TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 13 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
PTRACER
Lieutenant

Was killing K'Ehleyr the right decision?

I don't know whether it was the quality of Suzie Plakson's acting, but K'Ehleyr felt like a well-established character despite only appearing in two episodes and when she was killed in Reunion, I thought the TNG writers had made a mistake.

I felt she was a very strong character and could have made a return from time to time in future plot lines, even as a minor character in the odd episode - definitely not as a regular though.

I suppose the only problem that could have arisen from not killing her off was that the ending of Reunion would have to be completely different (any suggestions?).
PTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Re: Was killing K'Ehleyr the right decision?

She could get kidnapped by the Romulans....
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 12:15 AM   #3
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

It was the right decision for the story they were telling - had K'Ehleyr not been killed, Worf would not have killed Duras. Had Duras not been killed, Gowron would not have become Chancellor. Had Gowron not become Chancellor, the Klingon Civil War would not have begun.

Likewise, without K'Ehleyr's death, Alexander would not have been left in Worf's care. I'll grant that there are still stories that could have been told with K'Ehleyr alive, but it served Worf's character better for her to die - her death allowed him the opportunity to both reclaim his family honor and become a father, both of which were more difficult to show with her still alive.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 03:45 AM   #4
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
It was the right decision for the story they were telling - had K'Ehleyr not been killed, Worf would not have killed Duras. Had Duras not been killed, Gowron would not have become Chancellor. Had Gowron not become Chancellor, the Klingon Civil War would not have begun.

Likewise, without K'Ehleyr's death, Alexander would not have been left in Worf's care. I'll grant that there are still stories that could have been told with K'Ehleyr alive, but it served Worf's character better for her to die - her death allowed him the opportunity to both reclaim his family honor and become a father, both of which were more difficult to show with her still alive.
Yes, they needed her to die for the story.

Besides, it seemed to be an unwritten rule that TNG couldn't have a regular in an actual relationship.

But it was a shame since I liked her and found her more interesting than Worf, or the majority of TNG regulars.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 05:23 AM   #5
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Yeah, I know, the TNG characters needed a bit of a kick in the pants on a good day, and it would have been fun to see her stick around and deliver one to a character who needed it (to me, that was part of the fun of the Worf/Jadzia relationship on DS9).

Still, the story they wanted to tell needed her death to motivate it. While it could have been told a bit better in some aspects, I can't see how she couldn't have been left alive and still give Worf the same desire - when it was just his honor at stake, he didn't have a problem with leaving his family honor tarnished, knowing it was for a good cause, keeping the Empire together. But with K'mpec dead, Duras close to getting his job, AND now a son, who he has to take care of with K'Ehleyr's death, he wants his son to be able to be accepted in Klingon society. If K'Ehleyr had lived, she could give him a life that didn't tie back to the Klingon beliefs, but Worf doesn't think like that - you are a Klingon, you must be raised Klingon. And the Klingon beliefs said that with the House of Mogh dishonored, Alexander too would be dishonored and unable to survive in Klingon society. Worf accepted that, but he wanted Alexander to have the option to join Klingon society.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

K'Ehleyr used to be a favorite character of mine. In fact, we named a parakeet after her. It was nothing about the species; just an honest homage.

Anyway, I agree w/ everyone. While it would have been nice to keep her, her death was shocking and made Reunion truly outstanding when we see Worf's reaction. And, as DGCat wrote so well, it became fertile ground for so many more good Klingon scripts.

BTW, I met Plakson at a convention many years ago. As with many people, she was even more stunning in person than on the screen.

Doug

Edit: Oops, I forgot one of the main points I wanted to make. I guess I've changed a lot since TNG was first aired. Although I originally loved the 2 K'Ehleyr episodes, when I tried to watch "The Emissary" again a year or so ago, I found Plakson's acting to be annoying.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 06:42 PM   #7
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

Yes, they needed her to die for the story.

Besides, it seemed to be an unwritten rule that TNG couldn't have a regular in an actual relationship.

But it was a shame since I liked her and found her more interesting than Worf, or the majority of TNG regulars.
Hmm what can I say? I thought she was a great character ~ strong, independant and humourous. She would have made a great addition to the crew.

Yeah, I know, the TNG characters needed a bit of a kick in the pants on a good day, and it would have been fun to see her stick around and deliver one to a character who needed it (to me, that was part of the fun of the Worf/Jadzia relationship on DS9).

Still, the story they wanted to tell needed her death to motivate it. While it could have been told a bit better in some aspects, I can't see how she couldn't have been left alive and still give Worf the same desire - when it was just his honor at stake, he didn't have a problem with leaving his family honor tarnished, knowing it was for a good cause, keeping the Empire together. But with K'mpec dead, Duras close to getting his job, AND now a son, who he has to take care of with K'Ehleyr's death, he wants his son to be able to be accepted in Klingon society. If K'Ehleyr had lived, she could give him a life that didn't tie back to the Klingon beliefs, but Worf doesn't think like that - you are a Klingon, you must be raised Klingon. And the Klingon beliefs said that with the House of Mogh dishonored, Alexander too would be dishonored and unable to survive in Klingon society. Worf accepted that, but he wanted Alexander to have the option to join Klingon society.
I'm sure they could have created a story-line that still included K'Ehleyr. Worf and she did not have to stay together, and the arguements they would have had about Alexander's upbringing would have been epic. It could have been a brilliant 'on going star-crossed lovers story'!
Old October 23 2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Forbin
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

My pet peeve exactly. It's like the show was written by people who'd never had a serious relationship in their lives and didn't know how to have one. (Which probably describes most people in the entertainment industry).

K'Ehleyr was a fantastic character and Suzi is a charismatic actress who is a delight to watch. They missed the boat by not having bothe K'Ehleyr and Dr. Selar as regular recurring characters.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 12:59 AM   #9
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

It's Michael Dorn's fault. As he has said at conventions many times, when asked he told the writer(Ron Moore?) that Worf would only be willing to kill Duras if Duras had killed K'Ehleyr. He said he regretted that that would end the Worf/K'Ehleyr relationship, but that's the way it had to be.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 05:48 AM   #10
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

It does make sense however for Worf to be only willing to kill the crepe after his mate was killed. It was sad but it worked really well and made Worf out to be sympathetic and a bad ass too!
Old October 24 2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

GhostFaceSaint wrote: View Post
It does make sense however for Worf to be only willing to kill the crepe after his mate was killed.
What would Worf possibley have against French pancakes?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 12:11 AM   #12
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
It does make sense however for Worf to be only willing to kill the crepe after his mate was killed.
Possibly because he got his spelling fuddled
Old October 25 2009, 12:33 AM   #13
NiteTrek
Captain

PTRACER wrote: View Post
I don't know whether it was the quality of Suzie Plakson's acting,
No, it was the quality of Suzie Plakson's rack.
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
Well, what word was really intended? I can't figure it out.

Doug

Edit: Oh, I just figured it out - "creep."
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 01:59 AM   #15
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post

Well, what word was really intended? I can't figure it out.

Doug

Edit: Oh, I just figured it out - "creep."
...and you missed the bit where he spelt 'possibly' wrong... but anyway instead of being pedantic let's turn it into a french pastry pun thread ~ or would that be too much of a pain o'chocolate?