RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 745
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 26 2009, 07:21 PM   #16
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI DVD - Preorder or not?

Yeoman Rancid wrote: View Post
^ Last few times i ordered something from Amazon i was charged tax. I guess it is a state by state thing?
Yeah, they charge tax in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, and Washington.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 07:28 PM   #17
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Yup. So sometimes, depending whether or not i am getting free shipping from amazon (if i dont make that $25 minimum) it is actually cheaper to go to my local BB or Costco. I don't really have a problem with the big stores (except for wallyworld which is really pissing me off these days with their bombardment of television ads).
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 07:30 PM   #18
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I'll decide when it comes out.
Old October 26 2009, 07:35 PM   #19
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Yup. So sometimes, depending whether or not i am getting free shipping from amazon (if i dont make that $25 minimum) it is actually cheaper to go to my local BB or Costco. I don't really have a problem with the big stores (except for wallyworld which is really pissing me off these days with their bombardment of television ads).
I don't hate the stores per se; I hate the ordeal of getting to one in L.A. traffic.
Old October 26 2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ Ohhhhh gotcha!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 07:48 PM   #21
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

^ Ohhhhh gotcha!
I'm actually pre-ordering a bunch of movies from Best Buy right now (with in-store pick-up) since they're having a 30% off sale on all Blu-Rays, so they actually have some decently priced pre-orders at $20.99, which is better than the increasingly unreasonable Amazon prices of $24.99-$27.99.
Old October 26 2009, 10:30 PM   #22
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
What DVD ever sold completely out on its first day of release?
UHF sold out within a couple of days, MGM severely underestimated the demand for that DVD.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
It won't sell out. I'd only consider a pre-order for a DVD if there was some awesome exclusive attached to it.
That's why I don't pre-order, the more often have some sort of exclusive that I can get on launch day since I'm within driving distance of a Best Buy, Fry's and Target that I can get to on my lunch breaks.
Old October 27 2009, 03:04 AM   #23
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Jeri wrote: View Post
So, which package is the best one to get? Assuming blu-ray, is there more than one blu-ray package to choose from?
With Blu-ray there is only one set of 3 discs, there may be various special boxes / inclusions depending whom you get it from, that's of no interest to me.

urbandk wrote: View Post
I think I'll preorder it on blu-ray because I dislike going to big box stores.
Me 3, in particular because of the travelling involved.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 03:48 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
UHF sold out within a couple of days, MGM severely underestimated the demand for that DVD.
UHF? That Weird Al movie? THAT sold out within two days? You're kidding, right? (I actually had no idea that was even on DVD in the first place...)

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 04:51 AM   #25
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

UHF? That Weird Al movie? THAT sold out within two days? You're kidding, right? (I actually had no idea that was even on DVD in the first place...)
Oh yeah, it tanked on original release, but consider it was 1989, up against Batman, ST5: TFF, Indiana Jones, several other big name movies. During testing, it tested well, but just as a fun little comedy, and should have never been put up against the big name flicks. It gained it's audience in the rental market, and used VHS commanded a pretty high price there for a while.

Weird Al was very much involved with the DVD, doing a commentary for the movie and even over the deleted scenes. It's a nice little DVD, and even knowing it had a cult following on VHS, MGM didn't print a very big run and it sold out within a few days. It released on a Tuesday, and I think I went to buy it on a Thursday at Best Buy and it was already out of stock.

Great article here, scroll down a bit for the story of the R1 DVD.
http://www.allthingsyank.com/uhf15/dvd.htm

It was originally going to be barebones, but Al wanted it to be an SE. When it did release, it was in the top ten in sales.

Man, now you've got the theme song in my head! If it wasn't so late, I'd put the DVD in now.

Back on topic, I'm definitely looking forward to another viewing of ST XI. Still disappointed we don't have a longer cut, but I imagine that if it happens, it will happen around the release of Star Trek: Something, Something.
Old October 27 2009, 05:49 AM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Back on topic, I'm definitely looking forward to another viewing of ST XI. Still disappointed we don't have a longer cut, but I imagine that if it happens, it will happen around the release of Star Trek: Something, Something.
I don't think it will happen. AFAIK, JJ Abrams isn't big on extended versions of films. What we saw in the theaters *was* the director's cut. The best we can hope for is just having the deleted scenes in a separate section.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 04:45 PM   #27
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I don't think it will happen. AFAIK, JJ Abrams isn't big on extended versions of films. What we saw in the theaters *was* the director's cut. The best we can hope for is just having the deleted scenes in a separate section.
Abrams may not be, but I don't doubt Paramount would love to double dip on it. And it's not exactly footage that Abrams was forced to shoot and later cut (like the Blade Runner voice over or a "happy ending"), it's stuff he liked but trimmed for pacing and such.
Old October 27 2009, 05:04 PM   #28
Gojira
Commodore

I live 2 miles away from a Walmart Super Center that is open 24/7 and I plan on being there at midnight the day it is released. I'm going to be there at that time not because I feel it will sell out fast its because I can't wait to get it!
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 05:12 PM   #29
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Abrams may not be, but I don't doubt Paramount would love to double dip on it. And it's not exactly footage that Abrams was forced to shoot and later cut (like the Blade Runner voice over or a "happy ending"), it's stuff he liked but trimmed for pacing and such.
But since they were deleted for storytelling and pacing reasons, that would make it even more unlikely a director would put them back in.
Old October 27 2009, 05:20 PM   #30
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Clancy_s wrote: View Post
Jeri wrote: View Post
So, which package is the best one to get? Assuming blu-ray, is there more than one blu-ray package to choose from?
With Blu-ray there is only one set of 3 discs, there may be various special boxes / inclusions depending whom you get it from, that's of no interest to me.
Ok, thanks. Anyone know of aforementioned various special blu-ray boxes/inclusions I should look for?