Missing Denny Crane

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by RobertScorpio, Oct 28, 2009.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I miss Denny. I miss Alan and Denny, and their nightly cigar romps on the balcony. Even though it tilted decidedly to the 'left' of the politcal spectrum, I still miss their back and forth.

Bill Shatner should convince everyone to unite for a BOSTON LEGAL two-hour TV movie special..a real big meaty case with the two of them, ALAN and DENNY, saving the day!!! Henry Gibson has passed, which is too bad, but they could get another kooky judge...

And Rhona Mitra would HAVE to come back...I miss her too!!!

Rob

2. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I miss this show too.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The show is never coming back, the way ABC ignored the show I'm glad we got 101 episodes with a nice ending.

I have been watching through it on DVD, I have seasons 1-4, and I'm almost to the end. I remember not liking season four as much as the others, don't like the new characters, but it's not as bad now.

From such a stupid and over the top show Denny and Alan really had a great meaning of friendship and loving each other.

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

They should have never taken it off of Sundays, when it came on after Desperate Housewives. Moving it to mondays was a dumb idea...

Rob

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I definitely miss it, too, but it ended on a note of finality. I'm just glad I have the DVDs. Such a lovely series.

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I so agree... at least twice a week we watch a double-bill of Boston legal and Hawaii Five-0...a great mix of straight and crazy!!!

Rob

7. bigdaddy

ABC never cared about it, they treated it like shit even through it won awards for the great acting. David E. Kelly said the day after the finale "If anyone who works at ABC ever watched an episode of it they never gave me a hint". Good news is that he most likely will never work for the network until the idiots running it leave. More creators need to hold a grudge.

It moved to Tuesdays at some point before moving to Mondays.

8. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I actually think it did fine in the ratings, considering the audience it was getting. High-end professionals, and people like that. I'm surprise HBO didn't pick it up. I heard somewhere, back there ,that HBO was looking at it...too bad they didn't. Could imagine the shit Alan Shore would get into then??? yikes...

Rob

9. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss it as well. It never failed to make me laugh -- episode after episode. It was just really random :lol:.

10. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

It could be serious, funny and, as Henry Gibson would say, outrageous!!! No other show was quite like that...

Rob

11. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the things I loved about the final season is that they knew they weren't coming back, so BL felt free to trash talk the network in their dialog. Brilliant. :D

12. Random_Spock

Yea it surely could be. And I loved how it tackled real life issues at times. It (for the most part) stayed on top of things there. Not a lot of shows (besides Law and Order and stuff) do that.

Definitely.

13. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As they rightly should have! ABC just astounds me in the way they blow some really good shows. I mean shows like Pushing Daisies, Boston Legal, Lois and Clark, and so many others... and then weaker shows that don't get awards, that get very low critical scores and crappier writing stay on the air.

I keep thinking that ABC needs to do more "late night" programming, like air some edgier shows later in the evening.

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

And even though it titled to the left, and I am in the middle, slightly to the right on most of those issues it tackled, I did re-consider my views on some of the issues it brought up. Mainly because, usually, the 'right' side was given a chance to make a case, though it routinely loss..

To do that, to make one re-thing their set opinion on various topics, is a good thing, be it left or right. I mean, I watch FOX and I watch MSNBC..so you know, I am right in the middle on everything!!!

Rob

15. Random_Spock

Ah well that's cool -- that it made you reconsider your views on some issues. It's rather rare to see a show like that -- one that makes someone think... instead of just mindlessly entertaining people.

16. bigdaddy

There is even the joke in the finale when Hands went "Alan will go in Denny goes and I'm with them, several of us are. We could even start our own spinoff, don't think we haven't been approached!"

Or something like that.

The best episode ever was when Denny wanted to sleep with the goat or sheep, it was one of the last episodes. Jesus I couldn't breathe! :guffaw:

They did side with the republicans at time, like the guy who wanted to have sex in the bathroom. They went through the list of much worse people.

In a way it's a good thing it ended because the virgin, gay, not gay judge died.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I do miss Alan's brilliant closing speeches. The writers had the guts to really go for the jugular on a wide variety of topics, and still kept it fresh, witty and intelligent. It was quite a counter-point to the base, raunchy silliness that was just rampant in the show. I loved the odd combination.

And, yes, Alan & Denny, as bizarre as they were, still somehow managed to have a believable, touching, meaningful male platonic friendship. You don't often see that on TV these days.

19. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

And the show had to end as it did..with them married!!!

Rob

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My mom got me hooked on this series mid-way through it's final season and I then caught up on the other seasons through DVD.

Fantastic series, Shatner was great in it but Spader was brilliant and their friendship and balcony scenes are the highlights of every episode.

ABC sucks.