Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 19 2009, 04:07 PM   #31
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

The stars thing again makes me wonder...how long have the Colonies had FTL?

Since Kobol (if so their civilization looks stagnant) or I wonder if they lost contact with each other as they rebuilt their technology since Kobol?
Old October 19 2009, 05:48 PM   #32
Tom
Rear Admiral

Another thing I noticed is the yield of the nukes seem rather low. We see that each missle is a cluster bomb that spreads about 20 smaller projectiles over an area. When you look at the Caprica City image a few building are burning but most are still standing, also the radiation does not seem to slow down the humans and skinjobs on Caprica or do we see any evidence like hair falling out, skin legions, etc.. One of our standard ICBMs would completly flattened Caprica City and more than 20 of our nukes would have created so much radiation that now one would survive a in a large radius of due to the accumulated radiation.
Old October 19 2009, 06:17 PM   #33
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Agent Richard0'Lantern wrote: View Post
- There is a lot of nudity in the form of bare breasts. They couldn't air this thing on TV without significant cuts.
Nah. There isn't a single relevant scene in the thing that couldn't have been filmed both with and without visible nudity. It isn't key to any part of the film.
Old October 19 2009, 06:22 PM   #34
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

vigilia_ognissanti wrote: View Post
EstoniaKat wrote: View Post
But I was too busy jotting down hybrid notes:

"The farms of Aerolon are burning.
The beaches of Canceron are burning
The plains of Leonis are burning.
The jungles of Scorpia are burning.
The pastures of Tauron are burning.
The harbors of Picon are burning
The cities of Caprica are burning
The oceans of Aquaria are burning
The courthouses of Libron are burning
The forests of Virgon are burning
The Colonies of Man lay trampled at our feet …"
Love how the descriptions fit the symbols of the 12 zodiac signs (well, except maybe for Caprica, but it was already stated that it was the capital world, so it's not difficult to imagine it was the most urbanized, too).

And I also wrote down that the 12 Colonies were around 3 different stars, which I'm glad they included. Obviously, they've done some work on that to the new Caprica series.
Are the stars part of a triple system or are the 3 different stars?

The hybrid didn't specify. But the phyics of all those world being inhabitable with three stars in the same system is unworkable. I think we'll know for sure in the Caprica series.

FleetLord wrote: View Post
Another thing I noticed is the yield of the nukes seem rather low. We see that each missle is a cluster bomb that spreads about 20 smaller projectiles over an area. When you look at the Caprica City image a few building are burning but most are still standing, also the radiation does not seem to slow down the humans and skinjobs on Caprica or do we see any evidence like hair falling out, skin legions, etc.. One of our standard ICBMs would completly flattened Caprica City and more than 20 of our nukes would have created so much radiation that now one would survive a in a large radius of due to the accumulated radiation.
Yeah, a few kilotons each at most. I guess that makes since, if you originally want to occupy the colonies, like it became clear in Season 2.
The MIRV sequence was cool, with the fins to slow the platform's rate of descent.

I had hoped that we should get a chance to see Admiral Nagala and the Atlantia with the rest of the fleet have its final stand. But all we saw was a couple of minor Battlestar types from Adama's second-to-last command lose power. Didn't get to see them blow up, even. And then the CLIP SHOW of the Scorpion shipyards, with the nuke bombardment in the background.
Old October 19 2009, 06:31 PM   #35
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Well that probably had more to do with the FX budget most of which was spent on the opening 20 minutes of the bombardment.
Old October 19 2009, 07:06 PM   #36
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

What happened to Slut Six? I wonder if she made it to New Caprica where she just rejoined her Cylon friends?

There seemed to be a hell of a lot of Cylon Basestars, far more than we ever saw destroyed during the course of the series...Was the Cylon Civil War a much larger conflict than we saw?

The biggest missed opportunity for me was a scene between Cavil and Gina. I'd liked to have seen him plant the idea in her head of detonating the nuke, or that he wanted to try to set it off on/near Galactica or something.
Old October 19 2009, 07:26 PM   #37
Harvey
Admiral

I was under the impression that Gina detonated the nuke because she wanted to commit suicide, not because of any other definite Cylon goals. I don't think everything has to be linked to Cavil's leadership.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 19 2009, 07:34 PM   #38
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Well, I was under the same impression about Boomer's assassination attempt. :P

I just think a scene between Cavil and Gina would've been interesting, whether it had anything to do with the nuke or not.
Old October 19 2009, 08:09 PM   #39
billcosby
Commodore

Checkmate wrote: View Post
billcobwebs wrote: View Post
Great first half, slow second half IMHO.

It really lacked number three. Why couldn't she make an appearance? Why wasn't she involved with the story?
I think the rationale is that this story focused on the original plan -- Cavil's plan. It's the one that lead to the annihilation of the colonies and started everything.

His plan was supposed to have ended as soon as it began. Everything that occurred after the nuking of the colonies was improvised (as he made abundantly clear) and every day that passed, his plan became more and more convoluted. By the time this movie ends, he finally surrenders and gives up on his original plan and begins concocting a new one beginning with the boxing of his own model which, in his eyes, are completely corrupt and beyond redemption.

That said, Three's story was completely independent of Cavil's. It wasn't a part of "The Plan" at all, but a repercussion of "The Plan" failing. So while it may have been one of the things I wanted to know more about, none of that was directly relevant to what this story was trying to explain.

It's also why the series seemed to be so aimless for a good stretch of its run. Because it effectively was. Cavil was forced to make it up as he went -- he hadn't planned on a contingency for the initial genocidal assault to fail and the first half of the series was him trying to bring his plan back on course.
Good points, but I still find myself wondering how Three was left out of Cavil's plan... I suppose I could just go back and rewatch everything... and I probably will, but was there something independent about Xena the Warrior Cylon's agenda?

It just seems sloppy to exclude her. At one point, when Cavil held a meeting on Galactica "The Plan" flyer, didn't he say he was expecting a three present?

Is that Hollywood scripting for "we didn't want to hire her" or "she wasn't available for filming?"

Old October 19 2009, 08:51 PM   #40
Tom
Rear Admiral

billcobwebs wrote: View Post

Is that Hollywood scripting for "we didn't want to hire her" or "she wasn't available for filming?"
It was more like she was Too Expensive to include, this was a huge reason she was not in more episodes because they had to pay her more than alot of the others. In Hindsight, they should have got some one more inexpensive for here role.
Old October 19 2009, 10:51 PM   #41
Candlelight
Admiral

Well I enjoyed it, but it was a fairly average outing. I left it too late to watch last night and ended up missing the last twenty minutes so will watch tonight. But to what I saw:

The attack on the colonies was good, but again way too brief. The one sequence I've been dying to see since the show started was the battle in Virgon's orbit and the loss of the Atlantia, etc. Instead we end up seeing three Valkyries (granted, we finally get a decent shot of them) in Picon orbit and they don't even get blown up! The attack on the colonies was muted, as the mini series implied they nuked a fair few of the cities but on the ground it was quite clear they were mainly intact. Even quite a few SAR raptors were operating on Picon.

The rest of it was a bit of a 'spot the episode reference'. The movie is clearly aimed at the fan first and joe public second. Flash forwards to episodes as far ahead as Sometimes a Great Notion (and even the inclusion of the Cylon Colony from Daybreak) is a bit of a spoiler don't you think...?

I was hoping to hear WHY they were chasing them every 33 minutes, and why specifically the Olympic Carrier - maybe they could've devoted that story to good-Simon instead of the really dumb Cybele story - the ship makes a prominent appearance in The Passage so naturally it wouldn't be destroyed.

Shelley Godfrey's story was silly. They didn't need to show how she escaped - how did prostitute-Six escape the guards? - but it makes sense they all died one by one. It does beg the question that Godfrey-Six didn't give away the fleets co-ordinates, given the Cylons didn't appear again until Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down, although in most likelyhood Adama jumped the fleet just in case.

The first time we see Leoben listening to the radio and hearing Starbuck on the wireless; what episode is that from? Cos it sounded like Act of Contrition (Starbuck teaching the nuggets) but that takes place after Water, which was where that part of the story was set.

Mods, are posting images of the story "embargoed" until October 27?
Old October 19 2009, 10:57 PM   #42
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

TheOnes wrote: View Post
And Shelly Godfree's explanation. This felt very flat for me as i felt more satisfied believing it was Angel!Six manifested as a physical being, which was a prelude to what Starbuck was and this disappointed me (although it did lead into explaining the cylons showing up right after Boomer shot Adama)
I loved the Shelley explanation, and the fact that is was so mundane (and also enjoyed the fact that I was right, since I always believed and argued on the Skiffy board that she was just another Cylon agent.) I felt so relieved that we were not subjected to any of the Deus-ex-machina (literally ) "angels" crap again. And of course, it wouldn't have made any sense, since Head Six has never, to the best of out knowledge, became corporeal and visible to everyone - so why would she had done it just that one time and never again?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 19 2009, 11:09 PM   #43
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Overall I liked it, mostly because it was nice to see more BSG. There were some nice character pieces in there, but on the whole it doesn't really add anything new to the saga.
I guess I'll watch it again sometime this week (probably weekend) and I may have more comments.

I really think this was solely intended for fans of the show. If you haven't seen the show, you won't really understand much if anything of what is going on.

(Now if amazon.de et al would just get around to allowing me to order the DVDs ...)
Old October 19 2009, 11:15 PM   #44
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard0'Lantern wrote: View Post
- Cavil's evolution throughout the movie was vague, but I did like how it ended. By the way, I was wondering for a while now if the Cavil we saw in season 4 was the only one and it looks like he was. The Cavils had a change of heart and so one of them boxed the rest.
That can't be the case, since we definitely saw multiple Ones in the New Caprica arc and the rest of season 3. Besides, one individual Cylon couldn't box all the other copies of his model, since they would far outnumber and outvote him. But it's clear that Fleet Cavil won the intra-model argument and had Caprica Cavil boxed, because all the other Ones we see in S3 and S4 seem to agree with Fleet Cavil.

It also seems that the main One we see in S4 - the one involved with Boomer and arguing with Ellen - is probably Fleet Cavil.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old October 19 2009, 11:44 PM   #45
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

Where are people seeing this?