Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 12 2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley
The Romulan ship in Timescape...

At the end of the episode, when the energy transfer is stopped, the Romulan ship just kind of vanishes... and Data suggests that they must have returned to their own time continuum... But weren't the Romulans from the same time continuum as the Enterprise? Especially considering the Captain's Log about 2 minutes later clearly states that the "evacuation of the Romulan ship was a success, and we are now headed to the Neutral zone to return them home."

Clearly the ship must have been evacuated completely before the transfer beam was stopped and the Romulan ship disappeared... But why would the ship disappear?
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: The Romulan ship in Timescape...

^ Maybe the aliens had somehow infused themselves into all aspects of the ship. It's a good question.
Old October 12 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Canuck69
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Canuck69 Send a message via Yahoo to Canuck69

This is a great question and one I have thought about myself everytime I see this episode. I don't really have an answer though, maybe an oversight on the writers part? TPTB aren't always the greatest when it comes to continuity. I would love to hear the canon answer to this if there is one though!!!
Canuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Canuck69 wrote: View Post
This is a great question and one I have thought about myself everytime I see this episode. I don't really have an answer though, maybe an oversight on the writers part? TPTB aren't always the greatest when it comes to continuity. I would love to hear the canon answer to this if there is one though!!!
Can you take a wild guess who wrote this one?
Old October 13 2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Canuck69
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Canuck69 Send a message via Yahoo to Canuck69

Had to be Braga or Berman
Canuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Timo
Admiral

At the end of the episode, when the energy transfer is stopped, the Romulan ship just kind of vanishes... and Data suggests that they must have returned to their own time continuum...
To be sure, Data said that the aliens were gone, and then added that they must have returned to their own time continuum. Picard interjected with saying that the ship was gone, too, but Data need not have referring to that with his "their own time continuum" bit.

Actually, wouldn't it be a natural Romulan instinct to cloak if a spell on them was suddenly broken and they found themselves nose to nose with a Federation battleship, complete with explosions going off? That would explain the disappearance rather nicely...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

Timo wrote: View Post
At the end of the episode, when the energy transfer is stopped, the Romulan ship just kind of vanishes... and Data suggests that they must have returned to their own time continuum...
To be sure, Data said that the aliens were gone, and then added that they must have returned to their own time continuum. Picard interjected with saying that the ship was gone, too, but Data need not have referring to that with his "their own time continuum" bit.

Actually, wouldn't it be a natural Romulan instinct to cloak if a spell on them was suddenly broken and they found themselves nose to nose with a Federation battleship, complete with explosions going off? That would explain the disappearance rather nicely...

Timo Saloniemi
The only thing, they had Romulans on board already. The Romulans new what was going on just as much as the Enterprise crew save Geordi, Picard, Troi, and Data. And then they mentioned that the evacuation of the Romulan vessel was a success and they were en route to the neutral zone to bring them home.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
FinalFrontier
Lieutenant

Maybe it was just a mistake. There were several in that episode. For example, the energy transfer beam on the Enterprise was stated in the script as coming from the deflector. However the VFX shows the beam as originating from a random window on the side of the neck of the Enterprise.
FinalFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Kev
Ensign

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Canuck69 wrote: View Post
Can you take a wild guess who wrote this one?
Yes, I think that does, in part, answer the question.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote