To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 28 2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A couple more aliens from behind the scenes

Christopher wrote: View Post
It bugs me that on the command chair's arm controls, "Hail" and "Fire" are right next to each other. One slip of the finger could start a war.
Well, the other reality had "Alert" and "Jettison Pod" right next to each other...
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 06:24 PM   #17
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

I thought there was a salt vampire see when I was listening to the Trek Cast the guy from trekmovie said there was a member of the salt vampire species maybe I was wrong anyway those pics are awesome.
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 07:09 PM   #18
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

By the way, they had this chess tournament and Yelchin used to kick Greenwood's ass. So when in the documentary Greenwood is supposed to talk about Yelchin he just stares for a few seconds:

and goes : Next !
That's funny.
That's hilarious. Looks like the cast really got along well and had fun which showed in the film.
Old October 28 2009, 08:59 PM   #19
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

You can really see the resemblance between Quinto and his brother, even with the makeup.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 12:02 AM   #20
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

I love the meeting pics with Nichelle and Zoe, Walter and Anton very nice and warming
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 12:46 AM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
As per usual, the concept art shows that the VFX team really took Church's overall excellent version of the Enterprise in the wrong direction.
Yes, and it hurts pretty badly.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 02:08 AM   #22
Tom Servo
Commodore

As per usual, the concept art shows that the VFX team really took Church's overall excellent version of the Enterprise in the wrong direction.
Besides the bussard color and the deflector dish, they aren't THAT different, certainly not enough for me to understand why someone would like one and not the other...

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 02:22 AM   #23
cubbie
Vice Admiral

These photos are great! Thanks!
cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 04:26 AM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The version closer to Church's is not as good as what they ended up with.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 04:29 AM   #25
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Besides the bussard color and the deflector dish, they aren't THAT different, certainly not enough for me to understand why someone would like one and not the other...
Well, it's the little things--the proportions of the engines relative to the rest of the ship, the spacing of said engines, the length and curvature of the nacelle pylons, the hull detailing, the rim of the saucer, the thickness of the saucer, the shape of the bridge dome, the "planetary sensor dome" (or whatever that is on the bottom of the saucer), the retention of the copper rings behind the deflector dish now seemingly encased behind a glass dome, and, yes, the bussards and the deflector dish.

The design needs more development that this, obviously, but I would like to have seen it evolve in a direction other than modifying the proportions and grafting movie refit details all over the hull. Church's decision to take what's clearly the original 1960s ship and reinterpret it through an organic "technology unchained" lens feels fresh, and I think the final version deserved more of that and less of what we got. (Which is not to say I hate what we saw in the film, I just don't love it either. It certainly doesn't have the same impact, IMO, that these concept paintings do.)
Old October 29 2009, 10:47 AM   #26
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

The sad thing for me about the new alien pics is that it is entirely likely that is ALL we will ever see or know about them. Old school Trek made a point to create names and planets and histories for it's aliens...
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:19 PM   #27
Data Holmes
Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Well, it's the little things--the proportions of the engines relative to the rest of the ship, the spacing of said engines, the length and curvature of the nacelle pylons, the hull detailing, the rim of the saucer, the thickness of the saucer, the shape of the bridge dome, the "planetary sensor dome" (or whatever that is on the bottom of the saucer), the retention of the copper rings behind the deflector dish now seemingly encased behind a glass dome, and, yes, the bussards and the deflector dish.

The design needs more development that this, obviously, but I would like to have seen it evolve in a direction other than modifying the proportions and grafting movie refit details all over the hull. Church's decision to take what's clearly the original 1960s ship and reinterpret it through an organic "technology unchained" lens feels fresh, and I think the final version deserved more of that and less of what we got. (Which is not to say I hate what we saw in the film, I just don't love it either. It certainly doesn't have the same impact, IMO, that these concept paintings do.)

QFT
Old October 29 2009, 04:05 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
The sad thing for me about the new alien pics is that it is entirely likely that is ALL we will ever see or know about them. Old school Trek made a point to create names and planets and histories for it's aliens...
Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. Robert Fletcher did that for the background aliens in TMP, but we still know nothing about the various background ambassadors in "Journey to Babel," and the only information that's out there about the background aliens from The Voyage Home was invented by the creators of a tie-in RPG, not by the filmmakers themselves (though the production crew did have informal nicknames for one or two of the species, such as the Efrosians). There's a similar dearth of information about the background aliens from TFF, TUC, many TNG episodes, DS9, etc. If anything, Fletcher's thoroughness with the TMP aliens was the exception, not the rule.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 08:51 PM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
No. If you're talking about ST:TMP, then the UFP alien race names and mini-biographies were made up by costume designer, Robert Fletcher, and although his notes made it into places like the souvenir movie program, and a few gum cards, and "The Making of TMP", they weren't necessary noticed or accepted by future productions. Many of the alien ambassadors' distinctive outfits were given to brand new UFP aliens in ST IV. For example, in ST IV, the Tellarites wear TMP Kazarite robes, and a human female wears a TMP Arcturian's leather uniform. Other humanoids wear TMP Zaranite suede with new turbans, and the ST IV Zaranites are presumed as such because they are wearing the old TMP breathing masks.

Similarly, the bar scene of ST III had lots of quirky aliens, none of whom were named, or ever seen again. Ditto most of the aliens of ST V.

The ST IV aliens were named by FASA RPG, with only the Efrosian named in production materials (a caption in an official still) - and the ST VI novelization ended up branding the same race (the new UFP President) a Deltan!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 08:57 PM   #30
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

One more alien

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote