2009, 09:27 AM   #2399
Jax
Admiral

Sad to hear about the German Keepers death, sounds like he could of been a big player for GER in the World Cup. Cudicini of Tottenham has been injured seriously in a motor bike accident yesterday and looks like his career is over from reports.

Bad week for Football really

On a positive note we get to see Ireland dump the french out hopefully I do fancy there chances, c'mon ireland it won't be a world cup party without the Irish to sing and drink with .

If you love Brazil or hate England then you will be happy come Saturday evening when the Samba boys stuff England because with the injuries I can't see us getting out of the Middle East with less than a 2-0 drubbing if not 3-0.
Old November 18 2009, 01:00 AM   #2400
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Ugh, Gibbs has followed Van Persie into the injury room. It's been a while since I've seen Traore at left back, hope he can fill in well enough. Rumor is that Gibbs fractured his metatarsal, if so that, like Clichy's back fracture, is a long term layoff.

I suppose Sagna could be shifted to left back though, and keep Eboue on the right.

Ramsey had a cracking game against Scotland, I'd love to see him play in Diaby's position more often.

I wonder if Wenger will switch to 4-4-2 and put Arshavin behind Eduardo, or if he'll keep the 4-3-3 and hope Eduardo can play as a target man.