Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 12 2009, 03:00 PM   #16
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Re: Expensive tickets

I spent $150 on Sox tickets once. Was worth it. No this was not yesterdays game.

Honestly, your son is a little off for spending that much on wrestling.
Old October 12 2009, 03:25 PM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

My dad treated us to Legends Seats tickets at Yankee Stadium a couple of months ago. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. They were about 8 rows behind home plate. We even got all you can eat buffets as part of the package. I don't remember how much the tickets cost, but it was quite a bit.

But just to put this rumor to bed, not all tickets at the entire stadium are ridiculously expensive. Bleacher seats, which for obvious reasons are my favorite , cost about ten bucks. Most regular seats, probably about $20.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; October 12 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 03:28 PM   #18
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Dropped $125 each for two field level seats to see the Patriots this upcoming weekend.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 03:39 PM   #19
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

You stumbled upon my one weakness. I love going to concerts, sporting events, and so on. And I always try to get the best seats possible.

I've spent a lot over the years. Too much, but I'm fortunate enough to make a good living, and you can't take it with you.

I won't bore you lots of examples, but I'll tell you I spent $1000 a ticket for the USC/Texas Rose Bowl. While I was of course disappointed in the outcome, I can say I was present at one of the greatest college football games ever played.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I paid $215 for a pair of second-row tickets to see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds at the Chicago Theater. I'm reasonably certain that's the most I've paid to attend a single event.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 03:43 PM   #21
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

$120 for orchestra seats for Spamalot, National Theater in D.C.- and that was cheap. I was lucky to get that price.

My tickets for Wicked in NYC are about $150- not sure where I'll be sitting, but that was the cheapest available. Probably the nosebleed section!

For sports- $55 for a Nationals game. Pretty close to first base.

In college, I got to see a couple of Broncos and Nuggets games for free. The marching/pep bands were invited to play for them.
Old October 12 2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Probably the most expensive tickets I bought were $150/each tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John in concert together. Awesome concert!

Other than that, the tickets usually top out at around $100. Often less than that but the price become "notable" in my mind if exceeds $100. That wouldn't rule them out, but it has to be for something really good. Just recently got front row seats for Cirque du Soliel for just about $100, totally worth it!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 04:41 PM   #23
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Just recently got front row seats for Cirque du Soliel for just about $100, totally worth it!
Which show did you see?

When we go to CDS we always buy the Tapis Rouge tickets. The pre-party and intermission desserts are excellent.

My daughter and I are seeing Ovo in February. Those tickets were $250 each.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 04:56 PM   #24
nevermore
Admiral

Face value ~$175 for decent lower-level endzone tickets to a Ravens game. That was back in 2001; the same tickets are probably about $250 now.
Old October 12 2009, 05:07 PM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I can appreciate sporting events or concerts as social events. They're less about what you're seeing than who you're seeing it with. Thus I'd never bother with better-than-average seats. (Also wouldn't go for the dirt cheap option, though.)
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 05:37 PM   #26
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
We paid $385 (tickets and booking fees) for 2 tickets to the Twins/Yankees game tonight. Not the most I've paid, but for tickets that had a $30 face value, it was a lot.
While I was watching that, I wondered if you were there. To bad the Metrodome had to go out on such a sour note.

Question though - Will the Vikings be playing there next year or are they getting a new field too?

I think the most expensive ticket I've bought so far was for the Black Sabbath/Slayer/Megadeath New Year's Eve concert with two other big name bands (forget who though) at Bank One Ballpark about 10 years ago. Don't remember the exact cost.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 05:56 PM   #27
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Probably the most expensive tickets I bought were $150/each tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John in concert together. Awesome concert!
I missed out on their concert at Nationals Park this summer. My sister and I really wanted to go. And we could have gotten tickets. Just didn't get around to it.
Old October 12 2009, 06:15 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
Question though - Will the Vikings be playing there next year or are they getting a new field too?
They want a new stadium, yes. But they don't have one yet.

The Vikings (as was the case with the Twins) are getting screwed via the terms of their lease at the Dump. The team gets no money from luxury boxes and only a small percentage of concessions sales. The Vikings want to tear down the Dump and build a new stadium in its place (they would probably play at TCF Bank Stadium, new home of the Golden Gophers, during construction). But for now they have to stay where they are. Linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 06:17 PM   #29
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Just recently got front row seats for Cirque du Soliel for just about $100, totally worth it!
Which show did you see?

When we go to CDS we always buy the Tapis Rouge tickets. The pre-party and intermission desserts are excellent.

My daughter and I are seeing Ovo in February. Those tickets were $250 each.
We saw Alegria. The travelling show came through our town recently. I've never seen CDS before and was quite blownaway. Very impressive! Not sure how that show compares to others but we were very happy!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 06:24 PM   #30
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

My wife got two free courtside tickets for a Thunder game tonight from work. I think they're playing phoenix. It was something like a $400 value. I can't go, so she'll be taking her sister. Neither of us like sports, but her boss called her over the weekend and told her the vice president of Cox was pleased with her performance and had awarded her the tickets, so you can't pass that up!
Anyway, I don't know that I've spent over a hundred bucks for any kind of concert. I think I spent 80 bucks a pop on some Ozzfest tickets in 2004, but I don't consider that really expensive, because I got to see Black Sabbath, Slayer, Judas Priest and tons more for that price, so that was a good deal. I think I paid 60 bucks for Motley Crue tickets.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote