RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 532
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 21 2009, 03:50 PM   #2371
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I think my problem is the level of football seems quite poor and I do misis the good old days when you would get real big games in the group stage and teams would go for it 100%. I just think players coast in the group stage until they are in serious trouble look at Liverpool now.

UEFA point of putting in so many teams in the CL was too make it exciting but now for me its making it more boring.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 06:44 PM   #2372
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

The organisers are charging $20 USD for the cheapest tickets to the U17 World Cup here in third world Nigeria and are wondering why the attendances are so bad. *golf claps*
Old October 25 2009, 12:28 AM   #2373
Jax
Admiral

Derby blows 2-0 lead and end up losing 4-2...9 points behind FOREST good times good times
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 10:50 AM   #2374
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

Pretty amazing match in the U17 world cup last night, Germany v Nigeria. In the first half I had pretty much give up on Nigeria since they were 3-0 down. Was pretty sure the same problems that plagued our senior players plagued the youth setup as well (lack of technique, calmness on the ball etc).

Like I said, I'd given up, though I thought the fans booing a bunch of 17 year old kids was a bit harsh. Next thing you know, it's 3-1, 3-2, and then it ended 3-3. Amazing stuff.

Now if Liverpool can just somehow beat Manu, Fullham hold Man City, and Arsenal slaughter West Ham, the perfect weekend will be complete.
Old October 25 2009, 12:20 PM   #2375
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
Derby blows 2-0 lead and end up losing 4-2...9 points behind FOREST good times good times
And it was on TV as well Fantastic game to watch.

Next up for Forest though... a trip to free-scoring City. Looking forward to it a lot, hopefully I'll be at the game next weekend as it has the potential to be amazing. Can Forest stop Peter Whittingham? Can anyone?
Old October 25 2009, 05:01 PM   #2376
StolenThunder
Poster

dragunzng wrote: View Post
Now if Liverpool can just somehow beat Manu, Fullham hold Man City, and Arsenal slaughter West Ham, the perfect weekend will be complete.
As things stand...

Fingers crossed for the Arsenal.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 07:29 PM   #2377
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

What. Just. Happened?
Old October 28 2009, 04:47 PM   #2378
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Gosh, what a great news day! Both the soap opera clubs of the world have put out some excellent news - Newcastle hire Chris Hughton permanently, take the club off the market and float the idea of selling the naming rights for St James' Park, and Real Madrid get beaten by the Spanish equivalent of a League One side, Alcoron. Not just a 'cupset' either, but a proper humiliation, 4-0.

What a brilliant day. I think Newcastle will definitely be closer to relegation than promotion now - I always said they'd be in trouble if they didn't sort themselves out by November and this isn't what I'd call 'sorting themselves out'. And Madrid... well, what can be said about them? Does anyone not love seeing them crash and burn?
Old October 30 2009, 12:32 AM   #2379
Starkers
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Enjoy the Billy Davies good times while they last, because trust me, they won't last

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2009, 11:03 AM   #2380
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ Current estimates pinpoint the end to be at approximately 1945 Sunday.

Why this game is on at 5pm on a Sunday is beyond me.
Old October 30 2009, 12:26 PM   #2381
Starkers
Admiral

ha ha! well you never know, frankly Forest are due to slip up given the run they're on but that doesn't mean they neccesarily will.

So, who do people think Marlon King will be playing for in 2 years time? Glad the scumbag got what was coming to him, I can't believe he had something like 13 previous convictions!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2009, 10:05 AM   #2382
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Probably some League One/Two side. Can't imagine the Premier League wanting him, and frankly he's not good enough anyway. He was only ever good in Championship with Watford.
Old October 31 2009, 12:19 PM   #2383
StolenThunder
Poster

Stalkers wrote: View Post
So, who do people think Marlon King will be playing for in 2 years time? Glad the scumbag got what was coming to him, I can't believe he had something like 13 previous convictions!
Wow. Managed to miss that fact when reading the news stories.

Him, Barton, Bowyer.. almost a Masters team.
Old October 31 2009, 06:06 PM   #2384
Iasius
Rear Admiral

The German Bundesliga remains quite interesting:

Pity that "we", Werder Bremen, only drew today (especially as Hamburg lost 2:3 at home), but after an awful first half and being 2:0 behind, a 2:2 was great . Here's to the 17th game in a row (including cup and Europa League) without a loss.

PS: Hertha BSC was a contender for the title last year (they finished 5th and are in the EL). How quickly things change.
Old October 31 2009, 06:21 PM   #2385
StolenThunder
Poster

It must be quite exciting to have so much variability in your domestic league. It's not one I follow closely, but it always seems to have dramatically over/under performing teams. On the flip side, I wouldn't want Arsenal to be fighting against relegation.

Hertha, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund and Leverkusen all seem very unpredictable.

The only German team I've seen play are Hertha. I saw a game at the Olympiastadion at the start of its renovation: good game, too.