Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 13 2009, 11:56 PM   #31
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Your least favorite TV romances & why?

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Samaritan wrote: View Post
Buffy/Angel I hated Angel from the begining, this relationship was doomed from the start and it was like watching paint dry. I always thought Buffy/Spike had more energy.
I think Buffy had uniformly terrible taste in men. Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Riley, & Buffy/Spike were all terrible for different reasons. Buffy/Angel didn't work because while Angel was on Buffy he didn't have any real personality. He was just the hunky vampire for Buffy & Cordelia to drool over. Buffy & Riley just plain didn't have any chemistry (although I think that Riley is an underrated member of the Scooby gang). And while there was a very interesting, explosive chemistry between Buffy & Spike, the whole attempted rape at the end of Season 6 made it all too unseemly. Personally, I'm a Buffy/Xander 'shipper.
Ugh. Let me say immediately that I have only seen the first 3 seasons of Buffy, so I can't say anything about Buffy/Spike (except that, knowing the characters, I bet they had better chemistry than Buffy and Angel) or Buffy/Riley (I don't even know the guy). But nothing, nothing could possibly be worse than Buffy/Xander, and what a relief that this did not happen, because Xander was the most annoying character on that show by far. Besides, I never bought the whole Buffy/Xander/Willow dynamic in the early seasons. A gang of best friends where they are all aware that one of them has an unrequited crush on another who has an unrequited crush on the third member of the gang, and their friendship still works wonderfully? How unrealistic. But then, the portrayal of relationships and teen life on Buffy TVS always was. (And before someone says something like, 'it's a show about vampires' and you want it to be realistic?': fantasy genre is no excuse for the lack of psychological realism.) Which is one of the reasons why I've never been a big fan of Joss Whedon. Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed with all the wisecracking and 'cool' behavior, too.

Back on topic:
The Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle is by far my least favorite romantic plot - it has been dragged on and it has been ruining an otherwise great show for 5 seasons already. And it only got worse when it became a quandrangle with Juliet. The behavior of the characters in the season 5 finale was beyond immature. Fifteen-year olds are more mature than that. It has hurt every character involved, and Kate in particular has been ruined by it as a character, and defined as a whiny, childish, wishy-washy, selfish bimbo who has no idea what she wants.

The Lee/Kara/Sam/Dee quandrangle was also awful, the only good thing about it was that it lasted shorter and only ruined a few episodes. Thank gods that it wasn't dragged through the entire series. (And out of these, Lee/Dee was the worst couple by far.)

Tigh/Caprica 6. What were the writers smoking?!

Boomer/Cavil. Ewww.

Kes/Neelix. No explanation necessary.

Strictly speaking, not TV, but we're on Star Trek forum and it involved TV characters: Scotty and Uhura in ST V. Where did that come from and what the hell was that about?!

Joey and Rachel on Friends. I had already found Friends unbearable for a few seasons by that point, but that was the low point.

Finally... I don't know if it fits the definition of a romance, but they are a married couple, and supposedly are or were in love at some point... I really HATE mismatched comedy couples like Raymond and Debra on "Everybody Loves Raymond".

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 10:49 PM   #32
payndz201
Commodore

Man, why the Joey/Rachel hatred? He's dim, she's shallow, they both think they're God's gift to the opposite sex... it's a wonder it didn't happen earlier. And it was obviously going to be a temporary thing - did anyone honestly think they'd end the series with the Ballad of Ross and Rachel on a down note?

Really, when you have six main characters in a light-hearted relationship comedy where none of them would ever do anything to really hurt any of the others and two of them have already been married off, you're limited to either mismatched pairings (if you hated Joey/Rachel, imagine Ross/Phoebe!) or bringing in randoms from outside that nobody watching really cares about (Mike).
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 12:27 AM   #33
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Hey, I liked Mike! And Ross/Phoebe would have been awesome. They would both be gibbering wrecks by the end (at least Ross would), but it'd have been worth it.
Old October 18 2009, 03:12 AM   #34
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Besides, I never bought the whole Buffy/Xander/Willow dynamic in the early seasons. A gang of best friends where they are all aware that one of them has an unrequited crush on another who has an unrequited crush on the third member of the gang, and their friendship still works wonderfully? How unrealistic.
I don't know. I have an unrequited crush on one of my married friends, something which can't be too much of a secret, yet it seems to work with all 3 of us.
Old October 18 2009, 05:50 AM   #35
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
David Addison/Maddie Hayes, they "did it" and the show immediately turned to crap.
I always think about this one while watching Bones and wondering if they'll ever shoehorn Booth & Bones together. And would the move doom the show like Moonlighting. Of course, they did a dream/coma episode, maybe just to see what would happen.

Sometimes the chase is better than the catch.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2009, 09:28 AM   #36
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

One of my least favourite tv romances, that seems very popular in the other thread, is Monica and Chandler from Friends. I have no idea why, though. At first I thought it was because I didn't like Monica, but I really like her with Richard, so it can't be that.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 04:04 AM   #37
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Veronica/Duncan, Veronica Mars.
Duncan was so damn dull! WTF did Veronica see in him?!
Old October 20 2009, 07:04 AM   #38
Thrall
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Veronica/Duncan, Veronica Mars.
Duncan was so damn dull! WTF did Veronica see in him?!
It was real life Angel/Buffy. Just like her thing with Logan was real life Spike/Buffy. I hated Logan. Rich, spoiled, frat boy douche.