RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 366
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Should they release a blu ray collection of The Animaied Series
Yes 29 46.77%
No 22 35.48%
Maybe 8 12.90%
Not sure 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 23 2009, 03:17 AM   #31
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Should There Be A Blu Ray Of The Animaited Series?

I still see the sets on various store shelves, so worry not, true believer...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 01:39 AM   #32
I am not Spock
Commodore

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Speaking of TAS, have the regular DVDs sold out? I should have picked it up when it first came out. I can't find it anywhere now.
It is in stock at amazon.ca. Don't know if they will ship down under or if the region code will work for you or not but it is worth a shot.

As for redoing ST:TAS, or putting it on Blu-ray, no I don't think so. I like it just the way I remember it. I would like to see a whole new animated series done, though. Same quality as The Clone Wars.

Byron
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I haven't actually seen all of TAS before. It's the only Trek I haven't seen all of. Is it worth seeking out?
Old October 29 2009, 03:34 AM   #33
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Not unless the masters are good enough to give an improvement in quality on DVD, which I doubt.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 03:46 AM   #34
EnsignRicky
Commodore

For as much as I watch them, I'm happy with the DVDs. However a bluray version could certainly be a worthwhile release, for those who care. As subjective as the animation may be, with some TLC and a little cleaning, the finished result should look as though you were standing over the animators shoulder; The insanely fast animator's shoulder.
Old October 30 2009, 03:33 AM   #35
bbailey861
Admiral

Speaking of TAS, have the regular DVDs sold out? I should have picked it up when it first came out. I can't find it anywhere now.
It is in stock at amazon.ca. Don't know if they will ship down under or if the region code will work for you or not but it is worth a shot.

As for redoing ST:TAS, or putting it on Blu-ray, no I don't think so. I like it just the way I remember it. I would like to see a whole new animated series done, though. Same quality as The Clone Wars.

Byron
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I haven't actually seen all of TAS before. It's the only Trek I haven't seen all of. Is it worth seeking out?
I certainly think so. The stories done are quite good and in a few of the cases very good. It was (and still is) especially rewarding to hear those voices again. Despite the lack of movement of the characters, something inherent to Filmation productions, it is a fair representation of the animation done during that period. I have watched them more than once and tend now to visualize the episodes on my own. The extras are a good bonus as well. The only thing I am disappointed about is that it didn't manage to last another season or two. As I mentioned above, with the resurgence of animation, it may be a great time to rethink and redo another animated Star Trek series. Possibly with one of the newer series as opposed to an entirely new one since the actors are still around and kicking. They may command too much for their services, though.

Byron
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 04:53 PM   #36
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I have watched them more than once and tend now to visualize the episodes on my own.
And this is the reason I recently picked up the comic book collection on DVD-ROM of 500 Trek comic books including many from the TOS series characters on the various Enterprises.

and also picked up a miniseries comic from one of the original writers on TOS, D.C. Fontana:
Star Trek Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment

While I've actually been busy to sit down to read them since getting them I have skimmed through them...
I can visualize them myself from the drawings. Maybe put on some Trek movie soundtrack to get in the mood...
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2009, 08:06 AM   #37
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

KirkSpockTOSFan wrote: View Post
I thought I put this here as it has TOS crew. Do you think they should release a blu ray collection of The Animaited Series just like they did with the 3 seasons of TOS? I think they should cause after all, it still is the same crew from TOS. They released blu ray collections of TOS and all 10 Star Trek movies and soon to be Star Trek XI. So I think they should release a blu ray collection of The Animaied Series. So what do you think?
Considering the way it was done (the simple level of animation and use of color); the image quality wouldn't improved over that of upscaling the regular DVD on a Blu-Ray player (I have the TAS DVD set and an HDTV w/Blu-Ray); so IMO it would be a waste of time and money for both the stuio and the consumer. (imo)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 02:44 PM   #38
Sycho Nosk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
You wouldn't gain anything in image quality. Shitty animation is shitty animation, no matter what the image resolution, so enjoy the regular DVD release for what it is.

Now, if they were to go back and redo the animation and recut the dialogue (a typical TAS script was around 40-odd pages, which by current standards is an hour long show, so just change the pacing, draw out some of the effects sequences...) then we might have a reason to do an HD version, but as it is now, nah...
thats so true, and it would be sick... PSYCHO SICK!
Old November 7 2009, 05:51 PM   #39
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TAS script length

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
if they were to go back and redo the animation and recut the dialogue (a typical TAS script was around 40-odd pages, which by current standards is an hour long show, so just change the pacing, draw out some of the effects sequences...)
40 pages really? Are any TAS scripts freely available on the net (not for $20. each on Roddenberry.com site) ? Are they "shooting scripts"? Was there loads of stuff in some of the TAS scripts that didn't make it in the episodes? Major plot and character stuff? Can you give any examples of episodes and what was left of the floor of the writing room out of the finished episodes? Did the actors record the all the scripted dialogue for that stuff in the 40-odd pages scripts? Would it have survived...the original unedited studio sound recordings of the dialogue?
Old November 7 2009, 06:06 PM   #40
NiteTrek
Captain

KirkSpockTOSFan wrote: View Post
Do you think they should release a blu ray collection of The Animaited Series just like they did with the 3 seasons of TOS?
You're really smart.
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 01:20 PM   #41
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Considering the way it was done (the simple level of animation and use of color); the image quality wouldn't improved over that of upscaling the regular DVD on a Blu-Ray player (I have the TAS DVD set and an HDTV w/Blu-Ray); so IMO it would be a waste of time and money for both the stuio and the consumer. (imo)
It would be improved. Lines would be cleaner and sharper at 1080p than they would at 480p. You'd get less pixelation and artifacting. You'd see more detail in any painted backgrounds.
It probably wouldn't be worth it for most people, but there most certainly would be a difference. That's just a fact.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 01:52 PM   #42
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: TAS script length

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
40 pages really?
I have both "The Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS) and "More Tribbles, More Troubles" (TAS) scripts, both signed by David Gerrold, when I bought one of the last screen-used tribbles he'd found in his garage a few years ago.

"The Trouble With Tribbles" is 56 pp and "More Tribbles, More Troubles" is 39 pp. You might expect TAS scripts to be only 28 pp long, not 40, but the descriptions of sets, guests and actions tend to be quite lengthy for animation.

A quick skim and I can't see anything that wasn't on-screen.

Was there loads of stuff in some of the TAS scripts that didn't make it in the episodes?
Not usually. Animation scripts tend to be written and directed very tightly. It's unlikely the voice actors will improvise, or do multiple, different takes - especially since the cast of TAS were rarely together to record their lines. Their lines were usually taped separately, and sometimes even mailed to Filmation on audio cassette!

Major plot and character stuff? Can you give any examples of episodes and what was left of the floor of the writing room out of the finished episodes? Did the actors record the all the scripted dialogue for that stuff in the 40-odd pages scripts? Would it have survived...the original unedited studio sound recordings of the dialogue?
There really isn't much that wasn't in the episodes. Sometimes Alan Dean Foster expanded on little things in his "ST Log" adaptations, but he also added a lot of stuff that wasn't in the scripts. For example, expanding on Arex's musical abilities, Uhura's childhood, M'Ress serving on the USS Hood, etc.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2009, 03:44 PM   #43
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: TAS script length

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
It's unlikely the voice actors will improvise, or do multiple, different takes -
Wow it shows you how different things are for some animation project as
During the course of recording the voice of Genie in Aladdin (1992) , Robin [Williams] improvised so much they had almost 16 hours of material. He also ad-libbed so many of his lines that the movie's script was turned down for a Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award nomination.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000245/bio
and that is for a 90 minute film where he is on-screen for maybe 45 minutes in total.

sometimes even mailed to Filmation on audio cassette!
Do you have a source on this?
The difference in quality would be a higher noise floor and loss of high end frequencies between 15kHz of audio cassettes to 20kHz of 1/4" tape which would not be audible for the range of the human voice delivering dialogue and even yell/screams and thus 'good enough' for a Saturday morning cartoon show.
Old November 10 2009, 08:36 PM   #44
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

The audio cassette bit was mentioned in interviews with the cast, most notably William Shatner (he'd record his dialogue while shooting a movie, in between takes).
Old November 10 2009, 08:43 PM   #45
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Like I said, actual run time for a reanimated CGI version wouldn't even be a secondary concern, since I'm seeing this as a straight-to-DVD thing anyway.

I think "More Tribbles, More Troubles" would be an excellent jumping off point, starting with bringing in William Campbell and Michael Pataki to record the dialogue for Koloth and Korax (sorry, George).