Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 26 2009, 12:08 AM   #121
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Well they are some sort of "wetware" biological beings. They could interface with technology through some means...altho on the Cylon basestars they would put their hands into a water like substance (which I could buy, we today certainly don't have a full understanding of the human genome..even if we know what it is).
The only thing I saw that didnt make any sense was when Athena jacked into the Galactica's computer. There is no interface for that...as even Cylon skinjobs were almost identical to humans. (Of course writing over technological tech tech in BSG)
Old October 26 2009, 03:01 AM   #122
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's something I never quite understood about the show. The Skinjobs were clearly not Cylons. They were just an off-shoot of Humanity who, after thousands of years of independent existence, developed a new form of technology that let them download their consciousness.
I was under the impression that the Kobolians created cylons who eventually banded together to become the 13th tribe. I never got the sense that they were just another group of humans on Kobol.
Old October 26 2009, 03:19 AM   #123
Checkmate
Commodore

Agent Richard0'Lantern wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's something I never quite understood about the show. The Skinjobs were clearly not Cylons. They were just an off-shoot of Humanity who, after thousands of years of independent existence, developed a new form of technology that let them download their consciousness.
I was under the impression that the Kobolians created cylons who eventually banded together to become the 13th tribe. I never got the sense that they were just another group of humans on Kobol.
They bred, they were completely biological, they're sexually compatible with humans, they developed resurrection technology on their own at the end of their civilization, and they were wiped out by their own (robotic) Cylons.

I don't see how they could be robots in any way, shape or form other than the fact that they created resurrection technology and were able to create clones with unique personalities.

Somewhere in history, "Cylon" came to mean something different. Perhaps "Cylon" was originally a tribal name, like Capricans or Librans.
Old October 26 2009, 03:25 AM   #124
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Put me down on the side of being a bit confused by the exact specifications of humanoid Cylons.

They didn't require air, food or sleep...but had glowing orgasmic spines and apparently once they "knew" they were Cylons, super strength (Tory pushing Cally around)!
Old October 26 2009, 03:36 AM   #125
Agent Richard07
Admiral

They bred, they were completely biological, they're sexually compatible with humans, they developed resurrection technology on their own at the end of their civilization, and they were wiped out by their own (robotic) Cylons.

I don't see how they could be robots in any way, shape or form other than the fact that they created resurrection technology and were able to create clones with unique personalities.
I'm not disputing what the humanoid cylons are biologically, I'm just saying that I thought they were creations, not other humans/kobolians who just decided to call themselves "cylons".
Old October 26 2009, 04:25 AM   #126
Saul
Rear Admiral

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I don't think of Boomer as a machine...not much more than you or I. They were at best an artificial biological machine...which makes them biological and while different than Colonial humans, still biological.
She still stuck wires into her arm and could communicate with Cylon Raiders and download her consciousness into another body, she was stronger than normal humans, there were many copies of her and her spine glowed. So I do distinguish her apart from Humans. Also what happened to Boomers other personality after this is never shown. I think explaining how she was a sleeper agent is not much of an explaination, at least for a machine that can do so much more. Hypnotherapy won't make you do what you don't want to do.

And the destruction of the colonies music wasn't about the suffering of the Colonials, but of the swift and brutal efficiency of the Cylon attack.
When the Galactica fleet were blowing up the Hub and resurrection ship they didn't play upbeat music. So I still hold the view that for such a event be done a bit more tastefully.

I dont think you were going to learn any mind blowing new information, that would have cheapened the series. This was an addon movie that scifi wanted filmed after the show had wrapped if I remember.
If there is nothing new to learn then I find it rather pointless. It adds nothing to the series that we didn't already know. In fact it detracts from it because it goes too far to show everything that happened off screen. You can call that 'the cylon perspective' but what of it did we not know already. This was just filler. I would say I liked some parts, such as Cavil talking about the suicide vest being more of a homicide vest and the bits with him and the kid showing how truly bad he is.
Old October 26 2009, 04:39 AM   #127
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

So don't buy it on Tuesday.
Old October 26 2009, 08:22 AM   #128
Candlelight
Admiral

Well its never established the range of Colonial FTL drives or how far the Red Line is from the colonies.
The nearest black hole to our earth is 1600 light years away (which may still have been functioning 150,000 years ago). Galactica made a single jump from the Colony to Earth.

Unless it was carried their with help from you-know-who...
Old October 26 2009, 08:23 AM   #129
Candlelight
Admiral

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
They didn't require air
???
Old October 26 2009, 01:43 PM   #130
Saul
Rear Admiral

Wow, great comeback.
Old October 26 2009, 01:51 PM   #131
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Candlefright wrote: View Post
Well its never established the range of Colonial FTL drives or how far the Red Line is from the colonies.
The nearest black hole to our earth is 1600 light years away (which may still have been functioning 150,000 years ago). Galactica made a single jump from the Colony to Earth.

Unless it was carried their with help from you-know-who...
Actually Galactica had had it's FTL drive upgraded by Cylon tech at that time.
Old October 26 2009, 03:00 PM   #132
Checkmate
Commodore

Saul's Eye wrote: View Post
She still stuck wires into her arm and could communicate with Cylon Raiders and download her consciousness into another body, she was stronger than normal humans, there were many copies of her and her spine glowed. So I do distinguish her apart from Humans. Also what happened to Boomers other personality after this is never shown. I think explaining how she was a sleeper agent is not much of an explaination, at least for a machine that can do so much more. Hypnotherapy won't make you do what you don't want to do.
All of that was negated to nonsense or drug-induced barminess due to the fact that it was apparently impossible to distinguish them from humans. And if someone could plug into a computer cable by shoving it into a vein, there had to be some kind of hint that something was off since, you know, a human can't friggin' do that. Ditto for the spine. There's a reason that crap was only mentioned once and them completely ignored (yes, ignored). Likewise a friggin' robot with all of those features would not be sexually compatible with a normal human. Apes are more closely related to that but you don't see human-apes walking around. Well, not unless you hang around with rednecks or something, but that's debatable.

The consciousness download and cloning were all independent technologies not even developed (or capable of being developed by, apparently) the Cylons. Including the skinjobs. It's also a technology that comes up quite a bit in sci-fi, so it hardly had to be limited to a robot.

And sorry, but if you have the technology to not only download and transfer your consciousness from one body to another, as well as creating brand new consciousnesses from scratch, you also have the technology to alter those consciousnesses to your whim.
Old October 26 2009, 03:28 PM   #133
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Wow, great comeback.

Why would I need to make a comeback..you've made up your mind you don't like it and I've explained why I disagreed.
Old October 26 2009, 03:29 PM   #134
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

All of that was negated to nonsense or drug-induced barminess due to the fact that it was apparently impossible to distinguish them from humans. And if someone could plug into a computer cable by shoving it into a vein, there had to be some kind of hint that something was off since, you know, a human can't friggin' do that. Ditto for the spine. There's a reason that crap was only mentioned once and them completely ignored (yes, ignored). Likewise a friggin' robot with all of those features would not be sexually compatible with a normal human. Apes are more closely related to that but you don't see human-apes walking around. Well, not unless you hang around with rednecks or something, but that's debatable.

The consciousness download and cloning were all independent technologies not even developed (or capable of being developed by, apparently) the Cylons. Including the skinjobs. It's also a technology that comes up quite a bit in sci-fi, so it hardly had to be limited to a robot.

And sorry, but if you have the technology to not only download and transfer your consciousness from one body to another, as well as creating brand new consciousnesses from scratch, you also have the technology to alter those consciousnesses to your whim.

Funny thing is I read later than RDM said that red spine glowing stuff was retarded and he regretted using it since it only detracted from the story.
Old October 26 2009, 04:06 PM   #135
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Candlefright wrote: View Post
The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
They didn't require air
???
Cavil says this to Boomer in The Plan when she talks about being underwater.