Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 27 2009, 09:01 PM   #16
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: If Data Was A Female...

She'd be about the most advanced "inflatable woman" around.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 11:12 PM   #17
Neutral Zone
Captain

I think it would probably been quite comical, a good looking female (hopefully) with Data's traits. Lal made a great daughter (excellent episode) but I don't think that this showed how a female Data would be. Since reading this thread I hhave tried to imagine it and it doesn't work for me. Perhaps I too used to seeing Data as introduced in episode 1 of TNG. This would also have meant that she would have had a psycho sister (or two), now that would have made an interesting script in 'Brothers' obviously renamed 'Sisters'!
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 12:43 AM   #18
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
WereBeagle wrote: View Post
Spiner was born in 1949.....
You've obviously forgotten the most important assumption: that a female Data would be a twenty-year-old sexpot with a tendency not to understand the need to wear so much clothing.
I'm not assuming that "Datanna" would be a twenty-year-old sexpot. I'm assuming, correctly, that there is a double standard in Hollywood when it comes to age.
Old October 28 2009, 02:33 AM   #19
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Browncoat wrote: View Post
I don't know if making Data female would have made him more well-liked. Like some of the posters explained above, there have been some examples of android/android-like women that haven't necessarily been more popular than Data as a male.

I think that a Data-like woman would have been seen as cold and unlikeable by the fan base, even if she'd have acted the same as Data (with the female version of a Brent Spiner). The women characters in Trek have a tendency to have to show "sensitive" sides at some point: Yar had her bruised past and friendship with Data and some sexy stuff, even 7 of 9 had to start "opening up." Kira Nerys ended up becoming almost soap opera-y gooey sensitive (just using the "stronger" women as an example).
And the men in Trek - "stronger" or not - don't have that tendency? Please name one man who did not have to show "sensitive" sides at some point. Or a major male character who never did sexy stuff.

I'd also like to ask you what the difference is between being sensitive and "sensitive", or stronger and "stronger", or what exactly does it mean being "soap opera-y gooey sensitive", but nevermind. Did it ever occur to you that these women showed that they had emotions not because they're women, but because they're people, and, well, most people have emotions?

As for Data - well he is an example of the above. He's an android who thinks he doesn't have emotions, but who's actually very "sensitive" with people, has strong friendships, feels a connection to someone he's only had a one-night stand in and who dumped him right afterwards (and later gets duped by her sister, because of the said emotional connection), feels an attachment to a furry pet, and most importantly, constantly wishes to become more human and find emotions. Oh, and he does some "sexy stuff" with Tasha, has a failed romance with another crewmember, and later does some more "sexy stuff" with a femme fatale-like Borg Queen. In addition, he has family problems with his android evil twin brother, becomes a "father" and loses the "child", finds a "mother" who turns out not to really be his mother (but he lies to her to spare her feelings), and finds another mentally challenged twin brother who turns evil. And he ends up sacrificing himself for his crewmates.

Sounds like there's no better example of your "sensitive", "gooey" and "soap-opera-y"
character than Data.

What would change if Data had been a female? IMO, nothing much. (Except that she wouldn't have a fling with Tasha.) He'd be just as popular as he is now, providing the actress was as good as Brent Spiner and played her the same way.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; October 28 2009 at 02:47 AM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 02:49 AM   #20
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
We already have Seven of Nine. There's really no need to wonder.
That would work if Seven of Nine were the same character as Data, only female. But she is not. They're not even the same species, have completely different backgrounds, and want different things. Data wants to be human right from the start and thinks that there is nothing better than being human, Seven starts off by thinking there is nothing better than the Borg collective and not wanting to be human at all.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 28 2009, 04:15 AM   #21
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

^I think that was a joke.

But they have roots on Earth. Data doesn't belong to a species. He was built by a Human. and Seven is a Human. She wanted to stay with the collective because she felt safe and because it was all she had known, having been assilimated as a little girl.
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 05:46 AM   #22
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

This thread has caused the mental image of a female Brent Spiner. It is a scary image.
Old October 28 2009, 05:51 AM   #23
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
This thread has caused the mental image of a female Brent Spiner. It is a scary image.
I would think that nothing of that sort could scare you after you've lived through PSGarak's/EnabranTainted's Miss DS9 Universe threads...

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 28 2009, 05:56 AM   #24
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I would think that nothing of that sort could scare you after you've lived through PSGarak's/EnabranTainted's Miss DS9 Universe threads...
Oh, you'd think. But that, combined with that smile. You know the one! From when he was dancing in the holodeck. Yeesh.
Old November 2 2009, 10:45 PM   #25
chakotay_lover
Lieutenant

If data was a woman, she probable wouldnt get laid, because that would seem like a android prostitute. Unlike when data got some with luetient yar. It was a lot easy for them to make data a man. I dont think she would be as funny either, I imagine that a woman data would have even more to prove and that the charaacter would just be ruined.
Old November 3 2009, 12:41 PM   #26
suzzi
Ensign

he he he...thats really true if data was a female this must have rocked...
Old November 3 2009, 02:25 PM   #27
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Remember when he dressed up as Miss Amy in "A Fistful of Datas"?

(Trying to help your mental image along. )
Old November 3 2009, 10:12 PM   #28
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Isn't Data TNG's most popular character after Picard? How much more popular can he get?
Old November 12 2009, 03:24 AM   #29
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

If Data was a woman the writers would have never explored what it meant to be human, which was the purpose of the character to begin with. They would have just turned her into somebody's girlfriend, like they did with Troi and Crusher. It would have been the easy way out.
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 03:58 AM   #30
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

Anji wrote: View Post
If Data was a woman the writers would have never explored what it meant to be human, which was the purpose of the character to begin with. They would have just turned her into somebody's girlfriend, like they did with Troi and Crusher. It would have been the easy way out.
I assume you've never seen most eps of TNG featuring them? That, or I'm misunderstanding your post. Troi's relationship with Riker was an ongoing character arc, and Crusher getting with Picard is only visited a few times in all of TNG.

And if you mean the romance-of-the-week junk, then EVERY character had that rubbish.