Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20 2009, 04:04 AM   #61
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

^ Her Cylon-aware persona was obviously triggered by the elephant.

I'm disappointed that there was no mention of the Olympic Carrier and very little mention of the farms or Cylon re-population of the colonies. I was hoping to see more of what the Cylons were up to behind the scenes. Also, the Shelley Godfrey disguise/wig was ridiculous. She should have just spaced herself.

I did like that Cavill's Cylon agents all disappointed him with their love for humanity and inability to carry out their assignments (except Doral). Also, I loved that the great and mysterious "PLAN!" was a clusterfuck and that the evil mastermind behind the entire thing was essentially a child with a severe need to be loved/admired by his parents. I wonder if that little boy called "John" ever existed in the first place.
Old October 20 2009, 04:14 AM   #62
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I wonder if that little boy called "John" ever existed in the first place.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I was wondering what he did with the body.

As for Boomer, I don't think she ever knew she was a cylon. It did feel a bit like they retconned her character, but the truth is we just never saw the sleeper agent part of her come alive to this extent. It's all part of the movie's cylon perspective.

And about The Plan... It's funny how we're finding out that Cavil and the cylons didn't have one either. Those cylon meetings were probably mirroring what went on in the writers' room.
Old October 20 2009, 04:15 AM   #63
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

His jacket was burgundy...this is teal.
Old October 20 2009, 04:17 AM   #64
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I dunno, I think my favorite line was:
"His jacket was burgundy. This is teal."

EDIT: Great minds....
Old October 20 2009, 04:20 AM   #65
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The guy was a snazzy dresser.
Old October 20 2009, 04:22 AM   #66
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

The Cylons needed to die if for no other reason than Leisure Suit Larry.
Old October 20 2009, 04:35 AM   #67
Candlelight
Admiral

Battlestar Yashunman?
Old October 20 2009, 06:23 AM   #68
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

I thought the explanation for how Boomer worked goes perfectly with "Water." In that episode, we see her wake-up soaking wet, and through the episode it's clear that she was up to no good, albeit unconsciously. I sometimes wondered if she basically slept-walked through planting the bombs in the water tank or had moments when she became aware of her true self. This answered that. I took Cavil taking the elephant away in their last scene as him giving her up to her sleeper program. She chose her fate and the original Cylon part was gone. All that was left was the human/sleeper program, which had a lot of trouble adapting to Cylon culture once she downloaded.

I think it was the best Battlestar "episode" in a good long while. The plot was iffy, I agree with most posters there, and there were some odd omissions. I, too, wondered where Tory was and why they didn't include a story about the Olympic Carrier. I wondered why they didn't show Ellen being integrated back into the fleet and if Cavil had a reason for doing so. I thought it would've been better if we saw Three/D'eanna. It also succumbed to feeling like a clip show at times.

But the theme of the whole thing was just amazing: "Love lasts beyond death." It was also very tightly focused on this, and brought a whole lot of themes from the series to light. We see Cavil's plan of hatred fall apart again and again in the face of love. Those Cylons just can't stop letting love get in the way of their plans, from Fleet-Simon to Boomer to Shelly Godfrey to Leoben to Caprica Cavil to the Final Five. Every single plot thread was about this, every single one was a love story, mostly ending in tragedy, because of the one Cylon who refused to give into this. Cavil was the only one who rejected love and a chance at redemption, during in his scenes with the boy.

Ironically enough, Cavil's horrific plan is also fueled by a need to be loved. Everyone else found redemption by giving it. He could only take, and threw a tantrum when he couldn't get it. He never figured out that to get it he also had to give it.

The plot of this movie isn't the point, and I understand how people could be disappointed in it if all they're focused on is a check list of events the story is supposed to hit. Instead, it's more of a series of interconnected short stories about different Cylons and how love ruins and saves them.
Old October 20 2009, 01:23 PM   #69
billcosby
Commodore

Hmmm.... it does improve with repeat viewings.
I was surprised to see a very brief shot of Xena-three, so I'm satisfied with that I guess.

The Plan actually makes me want to see more of Caprica... maybe that was the intention? The BSG verse is so large... all those colonies we actually saw wiped out was kind of fascinating.

I hope Caprica touches on all twelve of the colonies... and it will be interesting to see if

Old October 20 2009, 03:11 PM   #70
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard0'Lantern wrote: View Post
- One arc that I liked, which wasn't in the series, was about Simon and his wife and stepchild. It was interesting to see what happened when a Simon model genuinely fell for a human along with the what became of that. Fun Fact: Simon's wife was played by Olmos' wife.
During her sex scene, all I could think of was "And Olmos is tapping that? Lucky bastard!"

Did anyone catch on to the fact, that the elephant that Cavil used as a trigger for Boomer, was the same one that stood on the table in her apartment in Downloaded?
Old October 20 2009, 03:22 PM   #71
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
- One arc that I liked, which wasn't in the series, was about Simon and his wife and stepchild. It was interesting to see what happened when a Simon model genuinely fell for a human along with the what became of that. Fun Fact: Simon's wife was played by Olmos' wife.
During her sex scene, all I could think of was "And Olmos is tapping that? Lucky bastard!"
Watching it again, I suspect a body double in that scene.
Old October 20 2009, 03:29 PM   #72
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ And here I was imagining Olmos directing his wife through that.
Old October 20 2009, 06:10 PM   #73
FreezeC77
Commodore

^ And here I was imagining Olmos directing his wife through that.
Who knows maybe he was thinking "That's right everyone... Check that out. I'm 62 and that's my wife"

It's definitely not as bad nor near as creepy as say Asia Argento's father (Dario) directing a movie that had her with a nude scene when she was 18.
Old October 21 2009, 01:05 AM   #74
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying here...
I just found it odd that it took her months to accept she was a Cylon after she was resurrected in Downloaded, but whenever she is "activated" in The Plan she is willing to carry out her orders like a good Cylon. It struck me as a little odd.

Did anyone catch on to the fact, that the elephant that Cavil used as a trigger for Boomer, was the same one that stood on the table in her apartment in Downloaded?
I remembered something about wooden elephants on Caprica but I couldn't remember if they were in Boomer's apartment or in Kara's.

One other complaint, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I was a little upset by the score. I realise that Bear reused a lot of old tracks from the first two seasons (and some of Richard Gibb's tracks from the miniseries) to help The Plan fit into that timeline, but as someone intimately acquainted with the music from BSG it sounded a bit repetitive to me. It particularly stood out when Something Dark is Coming started playing; I thought it was going to build into an epic scene but instead it just faded away before it reached the good part. The originally composed music was excellent though, I loved the stuff he scored for the apocalypse scenes.
Old October 21 2009, 04:19 AM   #75
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

TheGhoulBen wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying here...
I just found it odd that it took her months to accept she was a Cylon after she was resurrected in Downloaded, but whenever she is "activated" in The Plan she is willing to carry out her orders like a good Cylon. It struck me as a little odd.

I remembered something about wooden elephants on Caprica but I couldn't remember if they were in Boomer's apartment or in Kara's.

One other complaint, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I was a little upset by the score. I realise that Bear reused a lot of old tracks from the first two seasons (and some of Richard Gibb's tracks from the miniseries) to help The Plan fit into that timeline, but as someone intimately acquainted with the music from BSG it sounded a bit repetitive to me. It particularly stood out when Something Dark is Coming started playing; I thought it was going to build into an epic scene but instead it just faded away before it reached the good part. The originally composed music was excellent though, I loved the stuff he scored for the apocalypse scenes.
I almost wonder if a concession or deal was made for the score to The Plan due to the epic (and expensive) nature of Daybreak (and season 4's score as a whole) to skimp budgetarily on the score. I don't know, I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I do know Bear went all out with Daybreak, and here there was a much smaller ensemble and much smaller score in general.

I personally would much rather have seen a totally out of the park, kick ass score with full orchestra, but maybe that wasn't appropriate here.

In all honesty, I've been good and I have not seen it yet. I'm waiting to legitimately watch it.