RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,932
Posts: 5,389,927
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 457
Newest member: Leaveitalone

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 14 2009, 10:03 PM   #1
paudemge
Captain
 
Duplicate Earth in Miri

Was there every going to be more to this duplicate earth than what we got in the episode? I know stories go through numerous changes and edits and sometimes elements are left over from earlier drafts so as I was reading the WTF thread I thought did the writers ever mean for there be more to having an exact duplicate of earth?
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Evidently not. There's nothing more about it in the final draft script:

http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/articles/miri.htm
There's still no explanation for "Another Earth." I think Spies (pronounced "Spees") was just trying to be "Sci-Fiey."
And the Star Trek Compendium's discussion of the first draft doesn't mention anything about the "other Earth" aspect. I think it was just a throwaway element inserted for two reasons: a) to provide an effective teaser to grab the audience, and b) to justify the use of location shooting at the Culver City backlot to stand in for an "alien" planet (which is a whole lot more affordable than building a ruined alien city would've been).

This was the '60s, after all, and when it came to stories about space in the mass media, there was a sense that anything was possible, yet at the same time mass audiences and TV writers didn't have much experience with the full range of SF imagination you'd find in literature. So sometimes you got stories where people went to an alien world and found it was just like home... except everyone was 70 feet tall! Or except they were all telepaths! Or except most of them were left-handed! Audiences back then would've accepted it.

I've always had the impression that Adrian Spies was feeling toward a parallel-timeline sort of story. Miri's Earth collapsed at a 20th-century level 300 years before the episode, and it's pretty much what Earth itself would be if it had fallen prey to the same kind of experiment-gone-wrong. But such ideas weren't yet clearly delineated in the mind of the SFTV viewer or television writer of the era, so instead of presenting an actual method for crossing timelines, Spies just went with a more brute-force kind of "alternate Earth," one that a spaceship could just stumble across.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

For the record, I'm a left-hander, and not an alien!

I do wonder if the idea was that this world WAS an 'alternate Earth' in a Twilight Zone sense, without really thinking about the implications of it just sitting there WITHOUT being in an 'alternate reality' of any sort...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 02:51 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

The Twilight Zone analogy is probably a pretty good one.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 02:54 AM   #5
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Actually, I recently watched the very immaculate collector's set of Twilight Zone's first season, and an awful lot of the writing used in TOS's first batches made a lot more sense when viewed from that light. Not a bad way to go, dramatically, but it makes for some messy science-fiction at times. (Miri, as a good example.)
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 03:10 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Writers were encouraged early on to think in terms of anthology-style stories, ala "Twilight Zone" or "The Outer Limits" and to use the flexibility of the Trek format to work them into the continuity of the series regulars. "Miri" is just one of the stranger examples of it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Morpheus 02
Commodore
 
Location: Chicago IL
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

What are the popular theories of Miri's earth & the one with the Comms & Yanks?

One thought: A civil war with the Q, where there literally tossed around worlds, and brought some to the Trek galaxy.

Perhpas Starfleet has some knowledge of it, but will only share it with Captains if they find an alternate earth (like the Enterprise did).


Here's a question -- are there alternate Vulcans? Or Romulus? Or ...?
__________________
Morpheus 02
a.k.a.
JP Paulus jp [at] paulus . com
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
What are the popular theories of Miri's earth & the one with the Comms & Yanks?
The original draft of "Omega Glory" mentioned that the planet was likely a human colony dating from the early space exploration years. Sadly, the timeline involved would be insanely off for the other points mentioned. (This really would have solidified the episode in a lot of ways if more hints had been thrown in as you went, rather than an absurdly bad final act.)

"Miri" is nearly impossible to explain, short of Magrathea. Even if you cite the Preservers (which is often used to explain TOS's worlds), you still don't get an identical Earth out of it. Any theories start requiring 'three degrees of fandom' which generally equates to crap writing.

Here's a question -- are there alternate Vulcans? Or Romulus? Or ...?
Spock mentions that Vulcan itself may be a seeded world, meaning that it may ALREADY be an 'alternate' in the sense of Trek's 'parallel developments'. Romulus certainly is, of course, since it's a colony of Vulcan. TNG shows a couple of more Vulcan colonies as well.

Straight up Miri-like clones? Never shown, but there's no more reason to assume that there isn't than there is reason to assume there is.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 05:09 AM   #9
USS Excelsior
Commodore
 
USS Excelsior's Avatar
 
Location: Alpha Quadrant
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Maybe the planet escaped from a parallel universe so their Earth is now missing. Then there's also that Roman Empire Earth.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 05:15 AM   #10
David cgc
Vice Admiral
 
David cgc's Avatar
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
Here's a question -- are there alternate Vulcans? Or Romulus? Or ...?
In one of the Shatnerverse novels, someone lists off the precise duplicates of major planets that have been found. Something like ten Earths, six Vulcans, three Andors, four Quo'nos's, and so on. The information was classified because, really, that sort of thing would be intensely disturbing to find out on all sorts of levels. IIRC, it was theorized they were all controls for large-scale experiments on the development of civilization, so the force that set them up could do apples-to-apples comparisons. I think it was also suggested that the Mirror Universe might've been a similar large-scale sociological experiment.

Incidentally, this reminds me of one of my favorite gags from Five Minute Enterprise, from the Cowboy Planet episode:

Archer: This is just weird. What's the Wild Wild West doing in the Expanse?
T'Pol: One Earth scientist has proposed that independent planets sometimes evolve on parallel courses.
Archer: That Hodgkin quack? No way.
T'Pol: Then perhaps the inhabitants patterned their civilization on a Western novel left here centuries ago.
Archer: (sigh) Go investigate the alien settlement with Trip. If you won't be serious, there's no point in talking.
__________________
“I come here to have fun and fuck around merrily. I expect to showered by all kind of random crap.”
iguana_tonante
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 05:25 AM   #11
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
Maybe the planet escaped from a parallel universe so their Earth is now missing. Then there's also that Roman Empire Earth.
You could much easier explain Roman Earth as a colony (particularly when you remember the Apollo episode) that split off eons ago. The only thing that wouldn't make sense THERE is the Roman use of colloquial English. Something that the audience could have ignored if they hadn't made such an effort to point it out.

As for Miri's planet, again, the 'escaped from a parallel universe' runs into the 'three degrees of fandom' issue again. Granted, nearly any explanation is going to do that...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 04:48 AM   #12
CaptMurdock
Commodore
 
CaptMurdock's Avatar
 
Location: The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
View CaptMurdock's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CaptMurdock Send a message via Yahoo to CaptMurdock
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

My way of dealing with "Miri": The Revisionist Deconstruction of Apocrypha, or to put it another way, no, the planet in question wasn't really identical to Earth, down to the continental configuration. Rather, it was a Class-M world with conditions within fractions of a percent to Earth.

I know, I know, once you start down this road, foreve will it dominate...sorry, wrong universe. I recognize the slippery-slope here. But, do you want to be faithful or do you want it all to make sense?
__________________
Watching Fox News to learn about politics is like watching Hogan's Heroes to learn about the Holocaust.
CaptMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 05:08 AM   #13
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia
 
Location: Torrance, California
Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Vance wrote: View Post
Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
What are the popular theories of Miri's earth & the one with the Comms & Yanks?
The original draft of "Omega Glory" mentioned that the planet was likely a human colony dating from the early space exploration years. Sadly, the timeline involved would be insanely off for the other points mentioned. (This really would have solidified the episode in a lot of ways if more hints had been thrown in as you went, rather than an absurdly bad final act.)

"Miri" is nearly impossible to explain, short of Magrathea. Even if you cite the Preservers (which is often used to explain TOS's worlds), you still don't get an identical Earth out of it. Any theories start requiring 'three degrees of fandom' which generally equates to crap writing.

Here's a question -- are there alternate Vulcans? Or Romulus? Or ...?
Spock mentions that Vulcan itself may be a seeded world, meaning that it may ALREADY be an 'alternate' in the sense of Trek's 'parallel developments'. Romulus certainly is, of course, since it's a colony of Vulcan. TNG shows a couple of more Vulcan colonies as well.

Straight up Miri-like clones? Never shown, but there's no more reason to assume that there isn't than there is reason to assume there is.
In regards to the TNG thing... the only other Vulcanoid race we saw other than the Vulcans and Romulans, was the Mintakans, and they were not a "colony" of Vulcans, but a separate Vulcanoid species.

That was actually what I liked best about that whole episode... that it showed us that even a non-human humanoid could be repeated through the galaxy, and everyone didn't have to look just like humans. There could be more than one or two species that look just like Vulcans as well. Pity we never saw any Klingonoids or Ferenginoids, hehe.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Morpheus 02
Commodore
 
Location: Chicago IL
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Vance wrote: View Post
Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
What are the popular theories of Miri's earth & the one with the Comms & Yanks?
The original draft of "Omega Glory" mentioned that the planet was likely a human colony dating from the early space exploration years. Sadly, the timeline involved would be insanely off for the other points mentioned. (This really would have solidified the episode in a lot of ways if more hints had been thrown in as you went, rather than an absurdly bad final act.)

"Miri" is nearly impossible to explain, short of Magrathea. Even if you cite the Preservers (which is often used to explain TOS's worlds), you still don't get an identical Earth out of it. Any theories start requiring 'three degrees of fandom' which generally equates to crap writing.

Here's a question -- are there alternate Vulcans? Or Romulus? Or ...?
Spock mentions that Vulcan itself may be a seeded world, meaning that it may ALREADY be an 'alternate' in the sense of Trek's 'parallel developments'. Romulus certainly is, of course, since it's a colony of Vulcan. TNG shows a couple of more Vulcan colonies as well.

Straight up Miri-like clones? Never shown, but there's no more reason to assume that there isn't than there is reason to assume there is.
In regards to the TNG thing... the only other Vulcanoid race we saw other than the Vulcans and Romulans, was the Mintakans, and they were not a "colony" of Vulcans, but a separate Vulcanoid species.

That was actually what I liked best about that whole episode... that it showed us that even a non-human humanoid could be repeated through the galaxy, and everyone didn't have to look just like humans. There could be more than one or two species that look just like Vulcans as well. Pity we never saw any Klingonoids or Ferenginoids, hehe.
Actually, we did get some Klingonoids in the form of Talarians in TNG's "Suddenly Human". They had leather like uniforms kinda like Klingons, and a lite version of head ridges. And of course, they were a warrior race.

As for Feregnoids, there was a bizarro version..."We look for things...to make us go..."
__________________
Morpheus 02
a.k.a.
JP Paulus jp [at] paulus . com
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 10:45 PM   #15
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Between the candle and the star
Re: Duplicate Earth in Miri

Yeah, that duplicate Earth thing was a bit of a WTF moment, wasn't it? I did assume they were going somewhere with it, but evidently not. I love the fact that, even though it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, it is nonetheless canon and when we watch DS9 or Voyager we have to remember that somewhere out there is a planet that looks exactly the same as Earth.
__________________
"I hate purity, I hate goodness! I don't want any virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone to be corrupt to the bones." - Winston Smith
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.