Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Should they release a blu ray collection of The Animaied Series
Yes 29 46.77%
No 22 35.48%
Maybe 8 12.90%
Not sure 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25 2009, 12:25 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Should There Be A Blu Ray Of The Animaited Series?

The animated Transformers: The Movie was released on Blu-Ray in the UK. I believe it was quite a bit better looking than the standard DVD version.
Old September 25 2009, 08:26 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

^^
I'm no expert on animation, but that was made to be released on 35mm, was it not? While TAS was made to be shown on television (and over the air 1970s television, nonetheless). Now, perhaps the original elements are of such a quality that a Blu-Ray would be worth it, but perhaps not.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 08:31 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

TAS was shot on 35mm.
Old September 26 2009, 03:13 AM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

Well then, I see no reason for the series not to be released in HD, if the studio is willing to pay out for the transfer. How did the standard DVD sell for Paramount/CBS/Whoever?

It probably won't look astonishing in HD, especially considering the quality of the animation. But there's no doubt you would be able to see an increase in image quality.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 04:01 PM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

Re-animating (?) TAS is an interesting idea. I don't know if I'd go for an exact photorealistic style, but something could be done I think.

The biggest thing would be to break the static quality of the original animation. Get more movement of characters in there and show the changing perspectives of objects.

Two big things I'd want to see are more credibly scaled shuttlecraft and hangar deck and...

is there anyway we can downsize the stupid 50ft. Spock from "The Infinite Vulcan" as well as fix the depiction of Bem as a colony being?

Okay, that's three things.
Old September 26 2009, 04:40 PM   #21
22 Stars
Commodore

I think that reanimating TAS is the next fertile ground, following TOS-R for exploring the classic Trek universe. If I had all the time in the world, it is a project I would love to helm.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2009, 08:28 AM   #22
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Nah. Why remake it? It is what it is. And there's no reason to believe it wouldn't look amazing in HD. The animation -- the movement of the characters, or lack thereof -- was certainly terrible. But the actual hand-drawn elements aren't bad.

If you can, check out Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" on blu-ray. The star of that show are the background elements. The detail in those backgrounds is astonishing. Even better is the sense of depth you get that you don't get in standard def. Whether you'd get a comprable sense of depth with TAS on blu-ray, I don't know. But I'd like to find out.
Old September 28 2009, 01:37 PM   #23
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
check out Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" on blu-ray. The star of that show are the background elements. The detail in those backgrounds is astonishing. Even better is the sense of depth you get that you don't get in standard def. Whether you'd get a comprable sense of depth with TAS on blu-ray, I don't know. But I'd like to find out.

the backgrounds are detailed, textured, and colorful - and nearly leap off the screen at you like the best Blu-rays do. The multiplane backgrounds give a lovely 3D feel to the movie and textures such as on characters' clothing or that of even background objects is superb.
FROM THE review of the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray

Sure you have a general background and then the actual cell animation of the characters but I do not believe the animation company for TAS Filmmation used Disney’s standard multiplane system.
the result being an illusion of depth by having several layers of artwork moving at different speeds - the further away from the camera, the slower the speed. The multiplane effect is sometimes referred to as a parallax process.
Watch this 1 minute video for how the multiplane glass levels work:
http://disney.go.com/videos/classics...&content=10346

Will Paramount/CBS home video put out TAS in Blu-ray? Quite possibly before 2012 as it would require minimal work to remaster from the 35mm cut negative. Why do I mention that date because once they put out 4 seasons of Enterprise on Blu-ray they will be out of Trek TV to release unless they delve into doing a fan collective of TNG episodes in HD to release on Blu-ray.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 08:00 AM   #24
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Sure you have a general background and then the actual cell animation of the characters but I do not believe the animation company for TAS Filmmation used Disney’s standard multiplane system.
Sure, nor are the backgrounds as busy and as ornate as Sleeping Beauty's. That's not really my point, though. Even in Sleeping Beauty shots where it's just a foreground and background, every detail of the background is so sharp it's like looking at an actual painting. It's a much different experience watching it on DVD. And as I said before, I'm talking about the detail of the images, not the quality of how they animated those images.
Old September 29 2009, 01:15 PM   #25
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
And as I said before, I'm talking about the detail of the images, not the quality of how they animated those images.
Hober Mallow I understand your statement.
Last week I initially said this
September 23 2009
You would gain in the background painting image quality.
high definition has 10x the color information [and 6x the resolution]. All that extra color information make for more accurate colors and subtle gradations that NTSC/(SMPTE 170M) standard in standard definition cannot show.
Perhaps your mention of "depth" is what confused me. Disney used several layers of artwork moving at different speeds. Filmmation may have used only 2, foreground cell animations and a background.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2009, 02:28 AM   #26
Hober Mallow
Commodore

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Perhaps your mention of "depth" is what confused me. Disney used several layers of artwork moving at different speeds. Filmmation may have used only 2, foreground cell animations and a background.
For me, it's almost intangible, but watching films on blu-ray gives me an added sense of depth that I don't get from SD formats. I don't know if it's the added detail or what it is, but some films where this was especially noticeable to me are Casablanca and Patton.
Old October 9 2009, 11:12 PM   #27
Kail
Commodore

wws wrote: View Post

I also hope that they FIX the screwed up with the color correction on "Time Trap" that was on the DVD release.

best wishes,
wws
Yeah, what was that about? Single worst part of the DVD release. Did no one realize the background of the ship graveyard was SUPPOSE to be red? When they blacked it out, we lost a lot of smaller ships in the background. Hell, ship in the foreground lost definition. Terrible restoration!!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 06:08 AM   #28
I am not Spock
Commodore

Speaking of TAS, have the regular DVDs sold out? I should have picked it up when it first came out. I can't find it anywhere now.
Old October 22 2009, 06:10 AM   #29
Hober Mallow
Commodore

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Speaking of TAS, have the regular DVDs sold out? I should have picked it up when it first came out. I can't find it anywhere now.
I just saw a set at Wall Mart like a week ago.
Old October 23 2009, 01:40 AM   #30
bbailey861
Admiral

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
It is in stock at amazon.ca. Don't know if they will ship down under or if the region code will work for you or not but it is worth a shot.

As for redoing ST:TAS, or putting it on Blu-ray, no I don't think so. I like it just the way I remember it. I would like to see a whole new animated series done, though. Same quality as The Clone Wars.

Byron
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote