Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Spider-Man Post Brand New Day

Like many I was shocked and appalled that Spider-Man sold his soul to the devil to magically erase his marriage to MJ from continuity, and refused to read the new stories for a couple of years after that.

But I recently got a few of the Brand New Day trades and I must begrudgingly admit they're damn good. I don't like the road we took to get here, but these are some of the best Spidey stories I've ever read. The plots are big and momentous and the supporting cast is more interesting than it's been in a very long time.

So what do you think of the new Spidey? And what are your favorite and least favorite stories from it? I'm wondering which other trades to buy.

"New Ways to Die", which featured the return of Norman Osbourn and the Thunderbolts and Venom to the pages of Spidey, was absolutely excellent. Hilarious dialogue and John Romita Jr art (my all time favorite Spidey artist).

"Election Day" was another insta-classic, the culimination of two years of storylines with Menace and the Spider Tracer Killer and the NYC Mayoral Election. And again, gorgeous JRJR artwork.

I've always read "Brand New Day" Volumes 1 2 3 and "Kraven's First Hunt". BND123 were pretty good but not classic, while Kraven I found extremely uninteresting.

So what else is good out there? I'm looking forward to the "American Son" trade this Nov 25th which apparently features a Dark Reign Norman dealing with Harry.

Have they revealed yet whether MJ remembers the real continuity or not? It's heavily implied in the early issues.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: Spider-Man Post Brand New Day

The only thing is could these stories have been told while keeping him married?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Well now, they could at least tell more stories about a character their core fanbase could relate to: an unmarried thirty year old guy living with his surrogate mother.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; October 28 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
O'Dib
Commodore

Wasn't it M.J. who agreed to have their love erased in order to save Aunt May? Or was it that she had sex with Mephisto in order to erase Pete's identity reveal as well?
Old October 28 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
ClayinCA
Commodore

Neither Mary Jane nor Peter had sex with Mephisto - not sure where you got that from. Although Mary Jane was the one who accepted Mephisto's offer to sacrifice their marriage in return for saving Aunt May's life, it was stated quite clearly that this would only work if Peter agreed to the deal as well (an important distinction to those who say that Peter is blameless in the whole thing since it was Mary Jane who sealed the deal, etc).

The story behind the identity-reveal erasure hasn't been told yet, though the issue has been dealt with a little bit in the team-up with the Fantastic Four a few months back.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 08:42 PM   #6
EnterpriseF
Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Like many I was shocked and appalled that Spider-Man sold his soul to the devil to magically erase his marriage to MJ from continuity, and refused to read the new stories for a couple of years after that.

But I recently got a few of the Brand New Day trades and I must begrudgingly admit they're damn good. I don't like the road we took to get here, but these are some of the best Spidey stories I've ever read. The plots are big and momentous and the supporting cast is more interesting than it's been in a very long time.

So what do you think of the new Spidey? And what are your favorite and least favorite stories from it? I'm wondering which other trades to buy.

"New Ways to Die", which featured the return of Norman Osbourn and the Thunderbolts and Venom to the pages of Spidey, was absolutely excellent. Hilarious dialogue and John Romita Jr art (my all time favorite Spidey artist).

"Election Day" was another insta-classic, the culimination of two years of storylines with Menace and the Spider Tracer Killer and the NYC Mayoral Election. And again, gorgeous JRJR artwork.

I've always read "Brand New Day" Volumes 1 2 3 and "Kraven's First Hunt". BND123 were pretty good but not classic, while Kraven I found extremely uninteresting.

So what else is good out there? I'm looking forward to the "American Son" trade this Nov 25th which apparently features a Dark Reign Norman dealing with Harry.

Have they revealed yet whether MJ remembers the real continuity or not? It's heavily implied in the early issues.
I was one of the fanboys that boycotted AMS after BND. But after reading American Son I was hooked again. I love the book. I just hate how Marvel (Quesada) got there.
Old October 28 2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I thought Kraven killed himself years ago. How did he come back?
Old October 28 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

It's his late wife and daughter.
Old October 28 2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I have to admit that i've been reading the trades and following the storyline and have...ugh...can't believe I'm saying this...enjoying Brand New Day. Especially the stories that have begun to include Spider-man into the Marvel Universe like American Son and the aforementioned New Ways to Die. Also how many illegitimate children can Norman have the

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I really, really enjoyed it, thus far.

My question is; did Marvel know how screwed up they made Spider-Man and were trying to simply press a reset button? Or did they just plan this out this long?
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 10:53 PM   #11
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've been reading them either on the stand or picking them up en masse for $1 a piece at comic shows. Seeing as how dealers are overordering just to get a vairant they are ditching the surplus(proof how readership is down) in the cheap bin.

I also AM still anti-BND.
Color me unimpressed with the Menace storyline.
Freak, Screwball and Paperdoll aren't that interesting. Not that every Spidey villain is anyway but these mediocore stories could've been told with a married Peter&MJ heck a legit divoreced Peter&MJ with Aunt May dead.

The Anti-Venom storyline was the first glimmer of an actual good story post OMD.
The return of the Kravinoffs is nothing new. The Spidey team(in some form) has revisited that family at least 3 times prior. Again could've been done with Spidey&MJ together.

Aunt May in bed with JJJ's father??? Stupid
Peter trying to avoid his roomie and keep the secret, not impressed, boring stuff.

The upcoming Gauntlet storyline is just a retooling of Sinister Six in a way meets Knightfall(at least the advance solicits read that way).

I'm not even one of those who says the marriage has to come back.
What I do want gone is the uncharteristic ties to Mephisto.
Aunt May would have used what strength she had to kick Peter in the ass for dealing with the devil for her. That is not being RESPONSIBLE at all.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 11:12 PM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

As for what came before, I got every single trade of the JMS run on Spidey and I enjoyed it (even if he did the usual recycling of B5 concepts and dialogue that marks all his post-B5 work). Sure some bits were better than others but I thought he had a good voice for Spidey and the whole Ezekiel storyline was pretty cool. Plus almost the entire run was with JRJR art!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 11:46 PM   #13
O'Dib
Commodore

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
Neither Mary Jane nor Peter had sex with Mephisto - not sure where you got that from.
I seem to remember seeing her whisper something in Mephisto's ear, y'know, like she was offering to sweeten the deal. I fugured that's why Pete got more than just auntie back.
Old October 29 2009, 12:00 AM   #14
Anwar
Vice Admiral

All of these stories could have been told with him married to MJ, and overall everytime they do a story to shake things up they wuss out.

Case in point: Harry SHOULD have become American Son and permanently become part of Norman's team, while working to take him out from within. No Menace being pregnant BS. It would redeem Harry's character after decades of him being this neurotic manchild.

Also, as soon as Dark Reign started it should have been reflected in the books instead of just American Son (even now the books seem like DR isn't happening).

And this BS with Peter having a drunked one-night stand with Michelle, that isn't Spider-Man EVER.

No, it's just no good.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Like many I was shocked and appalled that Spider-Man sold his soul to the devil to magically erase his marriage to MJ from continuity,
superhero comics are so f'in stupid.

Thank god people make movies and cartoons out of them so we can enjoy the heroes without having to sit through this insipid nonsense.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote