Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Voyager?
I love Voyager, both it and DS9 are excellent 13 8.39%
I like Voyager, but I prefer DS9 56 36.13%
Voyager was okay, I have no strong feelings 27 17.42%
I disliked Voyager, DS9 was the superior show 42 27.10%
I loath Voyager, it ruined my life 10 6.45%
I'm not a Niner but I want to vote in this poll 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18 2009, 09:40 PM   #16
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

Re: How do Niners feel about Voyager?

At the time it aired Voyager was my weekly Trek fix after DS9 ended. So back then I suppose I 'liked' it. As time has gone on, I've just fallen more in love with DS9, probably because now I understand more of the nuanced things that I didn't get back in Junior High. I know VOY has its flaws, but I don't despise it. But that being said, I have TOS, TNG and DS9 on DVD and really don't have plans to get Voyager.
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2009, 10:08 PM   #17
TeutonicNights
Commander

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
TeutonicNights wrote: View Post
What most Niners would disagree with however, is that I think they handled the Borg rather well.
Indeed, I do not think it is possible for me to disagree with you more on that point. The Borg used to be fearsome and huge. Voyager turned them into a laughingstock. Even First Contact, which introduced the queen (an idiotic character that the Borg didn't need) managed to be a good story and still keep the Borg scary.
Yeah, but TNG also had "descent" and "I, Borg".FC was "re-scarifying" them if anything.
Not saying it couldn't have been done better. But for such a family-friendly series, it was decent in my book.
VOY used the new elements from FC and turned the borg into a "regular" villain race that could be destroyed with weapons. they shouldnt have used the borg at all (and ds9 was wise to not use them), but it was a development that had begun in tng.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2009, 10:18 PM   #18
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

Voyager couldn't hold my attention. As someone else posted, for me it became Gilligan's Island in space, way too formulaic and blah. To be fair, I haven't rewatched it at all, but honestly, I don't have much motivation to try.
Old October 18 2009, 10:34 PM   #19
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

I enjoyed Voyager for the most part, but it just wasn't as good as DS9 was for me.
Old October 18 2009, 10:59 PM   #20
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

I voted that I like VOY, but I prefer DS9.

VOY was a good show. I liked the characters, for the most part, and I loved the premise. VOY, IMO, also has the ONLY decent 'ship in all of Trek (J/C), and I liked the idea of a female captain. Plus, I LOVE Kate Mulgrew. Saw her speak at the Vegas Trek con the year I went and was hugely impressed. I also very much love Tim Russ and thought he was the best Vulcan in Trek, outside of Leonard Nimoy himself (and yes...as much as I love Zach Quinto, I include him in this assessment too).

VOY also had some outstanding episodes, a few of which would number in my top 25 episodes of Star Trek (VOY is the only show besides DS9 which has episodes in that top 25) - Deadlock, Death Wish, Timeless, and Year of Hell would all be included in my top 25 episodes of Trek....which is otherwise populated by only DS9 episodes.

Like any show (INCLUDING DS9), VOY has it's faults. I thought the premise was not fully realized (I'd have liked for VOY to have been alot more like nuBSG turned out) and I did not like the way the show focused so much on the EMH and 7 of 9 in later seasons. Also I REALLY hate two characters on VOY - Neelix (too sugary sweet) and the EMH (can you say 'treason'?). And finally, I was very distressed at how the show ended - especially since I was a Janeway fan and felt Endgame ruined the character.

But overall, it was a good show, and when I find myself wanting to watch Star Trek, if I don't watch a DS9 DVD, my next most often pick is an episode of VOY from my VOY DVDs.

I simply prefer DS9 because it was darker and grittier and has a long complex story arc. And I like dark and gritty...and I like long complex story arcs. Some of my other favorite shows are Babylon 5, nuBSG, and LOST...all of which are dark and gritty, and all of which have long complex story arcs (it doesn't GET anymore complex than the LOST story arc! ). So it should be no surprise that I prefer DS9.

This in no way takes away from VOY. It's just my personal preference.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2009, 11:04 PM   #21
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Oh....and as a 'Mod Post'...I'd be VERY curious about the results of such a poll (in reverse, of course) in the VOY forum.

For all the whining on the part of a couple of VOY fans about how DS9 fans and our supposed hatred of VOY is the bane of their very existence, I bet you'd get alot more DS9 hate there than you are getting VOY hate here. Or...at least equal, anyway.

Just a theory.....

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2009, 11:05 PM   #22
apenpaap
Commodore

I like Voyager. It screwed many things up, but also did many things really well. It has my 2nd most favourite character in all Trek (The Doctor).
I like DS9 much better, though.
Old October 18 2009, 11:38 PM   #23
StarryEyed
Commodore

IMO, Voyager has many more flaws than any of the previous Trek series but I thought the positives outweighed the negatives in the end.
StarryEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 12:01 AM   #24
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Oh....and as a 'Mod Post'...I'd be VERY curious about the results of such a poll (in reverse, of course) in the VOY forum.
I was curious myself, so I posted the reverse poll in the Voyager forum. If this goes badly then you can take the blame for it.
Old October 19 2009, 01:48 AM   #25
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Thanks for putting this up, TheGhoulBen... last time this "subject" came up on the VOY forum, somebody suggested I put up a poll like this, but I didn't know how (and still don't) so I'm glad to see somebody did. I voted Door 2 - Kes, Tom, B'Elanna, and Voyager herself were highlights in a generally-solid-occassionally-great TV show.

Also distressed to hear that the so-called "forum wars" were real.
Old October 19 2009, 03:00 AM   #26
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

This thread begs the question, now that it's been active for a bit.

Where's Anwar?

Also:

TeutonicNights wrote: View Post
Yeah, but TNG also had "descent" and "I, Borg".FC was "re-scarifying" them if anything.
I don't think I,Borg took away from that. It made the Borg more interesting and gave us another, unique look at them. And you're crazy, there's no TNG episode named Descent. ha. ha. ha. Shut up, I can't hear you.

Last edited by RyuRoots; October 19 2009 at 03:16 AM.
RyuRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 03:52 AM   #27
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I must seriously be the only person who liked "Descent," on the ENTIRE board.
Old October 19 2009, 03:54 AM   #28
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

If it happened to be on and I had nothing better to do, I always found VOY watchable. But aside from a few instances (Scorpion, for instance), I never really felt it was 'must-see TV'. Truthfully tho', it's not like DS9 was always 'must-see TV' either during first-run. There were huge chunks that I totally missed, and only caught up on once the DVDs came out (or if I happened to stumble upon a convenient syndication time).

I guess that's the clincher tho'. Whereas I just had to get the DS9 DVDs when they came out, I've pretty much skipped out on the VOY DVDs, and am really not all that fussed to pick 'em up either.
Old October 19 2009, 04:14 AM   #29
Anwar
Vice Admiral

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
This thread begs the question, now that it's been active for a bit.

Where's Anwar?
I've been vacationing in Orlando, Florida for the past week. I just came back from my first night at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights, much fun.

Anyways this thread is for the Niners, so I thought I'd leave it alone. Thank you for the mention, though.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 08:12 AM   #30
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Having just watched DS9 S3 and VOY S1 side-by-side as they aired, I have to say VOY was actually the better overall show at that point, even if it didn't quite have the same peaks as DS9 did during that time.