IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 28 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Missing Denny Crane

I miss Denny. I miss Alan and Denny, and their nightly cigar romps on the balcony. Even though it tilted decidedly to the 'left' of the politcal spectrum, I still miss their back and forth.

Bill Shatner should convince everyone to unite for a BOSTON LEGAL two-hour TV movie special..a real big meaty case with the two of them, ALAN and DENNY, saving the day!!! Henry Gibson has passed, which is too bad, but they could get another kooky judge...

And Rhona Mitra would HAVE to come back...I miss her too!!!

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 04:04 PM   #2
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Missing Denny Crane

I miss this show too.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The show is never coming back, the way ABC ignored the show I'm glad we got 101 episodes with a nice ending.

I have been watching through it on DVD, I have seasons 1-4, and I'm almost to the end. I remember not liking season four as much as the others, don't like the new characters, but it's not as bad now.

From such a stupid and over the top show Denny and Alan really had a great meaning of friendship and loving each other.
Old October 28 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The show is never coming back, the way ABC ignored the show I'm glad we got 101 episodes with a nice ending.

I have been watching through it on DVD, I have seasons 1-4, and I'm almost to the end. I remember not liking season four as much as the others, don't like the new characters, but it's not as bad now.

From such a stupid and over the top show Denny and Alan really had a great meaning of friendship and loving each other.
They should have never taken it off of Sundays, when it came on after Desperate Housewives. Moving it to mondays was a dumb idea...

Rob
Old October 28 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

I definitely miss it, too, but it ended on a note of finality. I'm just glad I have the DVDs. Such a lovely series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 06:41 PM   #6
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Harvey wrote: View Post
I definitely miss it, too, but it ended on a note of finality. I'm just glad I have the DVDs. Such a lovely series.
I so agree... at least twice a week we watch a double-bill of Boston legal and Hawaii Five-0...a great mix of straight and crazy!!!

Rob
Old October 28 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

They should have never taken it off of Sundays, when it came on after Desperate Housewives. Moving it to mondays was a dumb idea...
ABC never cared about it, they treated it like shit even through it won awards for the great acting. David E. Kelly said the day after the finale "If anyone who works at ABC ever watched an episode of it they never gave me a hint". Good news is that he most likely will never work for the network until the idiots running it leave. More creators need to hold a grudge.

It moved to Tuesdays at some point before moving to Mondays.
Old October 28 2009, 08:05 PM   #8
RobertScorpio
Pariah

ABC never cared about it, they treated it like shit even through it won awards for the great acting. David E. Kelly said the day after the finale "If anyone who works at ABC ever watched an episode of it they never gave me a hint". Good news is that he most likely will never work for the network until the idiots running it leave. More creators need to hold a grudge.

It moved to Tuesdays at some point before moving to Mondays.
I actually think it did fine in the ratings, considering the audience it was getting. High-end professionals, and people like that. I'm surprise HBO didn't pick it up. I heard somewhere, back there ,that HBO was looking at it...too bad they didn't. Could imagine the shit Alan Shore would get into then??? yikes...

Rob
Old October 28 2009, 08:19 PM   #9
ISP Zombie
Commodore

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I miss this show too.
I miss it as well. It never failed to make me laugh -- episode after episode. It was just really random .
ISP Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 08:20 PM   #10
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Twilight_Spock wrote: View Post
I miss this show too.
I miss it as well. It never failed to make me laugh -- episode after episode. It was just really random .
It could be serious, funny and, as Henry Gibson would say, outrageous!!! No other show was quite like that...

Rob
Old October 28 2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Hennessy Badger
Fleet Captain

ABC never cared about it, they treated it like shit even through it won awards for the great acting. David E. Kelly said the day after the finale "If anyone who works at ABC ever watched an episode of it they never gave me a hint".
One of the things I loved about the final season is that they knew they weren't coming back, so BL felt free to trash talk the network in their dialog. Brilliant.
"Gene Roddenberry used to say that Star Trek is a way of saying that the way things are is not the way they have to be. It's about imagining other possibilities, better possibilities." - David Gerrold
Hennessy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 08:56 PM   #12
ISP Zombie
Commodore

I miss this show too.
It could be serious, funny and, as Henry Gibson would say, outrageous!!! No other show was quite like that...

Rob
Yea it surely could be. And I loved how it tackled real life issues at times. It (for the most part) stayed on top of things there. Not a lot of shows (besides Law and Order and stuff) do that.

Definitely.
Old October 28 2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

As they rightly should have! ABC just astounds me in the way they blow some really good shows. I mean shows like Pushing Daisies, Boston Legal, Lois and Clark, and so many others... and then weaker shows that don't get awards, that get very low critical scores and crappier writing stay on the air.

I keep thinking that ABC needs to do more "late night" programming, like air some edgier shows later in the evening.
Old October 28 2009, 09:00 PM   #14
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Rob
Yea it surely could be. And I loved how it tackled real life issues at times. It (for the most part) stayed on top of things there. Not a lot of shows (besides Law and Order and stuff) do that.

Definitely.
And even though it titled to the left, and I am in the middle, slightly to the right on most of those issues it tackled, I did re-consider my views on some of the issues it brought up. Mainly because, usually, the 'right' side was given a chance to make a case, though it routinely loss..

To do that, to make one re-thing their set opinion on various topics, is a good thing, be it left or right. I mean, I watch FOX and I watch MSNBC..so you know, I am right in the middle on everything!!!

Rob
Old October 28 2009, 09:46 PM   #15
ISP Zombie
Commodore

Rob

Definitely.
And even though it titled to the left, and I am in the middle, slightly to the right on most of those issues it tackled, I did re-consider my views on some of the issues it brought up. Mainly because, usually, the 'right' side was given a chance to make a case, though it routinely loss..

To do that, to make one re-thing their set opinion on various topics, is a good thing, be it left or right. I mean, I watch FOX and I watch MSNBC..so you know, I am right in the middle on everything!!!

Rob
Ah well that's cool -- that it made you reconsider your views on some issues. It's rather rare to see a show like that -- one that makes someone think... instead of just mindlessly entertaining people.