To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 12 2009, 06:39 PM   #31
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Re: Expensive tickets

^My last tickets for the Coyotes were acquired in a similar manner. The owner of the company I work for had season tickets as part of a sponsorship deal. When they decided that they weren't going to the game, they rememberred that I like watching hockey, so they called and offered me their 4 tickets for that night at no charge. The face value on the tickets was something like $80 or $90 each.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:07 PM   #32
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:30 PM   #33
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.
Opposite here ~ for the last couple of years we've had events/trips away as birthday/Christmas pressies. We've done Les Mis in the West End, Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, and Bill Bailley live. The tickets, the transport and the accommodation do add up but I consider the excitement of the build up, the planning of the trip and the memories to be invaluable ~ especially with a great friend who you don't see that often. Oh and the gigs were good too ~ forgot about The Main Event! And things like this you only kick yourself if you miss. Money is for enjoying.

Last edited by K'Ehleyr; October 12 2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forgot the main event!
K'Ehleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:34 PM   #34
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I think about £30 on seeing a stand up comedian... I don't remember who, so it was probably something I should regret.
Old October 12 2009, 07:36 PM   #35
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Probably about 100,000 lire to see Aida at the Arena di Verona, 10 years ago. At the time, I was a penniless student and it seemed like a lot of money.

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:42 PM   #36
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Sk'ehlyer wrote: View Post
Opposite here ~ for the last couple of years we've had events/trips away as birthday/Christmas pressies. We've done Les Mis in the West End, Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, and Bill Bailley live. The tickets, the transport and the accommodation do add up but I consider the excitement of the build up, the planning of the trip and the memories to be invaluable ~ especially with a great friend who you don't see that often. Oh and the gigs were good too ~ forgot about The Main Event! And things like this you only kick yourself if you miss. Money is for enjoying.
The last sentence I can wholeheartedly agree with... I just feel a slight sense of waste when I spend it on one-offs. When I spend it on indulgences that last a while I don't have that sense. For instance, I suspect few on the board spend what I do on clothes, but for me it's not excessive because I get to enjoy them for the many years that they last. Whereas a holiday would be over in a couple of weeks.

What's definitely important is enjoying it, though! And that just varies for different people.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 07:51 PM   #37
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
We paid $385 (tickets and booking fees) for 2 tickets to the Twins/Yankees game tonight. Not the most I've paid, but for tickets that had a $30 face value, it was a lot.
While I was watching that, I wondered if you were there. To bad the Metrodome had to go out on such a sour note.

Question though - Will the Vikings be playing there next year or are they getting a new field too?
Yeah, I was there. Had I waited, I could have gotten those tickets for less than half of what I paid, but I wanted to make sure I had tickets. Glad I got to see the final game at the Dome, but I'm looking forward to the new stadium. I'll probably overpay for tickets there, too.

The Vikes have a contract to play in the Metrodome until 2011. After that, they'll probalby have to negotiate a new lease. They're trying to get a new stadium, but so far they've gotten nowhere.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 08:32 PM   #38
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Just recently got front row seats for Cirque du Soliel for just about $100, totally worth it!
Which show did you see?

When we go to CDS we always buy the Tapis Rouge tickets. The pre-party and intermission desserts are excellent.

My daughter and I are seeing Ovo in February. Those tickets were $250 each.
We saw Alegria. The travelling show came through our town recently. I've never seen CDS before and was quite blownaway. Very impressive! Not sure how that show compares to others but we were very happy!

Mr Awe
Alegria is a good one. If you ever go to Las Vegas, check out Ka at the MGM. Of all the shows I've seen, that's my favorite. We probably paid $300 a ticket for that.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:41 PM   #39
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

The last sentence I can wholeheartedly agree with... I just feel a slight sense of waste when I spend it on one-offs. When I spend it on indulgences that last a while I don't have that sense. For instance, I suspect few on the board spend what I do on clothes, but for me it's not excessive because I get to enjoy them for the many years that they last. Whereas a holiday would be over in a couple of weeks.

What's definitely important is enjoying it, though! And that just varies for different people.
Oh honey, I think we all know about your fetish But you buy expensive clothes, you appreciate expensive clothes and you enjoy expensive clothes ~ and you look damn good in them too Quality and style will always last.

I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think
Old October 12 2009, 09:41 PM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think
So would that qualify as salmon chanted evening then?
Old October 12 2009, 09:49 PM   #41
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

That joke's gonna kipper me giggling all evening
Go fish pun thread...
Old October 12 2009, 09:57 PM   #42
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

:facepalm:

Holy Mackerel....

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 10:00 PM   #43
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

98 € a ticket for Paul McCartney in 2003. That's about as high as I would go, but at the time I thought it might be his last tour. Also, those were seats in the best category. It was totally worth it. But I'm glad that he charged less in 2004.
Old October 12 2009, 10:03 PM   #44
Michael Chris
Admiral

I didn't pay, but the most expensive ticket that I've ever used was about $1,500 off of eBay for Game 3 of the 2007 World Series in Denver. Horrible seats too!
Old October 12 2009, 10:30 PM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

That joke's gonna kipper me giggling all evening
Go fish pun thread...
I'm glad I could kelp out. But are you sure you can hake any more of it? Haven't we all haddock enough? I admit, though, it's better than sitting around downloading prawn off the 'net...