RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,685
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 406
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 28 2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Ghostwatch Halloween 1992(BBC One)

^I missed it, but I just set a repeat to record. might just watch it on iPlayer though.

I think the problem with the BBC is there's a lot of knee jerk reactions, which they feel they have to do to keep the licence payer happy, but most people couldn't give a shit but the idiots make some noise so they do something to "correct" a "mistake" which wasn't really a mistake (or really was a mistake that just needed apologising for) and didn't really need correcting. Like with these new guidelines they're putting in place about offence... Anyone who hasn't filled it out, it's here, fill it out so it's not just a load of easily offended idiots filling it out wanting tougher rules and censorship on the BBC.
Old October 28 2009, 06:21 PM   #17
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Sever-O wrote: View Post
There was a really good programme on BBC4 last night called 'Ghosts in the Machine', which examined the history of paranormal television in the UK. Ghostwatch featured on it towards the end, and they interviewed a few of the people involved in the show, including Sarah Greene, who made an interesting point about the timing of the broadcast which may have contributed to the fact that a lot of people believed it to be real. Apparently, there was a film airing on ITV at the same time, and it cut to an advert break just after the opening credits of Ghostwatch had ended. Many people flicked around during the adbreak, and came across Ghostwatch and thought they were watching a live broadcast.

The backlash that arose as a result of the show still baffles me to this day. I thought it was a fantastic piece of television, that had the fortune of a number of outside circumstances combine to create an event that not many people will forget in a hurry. People are correct to compare it to Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast, as it had a very similar effect on the British public. You can tell most of the people who critisised it - the kind of idiots who sat on debate shows not long after, talking about how the BBC had "betrayed" the viewing public - were just embarrassed that they'd been so effectively taken in by it.
Yeah this was a fantastic piece of TV, and i remember the same furor that happened with the Paul Daniels magic show, were he did the trick called dead mans hand with some cards, just as he turns over the last card you here a loud gun shot and the screen goes dead......the next day you would have thought he had killed a kitten on TV with a hammer the way the show was attacked and complained about all across the entire media.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 09:48 PM   #18
Saul
Rear Admiral

Flip, has it reall ybeen 17 years? When I watched this I thought it was live too. Done well and scary but I had no idea what the heck had just happened when it ended like that and the next morning on "Going Live" everything seemed fine.
Old October 28 2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Apparently there are rumours there's going to be a special edition 2 disc release with a documentary that was made last year Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains.
I don't know if it's true, but I hope so.
Old October 29 2009, 12:04 AM   #20
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

That the trouble with the internet. Shows like this could never be made these days with out the cat being let out of the bag.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 08:33 PM   #21
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

Speaking of dramas disguised as live broadcasts, there was a radio play in 1996 in the UK which told the events of the film Independence Day from the British perspective, produced by Dirk Maggs (he of the recent H2G2 radio adaptations) - a kind of tribute to Orson Welles's War of the Worlds. It was apparently given the blessing of Dean Devlin, and featured Nicky Campbell and Patrick Moore. I wonder if it's still available?

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 11:45 PM   #22
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Got round to watching Ghost in the Machine tonight. I thought it was interesting seeing the way the shows have basically gone from low tech by necessity to high tech effects, back to low tech by design.
Old November 1 2009, 04:38 AM   #23
Mike Farley
Commodore

I didn't see this live because...well, I live in the USA, but I do have it on DVD. I thought it was pretty effective. Until the end when the ghost invades the TV studio (I think I'm remembering that correctly?).

But that's the problem with pretty much all these "real" footage style movies, the endings are always lacking. Paranormal Activity sees to have pulled it off the best, but still that last lunge at the camera is pretty cheesy.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2009, 09:42 AM   #24
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I didn't see this live because...well, I live in the USA, but I do have it on DVD. I thought it was pretty effective. Until the end when the ghost invades the TV studio (I think I'm remembering that correctly?).

But that's the problem with pretty much all these "real" footage style movies, the endings are always lacking. Paranormal Activity sees to have pulled it off the best, but still that last lunge at the camera is pretty cheesy.
On Ghost in the Machine the writer said their original ending was going to be to imply the evil from the house had managed to escape through the TV in to every house viewing it. I don't know how they would have pulled that off but that would have been excellent.