The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 29 2009, 03:25 AM   #166
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Havinv just watched The Plan myself I'll say it was satisfactory. Nothing special, but not disappointing either. It was entertaining. Some specific things I'd like to point out:

-This actually did a pretty good job at creating individual personalities for different copies of the same Cylon model. It's a bit of a shame they never went to this extent in the series.
The show did it a lot with Eight and especially with Six, but not so much with the others (though one could make the case for Fives considering the differences between, for instance, the Overseer Five from season 1, the angry Five on New Caprica and the Five who manipulated Jammer in the webisodes, but I suspect that this happened only because Bennett was available at the time, so he was the go-to cylon). The Plan was the first time we've seen Ones and Fours with different personalities.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
-Complaint: was it really necessary to include that kid that kept following Cavil around? The fact that Cavil was going to kill him was too predictable. And really, what purpose did this serve? Prove that Cavil is an evil bastard? Because we already knew that.
I thought this was actually one of the best parts of the movie.

The kid - whether he was real or just a figment of Cavil's imagination (or even a head person) - was Fleet Cavil's chance for love and redemption. Unlike the other Cylons in the movie, including the other Cavil, he decided to reject it. But that's not all. The name "John" only emphasized that the boy reminded Cavil of himself (which is exactly why I think he might not have been real). By killing the boy, while telling him that he should learn not to look for friendship, as it only makes you weak and vulnerable, Cavil tried to show that, contrary to what Six had said, he could fight against love - and that he was not going to allow himself be defeated by giving in to a need for love... but he was also punishing, rejecting and trying to kill the part of himself that was a little boy who needed his "parents" (the Final Five) to love him - which was why he did all those things in the first place.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 29 2009, 04:32 AM   #167
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Saul's Eye wrote: View Post
Where was this negated to nonsense or drug induced barminess? It was seen on screen by other characters.
The glowing spine was never seen by anyone and was never shown again. I believe the writer's even mentioned what a upid and embarrassing idea it was. You'll also note that we never saw the plug-wires-into-your-vein move again throughout the rest of the series, despite it being a pretty damn useful ability in a number of places. The least of which was in The Plan when all those Cylon skinjobs were desperate to sabotage the ship.
We saw the "plug-in trick" in Flight of the Phoenix, Lay Down Your Burdens, and the Face of the Enemy. We saw the glowing spine in the Mini and Six Degrees of Separation (and would've seen it if they hadn't decided against the Gaeta/Sweet Eight sex scene. What they had planned sounded pretty cool cinematographically, with us not actually seeing the spine light up, but seeing the light reflected on the wall behind the Eight).

So, that's three each. It's not exactly Spock's brother or the Warp-Ten Lizards.
Old October 29 2009, 04:45 AM   #168
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The important question, is they male nudity or not?
Old October 29 2009, 04:46 AM   #169
RoJoHen
Awesome

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
They actually zoomed in on a dude's dick. It was weird.
Old October 29 2009, 04:46 AM   #170
David cgc
Vice Admiral

We see quite a bit more bare-assed Colonial soldier than I would've expected in a quick scene in one of Galactica's co-ed showers.

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
Moreso when you consider that, in all likelihood, Edward James Olmos himself explicitly ordered the camera man to do it.
Old October 29 2009, 04:50 AM   #171
RoJoHen
Awesome

David cgc wrote: View Post
We see quite a bit more bare-assed Colonial soldier than I would've expected in a quick scene in one of Galactica's co-ed showers.

Moreso when you consider that, in all likelihood, Edward James Olmos himself explicitly ordered the camera man to do it.
"I really want the audience to know this guy has a penis so they can relate to him." Or something.
Old October 29 2009, 04:59 AM   #172
Harvey
Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
We saw the "plug-in trick" in Flight of the Phoenix, Lay Down Your Burdens, and the Face of the Enemy. We saw the glowing spine in the Mini and Six Degrees of Separation (and would've seen it if they hadn't decided against the Gaeta/Sweet Eight sex scene. What they had planned sounded pretty cool cinematographically, with us not actually seeing the spine light up, but seeing the light reflected on the wall behind the Eight).

So, that's three each. It's not exactly Spock's brother or the Warp-Ten Lizards.
Was the glowing spine in The Face of the Enemy seriously considered, though? Moore is pretty clear in several of the commentaries that he thinks the glowing spine was a mistake, and regards it as a visual cheat for the audience's benefit, not a literal occurence.

Though it did make for a good promo--the one Patricia Clarkson narrated with the Cylon fetus that had the glowing spine. I bet that's on Youtube somewhere.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 29 2009, 05:01 AM   #173
Immolatus
Captain

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
trekkier wrote: View Post
Where are people seeing this?
It's a bit confusing, but if you know where to look, there's a torrent of options out there.
you know it was this web site that got me into the torrents
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Old October 29 2009, 05:07 AM   #174
Immolatus
Captain

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
TheGhoulBen wrote: View Post
- I'm of two minds about Boomer. On the one hand, this is probably the only way to explain her actions in the first season, but seeing her talking to Cavil and knowing that she's a Cylon before being resurrected felt a bit off. She accepted that she was a Cylon agent very quickly when she saw the elephant, but after resurrection it took her months to accept that she's a Cylon?
I'm not sure what you're saying here... I was confused by the Boomer thing as well, at first, and I wondered if we're supposed to think that she knew she was a Cylon. Which would have meant that I would have to spit on The Plan, Jane Espenson and Ron Moore for the biggest, least necessary and most absurd retcon and character assassination of the show - not to mention that it all wouldn't have made any sense at all, because in that case, she wouldn't have been a sleeper agent at all!

Then I noticed the toy elephant thingy and what Cavil was doing with it, and paid more attention to her behavior... And the only way it can all make sense is if, as it seems to me, we're supposed to think that Boomer had some sort of split personality, one who believed she was human, and one who knew she was a Cylon, and the former had no idea what the latter was doing. And the elephant seems to be some sort of device which allowed her 'aware' state to be triggered (and finished). The camera was constantly focusing on the elephant, and Cavil was holding it - or putting it in her arms - whenever he had his conversations with her. In the water scene, she seemed completely baffled by finding herself there (just as she actually was in season 1), right after Cavil left. And in their final conversation, when she was in the brig, it looked like she stopped recognizing him the moment he took the elephant away, when she said "I don't need a priest".

Or, maybe none of this is true, and I'm just giving the writers too much credit and making sense of things, when they're actually morons who have just ignored any continuity and devalued the entire season 1 and Boomer's story.
did they bring elephants with them once they left the colonies?
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Old October 29 2009, 05:15 AM   #175
RoJoHen
Awesome

Boomer's human personality was obviously the dominant one while she was undercover, but her programming was obviously flawed because she was always subconsciously aware something was wrong with her. I mean, she tried to kill herself because of it.

It's very possible that the Boomer's human personality was the one that transferred during her resurrection in "Downloaded."
Old October 29 2009, 05:45 AM   #176
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I haven't seen it, but I give this move A+!!!

Can I get a torrent for only that scene? I'll wait until it's on TV, but I really want to see this weird scene now!

I really wish BSG/Caprica were now on HBO.
Old October 29 2009, 05:50 AM   #177
RoJoHen
Awesome

I haven't seen it, but I give this move A+!!!

Can I get a torrent for only that scene? I'll wait until it's on TV, but I really want to see this weird scene now!

I really wish BSG/Caprica were now on HBO.
It's just a random locker room scene. There are naked people walking around. And there's a naked dude shaving or brushing his teeth or something (can't remember, but he's standing in front of the mirror). The camera is moving around and then very zooms in directly on the guy's penis.

I honestly have no idea what the point of it was.
Old October 29 2009, 06:14 AM   #178
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Who doesn't like some cock with their BSG?
Old October 29 2009, 06:17 AM   #179
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not gonna lie, I would've been okay without it.
Old October 29 2009, 06:38 AM   #180
Checkmate
Commodore

I don't remember the scene focusing on it at all, especially not some epic zoom that you seem to be implying. There was just a scene in a coed shower room that had naked people in the background, one of which happened to be a guy.

What nudity there was in the show was certainly gratuitous in that it wasn't needed to drive the story along, but it's not like the show ever focused on it anymore than it did a matte painting or other background scenery.