Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 23 2009, 05:24 AM   #106
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

I want higher res caps of Caprica City to use as my desktop wallpaper. Pre-attack of course, otherwise its too depressing.
Old October 23 2009, 12:39 PM   #107
cbspock
Rear Admiral

It's really cool how they used the pyramid shaped buildings, since they were in the original series as well.

-Chris
Old October 23 2009, 02:54 PM   #108
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Linus wrote: View Post
Still, it's a kitschy development, done more for, in my opinion at least, shock value than anything else (like the gratuitous nudity).
I don't think nudity was there for shock value.

If that's what they were going for, they would've had Dean Stockwell, Michael Hogan and EJO nude.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 23 2009, 04:58 PM   #109
Harvey
Admiral

^^
My eyes! My eyes!

Although Michael Hogan did say, "there's a good chance you'll get to see me naked."

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 23 2009, 05:50 PM   #110
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Wasn't there a naked Dean Stockwell in The Ties that Bind?
Old October 23 2009, 06:35 PM   #111
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Wasn't there a naked Dean Stockwell in The Ties that Bind?
Yes, although it was not full frontal (or full back) nudity that we can see with a few of the extras in The Plan - it was nudity of the TV variety. But I remember a lot of people freaking out over it when the episode aired (probably not as much as they freaked out about the kiss with Boomer, though...).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 24 2009, 08:22 AM   #112
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Average

It was decent, but I was hoping for a lot more depth and maybe something to take away from it in real world life. If the message of this entire series was life outtrumps death and Cavil just came across as a big angry bully, I have to wonder if that was profound enough. I wish most of that depth came with the first twenty minutes actually being most of the film. I wanted hints of the interactions with the final 5, why this plan was so important, and just for the writers to show the perspective of the Cylons and really get down deep in the trenches. I don't think they did that very well.

I give it average mainly because I loved those first twenty minutes (Especially Cavil and Ellen in the bar) and there were some good moments sprinkled in between, like Simon and the family. Still, a lot of it felt clip show-like, the killing of the kid was a bit over-the-top (I understand why they did it though, mainly to show the difference in personality of the two Cavils), and it just wasn't the thing I was expecting.
Old October 25 2009, 12:59 AM   #113
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Negatives:

1) Too many "archive footage" scenes.

2) We don't learn anything new... well, at least nothing new that would be awfully important.

Positives:

1) Dean Stockwell.

2) Rick Worthy, particularly the "Fleet Simon" storyline.

3) The destruction of the Colonies.
Old October 25 2009, 12:26 PM   #114
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

For a clip show, it was great. For what it was supposed to be (i.e., a "new take" with plenty of "surprises" and, presumably, something to make up for the disappointing ending to the series), it was gods damn awful.

It reminded me of the webisodes SyFy aired: a focus on the B-actors with the A-actors not appearing at all. Other than the Cylons, anytime you saw any of the A-actors, it was only in the form of clips.

In the end, the final episode of the series was terrible and this was just rubbing salt in the wounds. Grade: C-, possibly a D+.
Old October 25 2009, 08:19 PM   #115
Saul
Rear Admiral

I was rather disappointed by this. Too many clips from the show wasting time explaining whats happenign in the scenes which I found pointless as a casual viewer is going to be lost anyway. It got rather annoying after a while. The destruction of the colonies to guitar music was a very poor choice and sucked out the emotional impact of what a terrible thing has just happened.

Agent Boomer of season 1 was totally ruined, she was programmed to think she was human and her cylon programming kicks in when she needs to do some bad shit. But now it's a hypnotizing toy Elephant. Totally sucked out the mystery and gave a poor backround story. Also Boomer's return in season 2s downloaded is who? The secret agent boomer or the human boomer. Just doesn't make sense.

Also what of this really explains anything of the Cylon plan? What about the Plan for the Cylon child? Or how about using the deleted scenes of Season 2 with Gina.
Old October 25 2009, 08:39 PM   #116
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

1. The elephant was just a switch, it didn't mean anything other than to trigger programming. Hypnotized people can be made to work the same way.

2. Hera was the hope for continuing the cylon race after Resurrection was destroyed. That was clear in the series, what else do you need?

3. The music during the bombing of the colonies? Really? I thought Bear's music heightened the emotional impact.
Old October 25 2009, 09:23 PM   #117
Saul
Rear Admiral

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
1. The elephant was just a switch, it didn't mean anything other than to trigger programming. Hypnotized people can be made to work the same way.
Yes, so it's the same as Hypnotisim. But this is a machine. The first season gave the impression that her programming kicked in. Waving the elephant infront of her to bring her out of her sleep was a bit lame. The most advanced living machines that can transfer their mind to another body yet they need an object to bring them in and out of an hypnotic/programmed state.

2. Hera was the hope for continuing the cylon race after Resurrection was destroyed. That was clear in the series, what else do you need?
As was the rest of "The Plan". The Cylons wanted to destroy Humans. I didn't learn anything new about that. So why not focus on the other part of the big plan.

3. The music during the bombing of the colonies? Really? I thought Bear's music heightened the emotional impact.
I love his music but I felt it's too upbeat for such a scene. I thought it's being too cool and stylish about the destruction of a civilisation.
Old October 25 2009, 09:45 PM   #118
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I don't think of Boomer as a machine...not much more than you or I. They were at best an artificial biological machine...which makes them biological and while different than Colonial humans, still biological. After all in the series, Hera is the mother of humanity to a degree.

And the destruction of the colonies music wasn't about the suffering of the Colonials, but of the swift and brutal efficiency of the Cylon attack.

I dont think you were going to learn any mind blowing new information, that would have cheapened the series. This was an addon movie that scifi wanted filmed after the show had wrapped if I remember. The Plan just sounded better than Cavil and Simon plus Misc.
For all that it was intended to be it was pretty good.
Old October 25 2009, 11:48 PM   #119
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Saul's Eye wrote: View Post
I love his music but I felt it's too upbeat for such a scene. I thought it's being too cool and stylish about the destruction of a civilisation.
The Plan is told from the point of view of the Cylons, and at that time the destruction of the colonies was a massive triumph for them. We've already seen the destruction of the colonies from the colonial point of view in the miniseries, and the music in the miniseries was appropriately downbeat.
Old October 26 2009, 12:02 AM   #120
Checkmate
Commodore

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I don't think of Boomer as a machine...not much more than you or I. They were at best an artificial biological machine...which makes them biological and while different than Colonial humans, still biological. After all in the series, Hera is the mother of humanity to a degree.
Yeah, that's something I never quite understood about the show. The Skinjobs were clearly not Cylons. They were just an off-shoot of Humanity who, after thousands of years of independent existence, developed a new form of technology that let them download their consciousness.

When their version of Cylons (which is apparently Kobolian for "robots with an AI") rose up and destroyed them, their survivors escaped and attempted to return to the other offshoot of the Kobolians (for lack of a better term); the Colonists. They met up with the Colonial Cylons before that happened and (after having had a few more centuries to advance their technology during the trip), convinced them to stop plotting an attack on the Colonies in exchange for creating more of their race... from scratch.

So at best the eight models are tailored clones infused with an artificially-created memories and personalities. They're certainly not Cylons. Going with the Kobolian definition of the term, since both the Colonists and Off-Shoots adopted it, they're half-Cylon at best... and only due to having an artificially-created-but-wholly-real intelligence.