Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 12 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Paranormal Activity

It looks like a rip-off of the Blair Witch Project. Basically a wife is haunted by a demon and her and her husband film their experiences in their house.

Has anybody seen this movie? It has been released in a limited run and if you want to see it in your area you have to go to a website and request it. If you have seen it is it any good?
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Paranormal Activity

It was okay. Pretty good for a movie that only cost around $15,000. It's not as creepy or compelling as BLAIR WITCH, but it does pay off better.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

It's getting a wide release now, I'm looking forward to see it.
Old October 14 2009, 11:12 AM   #4
sithlord
Lieutenant Commander

Just saw it tonight. It's fun, especially if you're into ghost stories. The scares are cool and mostly in camera. The build up and atmosphere are great.

I will say it is difficult to be at home alone tonight, as I can't stop thinking about the movie. Just a little while ago, I'm sitting reading some web sites, with my cat on my lap and a loud noise goes off behind me. Just turned out to be an empty box I had precariously stacked on some other stuff, but DAMN, creeped me the hell out.
sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I saw the movie last weekend. An extremely effective albeit overhyped horror movie, it stays with you far after the movie is over. My friend that I saw it with has been paranoid all week hearing noises and apparently seeing odd lights, and the night we saw the movie apparently his garage was robbed, which either happened whilst we were away or while we were at his house, except there was no sign of forced entry.

All in all, the experience and feeling you have after seeing the movie is probably more effective than the movie itself, but that is merely a backhanded compliment since clearly in order to be affected so the film had to do something, and Paranormal Activity will definitely stay with you far after the movie has ended. To me, that's the mark of a damn fine horror flick.
Old October 14 2009, 01:02 PM   #6
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I saw the movie last weekend. An extremely effective albeit overhyped horror movie, it stays with you far after the movie is over.
How can a genuinely frightening horror movie be overhyped? It doesn't happen that often.
Old October 15 2009, 05:47 AM   #7
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

The movie takes a while to get going and isn't actually that scary itself. It's the feeling you get after watching it which is the most unsettling, if that makes any sense.
Old October 15 2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Ryan
Commodore

I found it very disappointing. I know a few people who had to sleep with the lights on after watching it. I went home, watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory, and promptly forgot all about the movie before my head even hit the pillow.

The insane amount of hype going into this really amplified the plot problems and pacing issues. The psychic exists only to keep the couple isolated and alone in the house and does a completely unconvincing job of it. They just sorta do what he says because, you know, things are working out so well for them.

We also have huge lengths of time where nothing happens. For a second it looked like the Ouija board might signal a ramping up of activity in other locations in the house but nope. The movie went right back to everything happening in the bedroom punctuated by long periods of nothing happening anywhere else.

When Micah went into the attic I was reminded how much better a film [Rec] was in the same "recovered footage" horror genre.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 08:12 AM   #9
roguephoenix
Captain

WORST THING YOU WILL EVER SEE! they should have called it Paranormal Craptivity. that would be a more accurate title. NOTHING HAPPENS. the trailer IS the movie. i have been on a campaign telling people about this crap. watch the trailer and you've seen everything there is to see in the movie.
Old October 17 2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral

Blair Witch was crap. This movie I haven't heard much critical reviews of, so for individuals, it's probably going to be hit or miss. Though I'd imagine if you HAVE had a paranormal experience personally, you might view the movie slightly differently....
Old October 17 2009, 04:39 PM   #11
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I saw it last night, I enjoyed it but I think I'd have liked it a lot more seeing it in an intimate environment. Watching it with a girlfriend or a few friends in a basement den or something would be a great experience. I find with any horror movie by the time I get back out on to the street the "vibe" from the movie, no matter how creepy, just washes away and I become my usual cynical self again.

Very good film for an aspiring filmmaker to see what you can do with 10 000 dollars and a neat little premise.
Old October 17 2009, 05:00 PM   #12
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
It was okay. Pretty good for a movie that only cost around $15,000. It's not as creepy or compelling as BLAIR WITCH, but it does pay off better.
Oh Jesus it's worst that Blaire Witch!

I don't bother with "horror" movies anymore because they aren't at all scary and just gore. However I know several friends that have seen it and they say it's this generations Blaire Witch.
Old October 20 2009, 05:10 AM   #13
ExcaliburZeta
Ensign

I just saw it today with a bunch of friends and I thought it was rather overhyped. The movie had a creepy/eerie feeling to it, and the buildup was good, but I felt as if the payoff at the end was just a big letdown. By the end of the movie the characters were annoying me and I really didn't get scared once during the whole movie.

I liked where it was going and it did have the creepiness factor down, but I don't see where people were calling it one of the scariest movies out there.

-Calvin and Hobbes
ExcaliburZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 06:51 AM   #14
Mr Nighttime
Lieutenant Commander

Capt_Piett wrote: View Post
Blair Witch was crap.
Quoted for truth.
Mr Nighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 05:28 PM   #15
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Not a big fan of standard ghost movies (prefer Lovecraftian style horror) but I'll probably pick up the dvd, since I personally enjoyed Blair Witch a lot.

I like those few and far between horror films that work on your imagination rather than just waving a bloody machete in front of the camera or having a guy in a latex mask or CGI monster jump out and yell 'Boo!'. (unless its a zombie movie of course. In which case sign me up!)

Though from the sound of things, I'd better prepare for a few sleepless nights.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote