A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 23 2009, 09:49 PM   #211
CaptainSarine
Commander

Re: Star Trek : Restoration

(continued)

Secondary Control Junction
IKS Rath'gan

Keene felt a surge of relief when Lady J'tar of the House of Koloth appeared on the screen. An imperious, silver-haired woman, J’tar was one of Empress Likana’s most trusted allies, a highly placed member of the High Council. She was also the architect of the Empire’s intelligence service. She frowned when she saw him, her prominent forehead ridges drawing together.

"Operative L’goth? Why are you contacting me from a Klingon ship?"

"Redemption has captured the IKS Rath'gan,” he said rapidly. “I have been able to gain access to their comm system."

"What is Redemption doing attacking a Klingon ship?” Lady J’tar demanded. “And why haven't you contacted me using the usual channels?"

Keene quickly explained everything that had happened, including the meeting he had witnessed between Kalara and the doctor, the distress call and the battle. Once he was done, he clenched his fists.

"It is imperative that you arrange for my extraction from Redemption before they discover who I am."

"That is quite impossible." She waved her hand dismissively.

"But my lady..."

"Kho’ta!" she cursed. "Are you questioning my orders?"

"I am questioning your sanity!"

Her eyes narrowed. "Be careful the line you choose to walk, operative. And think. We may be days away from war with the Federation, a war we are unprepared for."

"Then why attack a Federation convoy unless..." His eyes widened as he realised the truth. "Unless these were not acting under orders from the Empress."

"So you aren't as foolish as you seem! No, these ships had nothing to do with us. I think I know who it was, though."

"Who?"

"Someone who wants to see the Empire at war with the Federation. The same person who encouraged the Empress to attack Redemption. We were willing to bide our time, continue stringing the Federation along until we were truly prepared for war. Someness else wants things to move more quickly.” She shook her head. “Their identity is not important. Your mission, though, is more important now than it ever was. You must remain aboard Redemption and complete it.”

“But how? I have no means of destroying this ship, not anymore. Even if I wanted to plant an explosive charge, I have no guarantee that the whole ship would be destroyed.”

“Your mission was not to destroy Redemption, operative L’goth. Your mission was to destroy any chance of an alliance between the Federation and the Laurentine Hegemony. And that mission can still be completed.”

“How?”

“You will bide your time until Redemption reaches Hegemony space. And then you will assassinate one of the Laurentii engaged in talks.”

“But what will that accomplish? The moment I kill one of the Laurentii, my cover will be blown. They will kill me and they will discover the subterfuge, that I am a Klingon.”

“Then we will just have to make sure that that discovery is enough to destroy the alliance.”

“How?” As he asked the question, he realised. He laughed. “The device. You want me to use it to take someone else’s place, a Starfleet officer. And assassinate the Laurentii as that person.”

“Commander Kalara seems a likely candidate.”

It made sense. If Kalara killed one of the Laurentii, it would not only destroy any chance of an alliance, it would most probably lead to war between the Hegemony and the Federation. And since, as the humans liked to say, the enemy of your enemy is your friend, it might just push the Hegemony into the Empire’s arms.

“A cunning plan, my lady.”

“I do not need your approval, operative.”

“Of course, my lady,” Keene said, bowing his head to hide his gritted teeth. “But what about my cover? Lieutenant-Commander Kalara and the shuvoth’shu traitor know someone has been impersonating her. They will not stop until they find the traitor.”

“Then perhaps it is time we turned their attention elsewhere.”

“How?”

She sighed. “Must I do everything for you like a babe, operative?” He bristled, but stayed quiet. She shook her head. “Remember, you have an ally onboard that ship.”

He did remember. “The spy who left me the codes.”

“Indeed. I think it is time we arranged a rendez-vous.”

“Who is it?”

“I do not know. But I can contact someone who does. I will have the spy contact you and arrange a meeting. You will work together to undo the damage you have done. But be careful, operative L’goth. Do not, under any circumstances, share our other plans with the Federation spy. In this our interests do not intersect.”

“Understood.”

“Good. Now go. I am sure they will be looking for you soon.”

He nodded his head. “I hear and I obey, my lady.”

“Qa-plagh, operative L’goth.”

“Qa-plagh, my lady.”

She vanished from the screen, leaving him alone in the silent control room. He allowed himself a moment to digest what she had said. This changed everything, all of his plans. He had been expecting to be going home – instead he had been given a new mission. Still, having that new direction might just give him the impetus he needed. He smiled. He realised that he was actually looking forward to it.

Shaking his head, he turned and walked back towards the door. Pressing the button again, he unlocked it, waiting for it to slide open. Then he stepped out into the corridor.

Time to find the others and get back to the ship. Time to start putting his plans in motion.

Bridge
USS Redemption

“Captain, we’re receiving a hail from the Cardassian freighter.” Lieutenant-Commander Dax turned to look at him. “It is Commander Ly’et.”

“Put her through,” Ba’el ordered, dropping the viewfinder back over his eye.

Prin appeared, the smoke-stained bridge of the freighter behind her. She had a scar above her left eye and her cheeks were grey from smoke and soot. Still, she was smiling.

“Good news, captain. Lieutenant-Commander Kane was able to stabilise the warp matrix. The ship is out of danger.”

Ba’el felt a surge of relief. “That is good news. How are the crew?”

Her face grew darker. “Unfortunately, most of the bridge crew were killed in the attack. I suggest I remain onboard with two others in order to run things until we reach Romulus.”

“That’s going to take a whole day,” Ba’el said, thinking ahead to the launch of Redemption.

“Don’t worry, captain,” Prin said, as if reading his mind. “We’ll be back in time for the launch.”

You’d better be, Ba’el thought. He still wanted to have that little talk before they left.

“Very well,” he said, nodding.

“Any news on the Klingon ship?” Prin asked.

Ba’el glanced up at Dax, who was talking to someone on his own viewfinder. The Trill turned and looked at Ba’el, listening to whoever he was communicating with, and then nodded.

“Lieutenant Vareen is reporting that the ship has been secured. Ten Klingons have been captured and are awaiting transport to the brig.”

“Did you catch that, Commander?”

Prin nodded. “What is the status of their engines?”

Ba’el relayed the question to Jasto, who asked Lieutenant Vareen. He came back with an answer a few moments later.

“They suffered some damage and will require a few hours to repair. Lieutenant Vareen feels the ship should be ready to go by 1500 hours.”

Ba’el nodded, relieved. It looked like his gamble had paid off. They were going to be able to save both ships after all.

“Captain, may I make a suggestion?”

Ba’el turned his attention back to Prin, frowning. What now? “That depends.”

“On what?”

“On whether it will be as good as your last suggestion,” he replied darkly.

“Actually, it is just as good.”

“Prin…”

“Captain.” She cut him off. “I think you should ask Lieutenant-Commander Kalara to command the Klingon ship back to Romulus.”

“Out of the question.”

“Captain.” She lowered her voice. “Bay. You have to make your peace with her eventually. She was wrong. I think she knows that. She almost lost her whole career. If you reach out to her, I think you’ll find she will be an asset.”

Ba’el gritted his teeth. She betrayed me! If there was one thing he had learned during the rebellion, it was the importance of being able to trust people. He had thought he could trust Kiralatan. Instead he had betrayed him, and Ba’el had lost his wife and son as a result. He couldn’t… He wouldn’t make that mistake again.

And yet… He knew that Prin had a point. Again, his mind played back what he had said to her over dinner. He knew he was far from being a perfect commander. He let his emotions run the rule on his reason. That was an asset in a lot of situations, providing him with the instincts he needed to make the quick decisions a captain needed to. But it could also be a blind spot when it wasn’t reined in. He needed Prin there to call him on it. And that was exactly what she was doing.

Going against his instinct, he nodded. “Fine. But you tell her.”

“I think it would be better coming from you.”

“Don’t push it, Commander. I’ll give you this one.”

She looked as though she were going to argue the point some more, but eventually she sighed and nodded. “Can I at least tell her it came from you?”

“You can tell her whatever the hell you want.”

“Understood,” Prin said with a wry smile. “Ly’et out.”

She vanished, the viewfinder resolving into an image of the freighter and the Bird-of-Prey. Ba’el stared at them for a moment. What do you know? he thought. Another win. Time to call it in. Standing up, he lifted the headset off and put it down on the chair. Turning, he caught Dax’s eye.

“Lieutenant-Commander, please contact Starfleet Command. Get me Admiral Kovat and put it through to my ready room.”

“Aye sir.” Dax turned and began to input the frequency.

“You have the bridge.”

Dax nodded, finishing inputting the frequency and then leaving his seat to Lieutenant Barani. Ba’el wondered idly whether anything further had happened with the two of them since he saw them together on the bridge the day Prin arrived. None of my business, he told himself. Still, Lieutenant-Commander Dax seemed to be working out well. I think we made a damned fine choice there.

They all do. Although he knew that only time would tell how well this crew would work together over the long term, for now he was happy.

Redemption was off to a fine start.
Old October 24 2009, 07:33 AM   #212
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Ba’el’s ego still needs checked, but he’s beginning to mellow a bit with Prin’s help. I have to keep reminding myself that this guy is the equivalent of a lifelong Maquis whose just been plunked down in a Starfleet uniform. He doesn’t have decades of Academy and Fleet indoctrination in the Starfleet ways of doing things… which is really rather refreshing when you think about it. Also, it’s a bit frightening, too.

Kalara did herself proud on this mission, and her combat skills are clearly nothing to take lightly. And kudos to the Ferengi ensign for stepping up and getting into the fight when it counted most.

The L’goth’s mission has just become a great deal more complicated and far more dangerous, most especially if he succeeds.

As always, terrific stuff!
Old October 25 2009, 10:30 AM   #213
CeJay
Commodore

Are we sure we don't want to rename this story Star Trek: Everybody Here Is A Spy And up To Something?

Tell you what though, I'm really warming up to Prin. Every officer who is trying to give Kalara another shot is a friend of mine. I love how she has completely blind-sided poor Ba'el. I do feel sympathetic for him. His gripe with Kalara is fully understandable - hey, she pointed a phaser at him - and is the stuff of some great character conflicts.

Digging it.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 09:32 AM   #214
CaptainSarine
Commander

Gibraltar

It's funny, I don't see Ba'el as being very egotistical - He just knows better than everybody else...

Yes, Prin is having a good effect on him, she's going to be hugely important on this mission, keeping Ba'el's more undiplomatic instincts in check and hopefully rounding out his harder edges somewhat.

A lifelong Maquis? Wow, that's a really interesting way of looking at it! I like it!

Yep, Kalara is slowly going to start prove herself again, both to Ba'el but also to herself. She needed this mission to show that she's still got it and she can be more than a simple adjutant to Benjamani.

Glad you're still enjoying this!

CeJay

Are we sure we don't want to rename this story Star Trek: Everybody Here Is A Spy And up To Something?
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!! Love it!

So glad you're liking Prin. Like I said to Gibraltar above, she's key to Ba'el - he really needs her to keep on the straight and narrow. She also understands how important it is that this mission go smoothly and for that Ba'el needs Kalara. She gets that and that's why she's pushing him so much.

Glad you're enjoying this too!
Old October 28 2009, 12:39 AM   #215
kes7
Fleet Captain

Kalara is flawed, but I like her so much, and I'm frustrated for her that the whole galaxy appears to be conspiring against her and using her as a pawn. But I have a feeling they're messing with the wrong Klingon.

Keene is a creep. The creepiest creep. The Ferengi ensign made me laugh, and then I wanted to cheer when he stabbed Kalara's attacker. Good stuff.

Oh, Sarine. Sigh.

He's happy? They're off to a fine start? If only he knew ...

Great chapter! I will miss this story a lot when it is on "hiatus."
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 03:21 PM   #216
CaptainSarine
Commander

kes7 wrote: View Post
Kalara is flawed, but I like her so much, and I'm frustrated for her that the whole galaxy appears to be conspiring against her and using her as a pawn. But I have a feeling they're messing with the wrong Klingon.

Keene is a creep. The creepiest creep. The Ferengi ensign made me laugh, and then I wanted to cheer when he stabbed Kalara's attacker. Good stuff.

Oh, Sarine. Sigh.

Hey!

Thanks so much for your comments, glad you're enjoying this story still and I take a mean pleasure from knowing you're going to miss it...

For you and all the Kalara fans out there, I promise she will be coming into her own in the next section of this story - I have a much more redemptive story arc in mind for her, leading towards the end of this first 'book' of the Restoration series.

It's funny, I know he's a bad guy, but I loooooove Keene. He's one of my favourite characters. I can't wait for the Keene/Kalara showdown!!

Hey, Sarine's being positive! But yeah, he may be a little bit naive.

More coming tonight and then only one more chapter until we wrap it up for the 'hiatus'.

Joel
Old October 28 2009, 04:42 PM   #217
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Oh, Sarine. Sigh.

Keene is a creep, I agree. But I like the writing and I like how we have this wealth of different type of characters. And Kalara, with her own issues, makes it all the better.

I hope more is to come!!!

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 08:27 PM   #218
Mistral
Vice Admiral

That was a great bit. Keene is heading for an early grave, IMO, if he keeps messing with your Klingon lady. Sarine is oblivious to the problems awaiting him and Prin is a really cool customer. Hate to think this is going on hiatus.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 09:42 PM   #219
CaptainSarine
Commander

Rob

Thank you soooo much for your comment. Glad you're enjoying all of these differing characters and watching them develop. Two more chapters to wrap up Volume II, and then unfortunately you'll have to wait until December for the beginning of the next.

Mistral

Thanks for the comment! So glad you're enjoying this still. Keene is definitely biting off possibly more than he can chew - I guess we'll find out!

Sorry about the hiatus, nanowrimo demands! Still, if anyone is interested, I will probably be posting a very rough draft of my nanonovel on my blog so if you want to carry on reading some of my stuff during the hiatus, you're more than welcome!
Old October 28 2009, 09:44 PM   #220
RobertScorpio
Pariah

CaptainSarine wrote: View Post
Rob

Thank you soooo much for your comment. Glad you're enjoying all of these differing characters and watching them develop. Two more chapters to wrap up Volume II, and then unfortunately you'll have to wait until December for the beginning of the next.

Mistral

Thanks for the comment! So glad you're enjoying this still. Keene is definitely biting off possibly more than he can chew - I guess we'll find out!

Sorry about the hiatus, nanowrimo demands! Still, if anyone is interested, I will probably be posting a very rough draft of my nanonovel on my blog so if you want to carry on reading some of my stuff during the hiatus, you're more than welcome!
December? Are you meeting up with Julie Andrews at a nunery school??? And what is a nanonovel?

Rob
Old October 28 2009, 10:03 PM   #221
CaptainSarine
Commander

Are you meeting up with Julie Andrews at a nunery school???
WTF?!!!! LOL! No. I'm participating in the NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth (NANOWRIMO) which is basically a competition where you have to write a 50k novel in a month.

Thus the hiatus on Restoration.
Old October 28 2009, 11:07 PM   #222
CaptainSarine
Commander

Chapter 15

Deputy Chief of Staff’s Office
Building 1, Federation Headquarters Complex
New York

"Colin."

The voice pulled Colin out of a deep sleep. Consciousness flooded in and pain erupted down his neck and along his spin. He groaned, feeling cold wood beneath his cheek. He had fallen asleep at his desk again. Third time this week. He lifted his head and stared up blearily to find J-L staring at him with a wry smile.

"What time is it?” he asked.

"Five in the morning."

"God." He sat upright, feeling muscles pop in his shoulders and back. Reaching up with one hand, he began to massage his constricted muscles. "I must have fallen asleep after the meeting."

"Obviously,” J-L said with a smirk.

"What are you still doing here?"

"I'm not still here. I just got back."

"So early?"

"Myriam called me back in. Something big is going down. She's been trying to reach you at home for the past hour and sent me down to see if you were still here."

His words woke Colin all the way up. Pushing his chair back, he stood, suddenly alert. "What's going on?"

J-L shook his head. "Myriam wouldn't say, but it can't be good – everyone is waiting for us in the Office."

That brought Colin up short. It must be bad if they had pulled the President out of bed.

"Ok, let's go."

He led J-L out into the empty sub-office, glancing at Nargle’s desk. He tried to remember what time the Ferengi had left. Shaking his head, he jogged down the corridor to the turbolift, pausing only long enough for J-L to catch up before stepping inside. Both men inserted the new keycards they had been given, waiting for their identity to be confirmed. The turbolift jumped into motion, rising to the next floor. The moment the doors slid open, Colin burst out and walked rapidly to the President's office, J-L hurrying to keep up.

In the Atrium, Baral Grax looked up at them both. Despite the hour, Grax looked as though he had been up for hours. He didn’t seem to need sleep.

"Are they in there?" Colin asked.

Grax nodded. "Ms Jones said to send you right in."

"Have they been in there long?"

"About half an hour."

Dammit! He shared a worried look with J-L. Who knew how much they had missed!

The Office de Concorde was as full as Colin had ever seen it. Besides Myriam and the President, almost the whole of the President’s personal staff, including his advisors and the Secretaries of every Federation ministry, stood or sat around the room. When Colin and J-L stepped inside, everyone looked up. Colin felt a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach – why wasn’t anyone talking when we walked in?

Myriam frowned. "Nice of you to join us Colin."

Colin ignored her tone. He wasn’t going to justify himself to her, not anymore. Although both of them had talked things out after their confrontation a few days earlier, and had come to an uneasy truce, Colin knew that things would never be the same between them. Myr must have known that too. "What's going on?"

Instead of answering, Myriam glanced at the President, who nodded somberly. Myriam held his gaze for a moment and then sighed.

"As of 0450 hours this morning, the Federation is officially at war with the Klingon Empire."

Colin stood there for a moment, just staring at her. Then he allowed himself to drop into the chair behind him. He vaguely noticed J-L do the same.

"How... What happened?"

"I'll give you a full briefing later on, but in a nutshell, Starfleet Command received a report late last night from the USS Redemption. A Federation freighter carrying medical supplies for the rebuilding of Romulus came under attack from three Klingon Birds-of-Prey. So far, none of the Klingons who were taken into custody have talked but… Initial analysis of the captured Bird-of-Prey’s computer core seems definite – the attack was ordered by the Imperial Navy." She hesitated before going on. "The President feels we have reached a breaking point. The borders have been closed and the full Federation ambassadorial staff have been recalled from Qo’nos."

So fast? J-L let out an explosive breath at his side. "I don't believe it has actually happened."

"What now?" Colin asked.

Admiral Barker, a burly human with white hair and a pepper beard who served as Federation Security Adviser, spoke up. "Starfleet has prepared a number of plans for securing the border. We have decided to seize a number of planets along the border, worlds that were in dispute at the end of the Occupation."

"How many ships are we talking about?" Press Secretary Gar’ka asked.

"As many as can be spared."

Colin couldn't believe it. As much as he had pushed in the last few days for the Federation to finally take action against the Klingons, part of him hadn’t really accepted what it meant for the Federation to go to war. He only vaguely remember the end of the Occupation, nothing more than scattered recollections of feeling terrified during the bombings as the Jem’hadar pulled off Earth, and the street parties that followed the official end of hostilities. Growing up, he had thought the Federation was done with war. It looked like he had been wrong.

Everyone in the room seemed to be thinking along the same lines. Colin had never seen so many sombre faces in one place. No one spoke, lost in their own fearful imaginings or anguished rememberings.

"What about Redemption," J-L asked after a moment of silence. Colin guessed he must be thinking about his cousin.

Strangely, Myriam looked at Colin before she answered him.

"Redemption's mission to the Hegemony is too important to cancel. She will proceed as scheduled."

She waited a few more moments before continuing, her eyes sweeping the room. "If no one else has anything, I think we'll call it a night. J-L, I know you need to get some sleep, but I need a statement ready for the President to make to the Federation by 0600 hours."

The Communication's Director nodded tiredly. Everyone began to file towards the door, and Colin stood, about to intercept J-L and offer his help in drafting the statement. Before he could take a single step, though, Myriam called him over.

Colin shared a short glance with J-L and then turned to see what Myriam wanted, but his boss shook her head curtly. Colin realised she didn't want to say anything until everyone had left the room. What is going on? Feeling increasingly uneasy, he waited while the Chiefs of Staff and Secretary Bramble of the State Department finished saying their goodbyes.

When the door finally closed behind them, Colin realised he was alone with Myriam and the President. President Baxter sighed and gave Colin a tired smile. He indicated for them all to sit down.

"Hell of a few weeks, hey Colin?"

"Yes sir."

"Almost beats the election campaign."

Colin couldn't hold back a grin, remembering the long hours and crazy twists and turns of that campaign. "I wouldn't go that far, sir."

"No.” The President nodded. “I suppose you're right."

There didn’t seem to be anywhere else for the conversation to go, leaving an uncomfortable silence to settle over the room. As usual, Myriam was the one to break it.

"The reason we called you in, Colin, is that we need you for a special assignement."

He tensed. "I already have a special assignement."

The President spoke up at his side. "We know you're not going to like this, son, but we wouldn't be asking you if we didn't need this like a Vulcan needs logic."

"You still haven't asked me anything."

Again, the President looked at Myriam.

"We - the President and I - want you to serve as Special Presidential Representative on the Redemption mission."

At first, Colin thought they were joking, like that one J-L and Myriam had pulled on him during the Tellarite trip. Then he saw the look on the President's face and he realised they were deadly serious.

"I don't understand," he said after a moment. Is this some way for Myriam to get rid of me?

"We need someone aboard that ship we can trust, someone who will be looking out for the interests of the whole Federation and not just Starfleet Command."

"You want a spy."

"If that is what you want to call it, then yes,” Myriam said brutally.

"What about my work here?" he asked after a moment. "You're going to need me in the next few weeks and months, especially with the war on."

"Colin, you have to realise that according to Starfleet's most optimistic estimates, at the very best we're looking at a war of attrition that is going to last for years with no gains on either side. As things stand, this war with the Klingons is one that we just can't win. Bringing the Laurentii in on our side, or at least gaining their technology, is our only hope."

Myriam shared a look with the President, then she looked back at Colin.

"In a nut shell, you're more useful to us out there than you are here at home."

Colin looked from one to the other. They were asking him to give up his life and his job here on Earth, to turn his back on everything he had worked so hard to gain, and put himself in a position where he would most likely be in direct conflict with the very people he had once sworn an oath to serve. He couldn’t do it.

Before he could say anything, the President put a hand on his shoulder.

"Colin, listen to me. I will not make this a direct order." Myriam stiffened beside him, but one quick glare stalled whatever she had been about to say. He turned back to Colin. "What I will say is that this is a direct request for help from your President.” He smiled. “I know that I'm not the President Starfleet was hoping for. I'm not a warrior - I spent most of the Resistance negotiating between the variois factions and trying to hold the Alliance together. I wasn't a fighter pilot, I didn't command a cruiser and the closest I came to live combat was the evacuation of Alpha Centauri."

His eyes glazed over slightly and Colin knew he was thinking back to the chaotic evacuation and the millions of dead left behind in the aftermath. Then his gaze cleared and when his eyes met Colin's again, the light within burned. "But I am the President of this Federation and I will not allow it to fall, whether to Klingons, or Andorians, or the Borg themselves. So I am asking you, as your President, to accept this mission. Be my eyes, my ears and my voice aboard that ship and make sure we get what we need."

Colin held the man's gaze for a moment longer, and remembered why it was exactly that he had joined this man's campaign all those years before. He still felt that he would be more useful to the President right where he was, but he also knew that he couldn't refuse that request. Finally, he smiled.

"When do I leave?"

Colin Grove’s Apartment
The EmpireStateBuilding

Hours later, Colin finally let himself into his apartment.

After catching a few hours sleep in one of the staff quarters, he had spent more time than he could spare delegating his work load to J-L and Myriam. Nargle had arranged their transport to Moscow, then booked Colin a taxi back home. Now, he only had another five hours left before he was due in the Moscow Starfleet Complex where Nargle and he would be catching a transport to the USS Highland, a refitted Galaxy-class ship from before the Occupation that would be joining the Redemption's support fleet at Khitomer.

Instead of going straight to his bedroom to start packing, though, Colin went to his office instead. As he reached the terminal set into his desk, he fished a folded piece of paper from his pocket. Sitting down, he smoothed the small card out on the desk and stared at it.

Lizabeth Carter
Special Assistant to Councillor James Kisburn

There was a comm terminal ident code beneath.

Colin had kept Lizabeth's card despite himself, telling himself that it could always be useful – politically speaking, of course. Now though, he was forced to admit the truth. He had kept it because of all the women he had had affairs with over the past few years, she was the first he hadn’t been able to forget.

Sighing, he turned on the terminal and as soon as the comm system activated, he input her ident. The system tried to connect the transmission for a few moments, then an automatic messaging system activated.

He hesitated to leave a message, then realised that he couldn't walk away without at least saying goodbye. So he waited nervously for the message to end and then he started to speak.

Councillor Kilburn’s Office
FederationCouncilBuilding

"And so... Well I guess I didn't want to leave without talking to you one last time and letting you know that I would like that dinner when I get back. If you're still interested. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say this face to face. Bye."

Lisbeth glanced at Colin’s face on the screen, then looked up and studied her boss's face. He frowned.

"The timing is unfortunate. When did you receive this?"

"He left it ten minutes ago."

Her boss nodded and stood. He walked over to the window and stared across the New York skyline at the Federation Headquarters complex.

"So President Baxter is sending his little pretend soldier to keep an eye on Redemption." He paused. "Do you think he suspects?"

Lisabeth shook her head. "No, sir. I think he's worried about Starfleet, as he should be. You played your hand beautifully."

James Kilburn, Councillor for the planet Nimbus III, leader of the Movement for Eugenics' rights, and founder of the organisation known only as the Company, turned to face her with a smile on his face.

"We played our hand beautifully, each and every one of us."

Lisabeth bowed her head modestly. "What would you like to do about this?"

"Groves?" He shrugged. "I don't think he will be much of an obstacle to our plans. Still, I believe you have a contact planned with our sleeper aboard Redemption?"

"Yes sir. Our Klingon allies have requested we help their man aboard ship."

"The doctor?" As usual, he wrinkled his nose at the thought of working with aliens.

She nodded. "We had promised them our aide if they detached those three Birds-of-Prey to us."

"Very well. Use the opportunity to inform our operative of Groves' arrival. Have her get close to him." Kilburn winked. "After all, he seems to have an affinity for augmented women."

"Will do, sir," she said, trying not to show her distaste for what he was asking her to do.

"Good." Kilburn turned back to the window, gazing out across the city. "Soon, very soon, all of this will be ours, just as it should be." His voice hardened. "As it always should have been."
Old October 29 2009, 12:38 AM   #223
kes7
Fleet Captain

War! Uh-oh. Sounds like it will be an ugly one, too (I mean, as wars go. They're all ugly, of course.). I love the way you portrayed Colin's reaction to the news, I thought it felt very true. Easy enough to talk tough until it actually happens ...

Oh, and ANOTHER spy, being spied on by spies! Note to Colin: Women are trouble! Especially women who sleep with politicians and their employees. And augments! This is so entertaining.

What a tangled, tangled web you're weaving here, Captain Sarine. So annoyed with you for doing nano! (I forgive you, but seriously ... I know you're going to leave us on a cliffhanger, here, and I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for December! At least it's just a month.)
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 12:49 AM   #224
RobertScorpio
Pariah

War! Uh-oh. Sounds like it will be an ugly one, too (I mean, as wars go. They're all ugly, of course.). I love the way you portrayed Colin's reaction to the news, I thought it felt very true. Easy enough to talk tough until it actually happens ...

Oh, and ANOTHER spy, being spied on by spies! Note to Colin: Women are trouble! Especially women who sleep with politicians and their employees. And augments! This is so entertaining.

What a tangled, tangled web you're weaving here, Captain Sarine. So annoyed with you for doing nano! (I forgive you, but seriously ... I know you're going to leave us on a cliffhanger, here, and I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for December! At least it's just a month.)
I hope you like DOG torture Captain Sarine..because I will have to submit my dog to torture until you return..

I agree with Kes7..collin's reaction was well done...and as for Kes's warning about women?? SO TRUE...

Rob
Old October 29 2009, 02:52 PM   #225
CaptainSarine
Commander

kes

Yeah, this will probably be an ugly war. It will also probably be an off camera one... I may decide to write some vignettes set during it but as Redemption is heading off to the Laurentii, we won't be seeing a lot of the war at the moment.

Although Colin sees himself as a spy, his job is going to be much more representative-like. But yes, he is being spied on by the Company, as are a lot of people... I'm glad you found his reaction to be lifelike.

Sorry about nano! I promise that if I finish early, I'll get on working on this asap!

Rob

No!!!! don't hurt the dog!

Thanks for the kind comments, glad this rang true for you as well.

Well one more chapter to go which I'll probably post on Saturday night and then on with the hiatus...