Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 22 14.38%
Above Average 55 35.95%
Average 48 31.37%
Below Average 21 13.73%
Poor 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18 2009, 11:18 PM   #16
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: The Plan - Grading & Discussion

not sure, I just assumed it was a new coral Redition of the main theme that Bear was doing.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Old October 18 2009, 11:21 PM   #17
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

FleetLord wrote: View Post
not sure, I just assumed it was a new coral Redition of the main theme that Bear was doing.
For whatever reason I thought it was a remixed of "The Shepered Boy" with a tune like Rumpa pum pum, etc.
Old October 18 2009, 11:38 PM   #18
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

FYI for those of you who have seen it and not purchased it...please do on the 27th.
Old October 19 2009, 12:17 AM   #19
Tom
Rear Admiral

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
FYI for those of you who have seen it and not purchased it...please do on the 27th.
Well the tons of extra's and the better resolution are good incentives to buy the dvd even if you have seen it.

Old October 19 2009, 02:36 AM   #20
Checkmate
Commodore

Dac wrote: View Post
BTW, who round here called The Plan the "Dean Stockwell Vanity Project"? Because they were bang on the money in that regard :P
Why wouldn't the story focus on him? It was his plan, start to finish. That was made clear in the main series. This movie just tried to flesh out some of the details of his plan.
Old October 19 2009, 03:54 AM   #21
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I voted above average. My biggest disappointment was the lack of Number Three. They stole a shot of her from I'm thinking The Eye of Jupiter along with a mention of D'Anna Biers being in the fleet but they could've included a scene with her and Cavil set around the time of downloaded as well as incorporating the Downloaded deleted scenes revolving around her plot to steal Hera. Maybe toss in a scene with Cavil and Gina as well. Then I'd feel like the story was more complete.

But it was a very enjoyable (probable) last look at the BSGverse save for Caprica.
Old October 19 2009, 04:01 AM   #22
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I'm hoping its only the end of the beginning of the BSG_verse. It definitely made me want to see more about Caprica and life in the colonies.
Old October 19 2009, 06:50 AM   #23
Agent Richard07
Retired

After a year and a half wait, I finally saw The Plan. As I was watching, I'd say my opinion shifted around constantly between above average, average and below average. Parts of it were very well done and other parts, not so much. And on the whole, it came off almost like a clip show. I think I'm going to settle on "average". That's average for BSG and about a C+.

Some minor but interesting details from the beginning...

- I got a kick out of how they worked the planet Caprica into the Universal Pictures opening splash.

- Dean Stockwell should have gotten top billing, not second billing after Edward James Olmos.

- It was nice to see a little more of the colonies just hours before the attack eventhough we didn't get much. Like vampgrrl, this has me looking forward to Caprica even more.

- The attack itself was pretty awsome and much better than what we got with the 2003 mini series. There was a little more chaos and destruction with some relief efforts underway.

- I didn't know that the basestars had two halves tha could swivel, nor did I know that they could enter an atmosphere.

The meat...

- The Plan doesn't work as a standalone movie. You had to have seen the series all the way through and you have to be familiar with a lot of the details in order to truely appreciate this movie, otherwise you'll end up a bit lost and confused in places.

- As I said, this felt like a clip show. Too many scenes were recycled from the series. Some of them I accepted as necessary, but still, sometimes it felt like I was overloaded with them. I was however impressed that they redid some familiar moments, but from a Cylon perspective.

- Cavil was trying to teach the Final Five a lesson, but this wasn't done well.

- They replayed the Shelly Godfrey arc from the cylon perspective and I loved it. I loved getting a whole new take on what happened. When "Six Degrees of Separation" aired, most of us thought that the cylons were trying to out Baltar so that they could vindicate him and use him. Little did we know that there were two sides at work, one being the cylons who were in fact trying to out him and the angel (Head Six) who simply stood by his side. Head Six didn't save him by the way. The cylons screwed up, and I'll get to that later.

- One arc that I liked, which wasn't in the series, was about Simon and his wife and stepchild. It was interesting to see what happened when a Simon model genuinely fell for a human along with the what became of that. Fun Fact: Simon's wife was played by Olmos' wife.

- Another arc, which again wasn't in the series involved a boy who was hanging around Cavil in the fleet. I was wondering what would become of him and all I'll say is that it was pretty sad and jolted me a bit.

- Cavil's evolution throughout the movie was vague, but I did like how it ended. By the way, I was wondering for a while now if the Cavil we saw in season 4 was the only one and it looks like he was. The Cavils had a change of heart and so one of them boxed the rest.

- Now for the most important part... The Plan itself. I still don't know what it is. All I got was that Cavil is mean and sadistic and wants to kill what's left of humanity. In order to do that, he concocted one scheme after another (Blow up the water tanks... Out Baltar... Kill Adama... Blow up a ship...) and each of them failed. In the end, the impression I got was that something deep down was holding him back which is why he couldn't succeed. There was no clear evidence of "God" or the angels at work here. The writer could have gone that route, but didn't which is why I think it was Cavil unknowingly sabotaging himself by rendering his grand Plan into a series of half-baked, poorly executed tasks.

More details...

- There is a lot of nudity in the form of bare breasts. They couldn't air this thing on TV without significant cuts. There is also a sex scene culminating in an orgasm and Six prancing around in her underwear. In fact, I'd say that this one movie has about as much sex, nudity and suggestive material than the entire show combined, at least it seemed that way, so let the bitching and moaning and complaining begin.

- Surprisingly, I didn't miss Lucy Lawless. The movie could have used her, but it worked without her. Only a few cylons were key players anyway. The rest were reduced to cameos.

- I really liked the closing music. I can't wait to get it when it's released.

- It doesn't seem likely that we'll get more BSG movies like these, but despite my problems with this one, I wouldn't mind seeing more with one possibly dealing with the Final Five creating the Significant Eight. You wouldn't need the Galactica sets for that.

- My cable bills are paid and I'll buy the DVD, so don't lynch me for watching this early.

That about does it.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; October 19 2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old October 19 2009, 11:25 AM   #24
billcosby
Commodore

Great first half, slow second half IMHO.

It really lacked number three. Why couldn't she make an appearance? Why wasn't she involved with the story?

Old October 19 2009, 12:25 PM   #25
Checkmate
Commodore

billcobwebs wrote: View Post
Great first half, slow second half IMHO.

It really lacked number three. Why couldn't she make an appearance? Why wasn't she involved with the story?
I think the rationale is that this story focused on the original plan -- Cavil's plan. It's the one that lead to the annihilation of the colonies and started everything.

His plan was supposed to have ended as soon as it began. Everything that occurred after the nuking of the colonies was improvised (as he made abundantly clear) and every day that passed, his plan became more and more convoluted. By the time this movie ends, he finally surrenders and gives up on his original plan and begins concocting a new one beginning with the boxing of his own model which, in his eyes, are completely corrupt and beyond redemption.

That said, Three's story was completely independent of Cavil's. It wasn't a part of "The Plan" at all, but a repercussion of "The Plan" failing. So while it may have been one of the things I wanted to know more about, none of that was directly relevant to what this story was trying to explain.

It's also why the series seemed to be so aimless for a good stretch of its run. Because it effectively was. Cavil was forced to make it up as he went -- he hadn't planned on a contingency for the initial genocidal assault to fail and the first half of the series was him trying to bring his plan back on course.
Old October 19 2009, 12:39 PM   #26
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
Two words come to mind (assuming I was able to see it, which I can not claim either way)

CLIP SHOW

Exactly. Although there were some cool moments in the first 20 minutes, it really didn't add much to what I already knew. The fact that only the Cylons and Adama had really any new scenes really made it boring for me in a lot of places.

The split between the Cavils was a little more articulated, but the series kind of hinted in it.

I thought it was the weakest of the minis.

Maybe I'll have more thoughts once the DVD arrives.
Old October 19 2009, 01:18 PM   #27
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

My reaction was the inverse of what a lot of folks are saying – I thought the first 20 minutes felt disjointed, but the film improved quite a bit once it settled into the more comfortable "intimate character moments" style.

It's probably not wise to post screencaps at this juncture, considering the...questionable...legality of the copies out there, but if anyone takes a look at the cities of Libra and Virgon, Pierre Drolet recycled elements from the Romulan captial in Nemesis for some of the architecture. Notably, the staircases and the whole Romulan Senate building, which can be seen in the lower left-hand frame after the Hybrid says "The forests of Virgon are burning." Anything to save time on a project.

ETA: It looks like portions of the central "ring" with those angular Romulan ornaments made it into the upper left of frame as well.
Old October 19 2009, 02:44 PM   #28
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
My reaction was the inverse of what a lot of folks are saying – I thought the first 20 minutes felt disjointed, but the film improved quite a bit once it settled into the more comfortable "intimate character moments" style.

It's probably not wise to post screencaps at this juncture, considering the...questionable...legality of the copies out there, but if anyone takes a look at the cities of Libra and Virgon, Pierre Drolet recycled elements from the Romulan captial in Nemesis for some of the architecture. Notably, the staircases and the whole Romulan Senate building, which can be seen in the lower left-hand frame after the Hybrid says "The forests of Virgon are burning." Anything to save time on a project.

ETA: It looks like portions of the central "ring" with those angular Romulan ornaments made it into the upper left of frame as well.

I'll have to go back and rewatch. I didn't catch that. I didn't think that the voiceover matched the scenes, neccesarily, that were being showed. But I was too busy jotting down hybrid notes:

"The farms of Aerolon are burning.
The beaches of Canceron are burning
The plains of Leonis are burning.
The jungles of Scorpia are burning.
The pastures of Tauron are burning.
The harbors of Picon are burning
The cities of Caprica are burning
The oceans of Aquaria are burning
The courthouses of Libron are burning
The forests of Virgon are burning
The Colonies of Man lay trampled at our feet …"
And I also wrote down that the 12 Colonies were around 3 different stars, which I'm glad they included. Obviously, they've done some work on that to the new Caprica series.
Old October 19 2009, 02:50 PM   #29
Tom
Rear Admiral

I do have caps i will try to sneak them in later..

Old October 19 2009, 03:39 PM   #30
iguana_tonante
Admiral

EstoniaKat wrote: View Post
But I was too busy jotting down hybrid notes:

"The farms of Aerolon are burning.
The beaches of Canceron are burning
The plains of Leonis are burning.
The jungles of Scorpia are burning.
The pastures of Tauron are burning.
The harbors of Picon are burning
The cities of Caprica are burning
The oceans of Aquaria are burning
The courthouses of Libron are burning
The forests of Virgon are burning
The Colonies of Man lay trampled at our feet …"
Love how the descriptions fit the symbols of the 12 zodiac signs (well, except maybe for Caprica, but it was already stated that it was the capital world, so it's not difficult to imagine it was the most urbanized, too).

And I also wrote down that the 12 Colonies were around 3 different stars, which I'm glad they included. Obviously, they've done some work on that to the new Caprica series.
Are the stars part of a triple system or are the 3 different stars?