RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,213
Posts: 5,437,538
Members: 24,952
Currently online: 496
Newest member: secondhandmeth

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 12 2009, 06:39 PM   #31
Great Pumpkin
Pumpkin God
 
Great Pumpkin's Avatar
 
Location: In the pumpkin patch to surprise Linus and Captain Ice
Re: Expensive tickets

^My last tickets for the Coyotes were acquired in a similar manner. The owner of the company I work for had season tickets as part of a sponsorship deal. When they decided that they weren't going to the game, they rememberred that I like watching hockey, so they called and offered me their 4 tickets for that night at no charge. The face value on the tickets was something like $80 or $90 each.
__________________
Captain Ice is now Captain Stoned. - KM
You are too straight to be a floral designer. - da Bunny

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Great Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:07 PM   #32
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Expensive tickets

I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:30 PM   #33
K'Ehleyr
Commodore
 
K'Ehleyr's Avatar
 
Location: In a world which very few others see
Re: Expensive tickets

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.
Opposite here ~ for the last couple of years we've had events/trips away as birthday/Christmas pressies. We've done Les Mis in the West End, Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, and Bill Bailley live. The tickets, the transport and the accommodation do add up but I consider the excitement of the build up, the planning of the trip and the memories to be invaluable ~ especially with a great friend who you don't see that often. Oh and the gigs were good too ~ forgot about The Main Event! And things like this you only kick yourself if you miss. Money is for enjoying.
__________________
Oh for goodness sake it's not that important.
Unless it is really important ~ then you can always email it to me and I'll ignore it again tomorrow.

Last edited by K'Ehleyr; October 12 2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forgot the main event!
K'Ehleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:34 PM   #34
Korob
The Revd's Oldman
 
Korob's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Korob's Twitter Profile
Re: Expensive tickets

I think about £30 on seeing a stand up comedian... I don't remember who, so it was probably something I should regret.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Korob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:36 PM   #35
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper
 
ZUUL-iet's Avatar
 
Location: Scuderia Demonio Rosso
Send a message via Yahoo to ZUUL-iet
Re: Expensive tickets

Probably about 100,000 lire to see Aida at the Arena di Verona, 10 years ago. At the time, I was a penniless student and it seemed like a lot of money.
__________________
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell

There is no Zion Ravescene, only Zulu Romeo...
ZUUL-iet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:42 PM   #36
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Expensive tickets

Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.
Opposite here ~ for the last couple of years we've had events/trips away as birthday/Christmas pressies. We've done Les Mis in the West End, Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, and Bill Bailley live. The tickets, the transport and the accommodation do add up but I consider the excitement of the build up, the planning of the trip and the memories to be invaluable ~ especially with a great friend who you don't see that often. Oh and the gigs were good too ~ forgot about The Main Event! And things like this you only kick yourself if you miss. Money is for enjoying.
The last sentence I can wholeheartedly agree with... I just feel a slight sense of waste when I spend it on one-offs. When I spend it on indulgences that last a while I don't have that sense. For instance, I suspect few on the board spend what I do on clothes, but for me it's not excessive because I get to enjoy them for the many years that they last. Whereas a holiday would be over in a couple of weeks.

What's definitely important is enjoying it, though! And that just varies for different people.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:51 PM   #37
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral
 
Pegaritaville's Avatar
 
Location: On the 'Croix
Re: Expensive tickets

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
We paid $385 (tickets and booking fees) for 2 tickets to the Twins/Yankees game tonight. Not the most I've paid, but for tickets that had a $30 face value, it was a lot.
While I was watching that, I wondered if you were there. To bad the Metrodome had to go out on such a sour note.

Question though - Will the Vikings be playing there next year or are they getting a new field too?
Yeah, I was there. Had I waited, I could have gotten those tickets for less than half of what I paid, but I wanted to make sure I had tickets. Glad I got to see the final game at the Dome, but I'm looking forward to the new stadium. I'll probably overpay for tickets there, too.

The Vikes have a contract to play in the Metrodome until 2011. After that, they'll probalby have to negotiate a new lease. They're trying to get a new stadium, but so far they've gotten nowhere.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 08:32 PM   #38
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: Expensive tickets

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Just recently got front row seats for Cirque du Soliel for just about $100, totally worth it!
Which show did you see?

When we go to CDS we always buy the Tapis Rouge tickets. The pre-party and intermission desserts are excellent.

My daughter and I are seeing Ovo in February. Those tickets were $250 each.
We saw Alegria. The travelling show came through our town recently. I've never seen CDS before and was quite blownaway. Very impressive! Not sure how that show compares to others but we were very happy!

Mr Awe
Alegria is a good one. If you ever go to Las Vegas, check out Ka at the MGM. Of all the shows I've seen, that's my favorite. We probably paid $300 a ticket for that.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:41 PM   #39
K'Ehleyr
Commodore
 
K'Ehleyr's Avatar
 
Location: In a world which very few others see
Re: Expensive tickets

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.
Opposite here ~ for the last couple of years we've had events/trips away as birthday/Christmas pressies. We've done Les Mis in the West End, Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, and Bill Bailley live. The tickets, the transport and the accommodation do add up but I consider the excitement of the build up, the planning of the trip and the memories to be invaluable ~ especially with a great friend who you don't see that often. Oh and the gigs were good too ~ forgot about The Main Event! And things like this you only kick yourself if you miss. Money is for enjoying.
The last sentence I can wholeheartedly agree with... I just feel a slight sense of waste when I spend it on one-offs. When I spend it on indulgences that last a while I don't have that sense. For instance, I suspect few on the board spend what I do on clothes, but for me it's not excessive because I get to enjoy them for the many years that they last. Whereas a holiday would be over in a couple of weeks.

What's definitely important is enjoying it, though! And that just varies for different people.
Oh honey, I think we all know about your fetish But you buy expensive clothes, you appreciate expensive clothes and you enjoy expensive clothes ~ and you look damn good in them too Quality and style will always last.

I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think
__________________
Oh for goodness sake it's not that important.
Unless it is really important ~ then you can always email it to me and I'll ignore it again tomorrow.
K'Ehleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:41 PM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Expensive tickets

Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think
So would that qualify as salmon chanted evening then?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:49 PM   #41
K'Ehleyr
Commodore
 
K'Ehleyr's Avatar
 
Location: In a world which very few others see
Re: Expensive tickets

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think
So would that qualify as salmon chanted evening then?

That joke's gonna kipper me giggling all evening
Go fish pun thread...
__________________
Oh for goodness sake it's not that important.
Unless it is really important ~ then you can always email it to me and I'll ignore it again tomorrow.
K'Ehleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:57 PM   #42
Great Pumpkin
Pumpkin God
 
Great Pumpkin's Avatar
 
Location: In the pumpkin patch to surprise Linus and Captain Ice
Re: Expensive tickets

:facepalm:

Holy Mackerel....
__________________
Captain Ice is now Captain Stoned. - KM
You are too straight to be a floral designer. - da Bunny

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Great Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 10:00 PM   #43
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Expensive tickets

98 € a ticket for Paul McCartney in 2003. That's about as high as I would go, but at the time I thought it might be his last tour. Also, those were seats in the best category. It was totally worth it. But I'm glad that he charged less in 2004.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 10:03 PM   #44
Michael Chris
Admiral
 
Location: The 'Querq, NM
Re: Expensive tickets

I didn't pay, but the most expensive ticket that I've ever used was about $1,500 off of eBay for Game 3 of the 2007 World Series in Denver. Horrible seats too!
__________________
To live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Michael Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 10:30 PM   #45
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Expensive tickets

Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think
So would that qualify as salmon chanted evening then?

That joke's gonna kipper me giggling all evening
Go fish pun thread...
I'm glad I could kelp out. But are you sure you can hake any more of it? Haven't we all haddock enough? I admit, though, it's better than sitting around downloading prawn off the 'net...
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
tickets

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.