Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 25 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Ex-Idol Contestant Says Show Is Rigged

Some ousted season 8 American Idol top 36 semi-finalists--including Felicia Barton, Kendall Beard, and Ju'Not Joyner--participated in an online chat with the Idol website AI Now today. And during his frank online conversation with fans, Ju'Not came right out and said that the TV talent show is in fact rigged, and that its contracts are unfair to contestants.
"It's a fixed thing if I ever saw one," he boldly declared--much to the shock of many naive chatters, who responded with capslocked interjections and frowny-faced emoticons.
"They pay for our lawyers to negotiate against their lawyer (which is BS)," he said. "They make us COLLECTIVELY choose the lawyer, then they act like it's in our best interest. Craziest stuff I've ever seen. I have a son to feed. I HAD to ask questions and know what I was signing. Plus I write my own songs and I needed to know details...Some folks were like, 'Just shut up and sign on the dotted line.' I know better than that...I wasn't complaining...I was asking basic legal questions. There's a huge difference between the two."
Ex-Idol Contestant Says Show Is Rigged
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
dru
Fleet Captain

Re: Ex-Idol Contestant Says Show Is Rigged

Ancient history. The story had no legs and Ju'Not is a douche.
Old October 25 2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Eh, the story title is kind of misleading. He means rigged as in very one sided contracts, rather than rigged as in the voting doesn't count. Most similar reality show prizes are similarly rigged. On hell's kitchen like half of the chefs don't even work at the restaurants that they won jobs to. I really have little sympathy since these people already took like a huge shortcut to fame via the show. it's basically the choice between a one sided contract vs slinging burgers. Not only that but even hard working legitimate artists get really one sided contracts until they essentially reach legend status. This guy needs a reality check.
Old October 25 2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Australis
Writer

You do your best as a performer jumping through their hoops, then save your own personal best for when you're approached by a dozen record companies, agents, whatever.

It's advertising for you as a performer. You may not get much up front, but it'll pay off in the long run if you stick with it.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Eh, the story title is kind of misleading. He means rigged as in very one sided contracts, rather than rigged as in the voting doesn't count. Most similar reality show prizes are similarly rigged. On hell's kitchen like half of the chefs don't even work at the restaurants that they won jobs to. I really have little sympathy since these people already took like a huge shortcut to fame via the show. it's basically the choice between a one sided contract vs slinging burgers. Not only that but even hard working legitimate artists get really one sided contracts until they essentially reach legend status. This guy needs a reality check.
I'm not sure that Hell's Kitchen is quite the right comparison - yes the winners might not quite get what they expect, but unlike <country> idol they've usually got the experience before coming on the show.

A chef will never make the sort of money the sort of money a pop star witll or be as well known but something like Michelin Stars will carry more prestige than a dozen grammys

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 09:31 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

You mean there are lawyers in Hollywood too?

I am totally shocked by this. Shocked, I tell you...
Old October 25 2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
rather than rigged as in the voting doesn't count.
That wouldn't surprise me either, actually...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 10:56 PM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

dru wrote: View Post
Ancient history. The story had no legs and Ju'Not is a douche.

Exactly, the news is months old and everyone agrees the guy is an ass.

I'm not saying the show isn't set up, but the guy who is saying it is an ass.
Old October 26 2009, 01:03 AM   #9
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Marc wrote: View Post
I'm not sure that Hell's Kitchen is quite the right comparison - yes the winners might not quite get what they expect, but unlike <country> idol they've usually got the experience before coming on the show.
I'm sure they have SOME experience, but their talent seems to pale in comparison to the quality of work produced by the Top Chef or Next Iron Chef contestants.