Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 17 2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Anybody else sick of Vampires?

It seems to me that wherever you look vampires are the new "in" thing. It seems that we are being saturated with them. There are all kinds of shows, movies, books etc dealing with them.

It is getting kind of boring now.

What I would like to see is a good remake of "Frankenstein"
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Anybody else sick of Vampires?

I remember when Superfriends used to do the odd vampire episode. For some stupid reason, the vamps could never be shown actually *biting* anyone, so the only way vampirism could spread was by...wait for it...laser beams. Yep, you read that right. In one ep, the vamps shot laser beams from their eyes. The other - from the fangs!
Old October 17 2009, 04:02 AM   #3
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

More than vampires I think there's way too many zombies or zombie-like creatures in media these days.
Old October 17 2009, 04:02 AM   #4
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I was never all that fond of Vampires and the new Vampire rage does nothing to change that opinion. The only time I really liked them was in 'Salem's Lot where King made them really scary.
Old October 17 2009, 04:04 AM   #5
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Wolvermouse wrote: View Post
More than vampires I think there's way too many zombies or zombie-like creatures in media these days.
Agreed.

Especially since zombies, as characters, inherently limit the premise. There's never been a zombie movie that I'm aware of which didn't end with everybody either dead or a zombie. It's pretty much inevitable that a zombie film end that way, because no such film ever presented a cure...
Old October 17 2009, 04:09 AM   #6
Crash
Vice Admiral

I dunno, zombies just need a different spin. I'm actually hoping someone runs with the idea of making a movie told exclusively from the point of view of 24 hour news. Imagine the zombie apocalypse told through CNN or Fox. If you wanted to do a comedy you could throw in some pundits with nutty conspiracy theories.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Joshua Howard
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joshua Howard

The whole Twilight saga is something that I keep a moderate distance away from. It throws teenage girls into a certain spell and attracts them in a way that is just plain frightening. In any case, I have a hard time thinking vamps are particularly cool; of course, I did find Buffy the Vampire Slayer entertaining enough to buy the series on DVD, so I suppose I should take that back at least a little bit.

I think that the whole vampire romance bit is where I draw the line. They are supposed to be evil rotten creepy monsters; not wildly seductive sex idols.

- The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Joshua Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Goji
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Agreed.

Especially since zombies, as characters, inherently limit the premise. There's never been a zombie movie that I'm aware of which didn't end with everybody either dead or a zombie. It's pretty much inevitable that a zombie film end that way, because no such film ever presented a cure...
Saun of the Dead?

Which is pretty much the best zombie movie, anyway.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:17 AM   #9
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Vampires suck!

Sorry.
Old October 17 2009, 04:19 AM   #10
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Oh, you've just been watching too much Fox News.

Yes, I'm kind of sick of vampires, but the pop culture obsession with them seems to come in waves every couple of decades -- like bubble skirts and aviator glasses! The pilgrimage to Forks that my Twilight obsessed mother and sister forced me to accompany them on pushed me over. I don't mind good vampire movies and literature, but that was just miserable!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Lookingglassman
Admiral

The original Buffy movie was great. I aint got no problem with some vampire shows, but it feels like there is an over saturation of it now. Time to move on. Twilight was awful. I remember watching it on a bus full of teenage girls (dont ask) and I couldnt believe their reactions. You would have thought they were catholics and the virgin mary appeared to them

I also agree about zombies. A movie based on the book "World War Z" might be good,though.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:22 AM   #12
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ Naw, Wet Work would make a much better film...
Old October 17 2009, 04:23 AM   #13
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I remember watching it on a bus full of teenage girls (dont ask)
Oh, I have to.
Old October 17 2009, 04:25 AM   #14
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
Twilight was awful.
I was actually impressed at how bad it was! I agreed to watch because my sister loved it, though I was never interested -- I figured it would be lame but entertaining. It wasn't even that! Dreadful and dreadully boring.
I remember watching it on a bus full of teenage girls (dont ask) and I couldnt believe their reactions. You would have thought they were catholics and the virgin mary appeared to them
Well, if you can say anything at all about the film it's that the male lead is undeniably foxy.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:26 AM   #15
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Yes. Far too many Emo-teenage angst-aren't they cool-vampire movies, shows and books. Bah. I got over the "OMG-Vampires R Awesome" thing when I was in high school.

The whole zombie thing pretty much bores me. It must be a guy thing, frankly, because--other than Shaun of the Dead--I've never been terribly fond of zombie movies. Hubby and his pals just LOVE them. I thought Zombieland was OK and 28 Days Later held my interest--but all the rest? I couldn't even watch them all the way through.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote