Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 11 2009, 12:53 AM   #16
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Your least favorite TV romances & why?

Samaritan wrote: View Post
Buffy/Angel I hated Angel from the begining, this relationship was doomed from the start and it was like watching paint dry. I always thought Buffy/Spike had more energy.
I think Buffy had uniformly terrible taste in men. Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Riley, & Buffy/Spike were all terrible for different reasons. Buffy/Angel didn't work because while Angel was on Buffy he didn't have any real personality. He was just the hunky vampire for Buffy & Cordelia to drool over. Buffy & Riley just plain didn't have any chemistry (although I think that Riley is an underrated member of the Scooby gang). And while there was a very interesting, explosive chemistry between Buffy & Spike, the whole attempted rape at the end of Season 6 made it all too unseemly. Personally, I'm a Buffy/Xander 'shipper.

Another vote for Battlestar Galatica's "quadrangle of doom"-- Sam Anders/Starbuck/Apollo/Dee. Starbuck was a contemptible, selfish bitch who did nothing but jerk around all the men in her life. Apollo was an empty headed doormat. I don't see how any women were attracted to him. And I don't think any of us ever forgave Dee for ditching Billy.

I'm also not a big fan of these patriarch/matriarch romances like Bill Adama/Laura Roslin on Battlestar Galactica or Captain Janeway/Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager.

Thrall wrote: View Post
Tara/Willow: 1) Because Willow is straight, and no amount of retconning by Whedon will convince me other wise and

2)Because how the hell do you make two chicks making out boring.
I don't necessarily have a problem with making Willow a lesbian. However, I wish the show had given us an in-show way to reconcile that with Willow's obvious feelings for Xander & Oz in the earlier seasons.

I agree it's stunning how boring the Willow/Tara romance was. I did find myself intrigued by some of the Willow/Fred possibilities in "Orpheus." And I often felt that a Dawn/Tara romance would be very interesting. But Willow/Tara just totally falls flat.

Kirby wrote: View Post
Chakotay/Seven - Came from absolutely nowhere right at the end of the series, it was more of a distraction than anything else in the finale with them trying to put some sort of relevance on a relationship that the audience was not invested in at all.
I'm surprised I didn't think of this one. Actually, I'm glad I didn't think of it. That means this horrible idea is slowly fading from my memory. (Now, if only I could forget about the Kes/Neelix thing too.)

Rodney McKay/Jennifer Keller from Stargate Atlantis - I liked the Katie Brown/Rodney relationship better. There was more chemestry between them.
I didn't like Katie Brown. Whenever she was around, it made Rodney act like an idiot. Rodney is far less stupid when he's around Keller. (But then, I haven't seen Season 5 yet, so my exposure to this relationship is limited.)
Old October 11 2009, 01:47 AM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post

Er. Uh. Hm. Talia Winters/Susan Ivanova on B5. Not because they're both women, but Talia Winters was frankly always a rather obnoxious and annoying character, and paring her with probably the dullest human character wasn't a move I was that keen on. Well, it was short lived, hurrah.
Andrea Thompson made a good living playing obnoxious and annoying characters, she not a bad actress, she just written that way. Hate her on one of my fav shows "JAG."

The forbidden romance between Jack O'Neill and Samatha Carter, the slow build up was a bit interesting at first. But they had no where to go with it. Carter's go no where engagement to that cop was no better.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 03:17 AM   #18
Thrall
Commodore

I think Buffy had uniformly terrible taste in men. Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Riley, & Buffy/Spike were all terrible for different reasons. Buffy/Angel didn't work because while Angel was on Buffy he didn't have any real personality. He was just the hunky vampire for Buffy & Cordelia to drool over.
He was Tuxedo Mask. And that's all he was. When he got his own show he became Magic Batman.

Buffy & Riley just plain didn't have any chemistry (although I think that Riley is an underrated member of the Scooby gang).
I personally liked seeing her with a normal guy. Except he wasn't normal, because he was weirder then Angel or Spike.

And while there was a very interesting, explosive chemistry between Buffy & Spike, the whole attempted rape at the end of Season 6 made it all too unseemly. Personally, I'm a Buffy/Xander 'shipper.
Wonder Woman should not fuck The Joker. If a bunch of bored, middle aged women(and Joss Whedon) want a bad boy sex fantasy, then I suggest making your husbands dress up like a biker and quit taking it out on a perfectly good show. That's what I said then. That's what I say now.

Another vote for Battlestar Galatica's "quadrangle of doom"-- Sam Anders/Starbuck/Apollo/Dee. Starbuck was a contemptible, selfish bitch who did nothing but jerk around all the men in her life.
Seriously. Me and some friends used to get drunk and watch the show and the only way we could stand her is if we imagined her as a drunken hillbilly. Try it sometime. It's a blast.

Apollo was an empty headed doormat. I don't see how any women were attracted to him. And I don't think any of us ever forgave Dee for ditching Billy.
He started out Captain America. Then he became Captain Douchebag. When the Voice of Morality no longer has any sense of morality, then the character becomes pointless and meaningless.

I don't necessarily have a problem with making Willow a lesbian. However, I wish the show had given us an in-show way to reconcile that with Willow's obvious feelings for Xander & Oz in the earlier seasons.
One sentence. Once simple sentence could have saved him a world of grief. "I'm bi-sexual." But he HAD to have a gay character and he didn't care how or why. Xander would have been the better choice. It's not like he ever did anything interesting after season 3 anyway.

I agree it's stunning how boring the Willow/Tara romance was.
Because it didn't make any sense and was insulting to the audiences intelligence. Not the last time Whedon would do that.

I did find myself intrigued by some of the Willow/Fred possibilities in "Orpheus."
Yeah, and watch as the Wes/Fred fans stone you to death.

And I often felt that a Dawn/Tara romance would be very interesting.
Back off now, Roman Polanski.

Kirby wrote: View Post
Chakotay/Seven - Came from absolutely nowhere right at the end of the series, it was more of a distraction than anything else in the finale with them trying to put some sort of relevance on a relationship that the audience was not invested in at all.
It's because there was no relationship prior to the episode. There was no frame of reference for the audience. It was just BOOM there it is. And it was thrown in because they had no idea of how either character should end. And well, because would you really prefer her and Harry ending up together?
Old October 11 2009, 06:15 AM   #19
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Kitty Worrier wrote: View Post
It felt like the writers were trying to force something because the actor for 10 was younger. The character is still 1,000 years old and has tons of baggage. I just didn't buy it.
Exactly. The 12:01am January 1st / 11:58pm Dec 31st aspect was ridiculous enough without the colossal amount of baggage the Doctor's lugging around as well. Yet there he was, drooling over Rose like...well, an infatuated teenager. The entire thing was completely absurd.
What they did with 10 and Martha, with him not noticing, is what they should have done in season two.
Martha's character was (IMO, anyway) doomed from the start by having her pining over the Doctor like an adolescent. Her whining about the fact he was so hung up on Rose made me want to throttle her. I have no objection whatsoever to romance on Who but IMO it was handled very badly. An equal for the Doctor, I can believe. An adolescent and an adolescent-like person...not so much, and that's what we got.
Old October 11 2009, 06:52 AM   #20
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Zek/Moogie (Lameness that hurt any that either character had going for them...which wasn't much to begin with.)

Chakotay/Seven, a romance as flat as a pancake...made worse by it's series finale factor "SEVEN dies and Chuckles is never the same again!"

Ezri/Worf/Bashir (Ezri fucking broke the fucking Trill rules and should have that slug yanked from her and left to die...okay, that's harsh...)

Gun/Fred (why did Whedon push the tough guy/geeky girl angle...is he just a self-hating nerd? Or was it that didn't know what to do with Gun?)

Mulder/Scully, no one has the guts to say it, I guess. The series was reduced to 'shipper crapola...IT'S MOONLIGHTING WITH ALIENS...OF COURSE THEY'LL EVENTUALLY "DO IT". (Okay, I've learned to live with it...)

David Addison/Maddie Hayes, they "did it" and the show immediately turned to crap.

I have mixed feelings about Odo/Kira...him loving her, yes. Her loving him romantically...not sure it should've been.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 06:53 AM   #21
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

When Niles and Daphne finally hooked up is when, for me, Frasier jumped the shark. It legitimized Niles' hilariously creepy obsession with her and the show really lost something, IMO.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 07:41 AM   #22
Jono
Rear Admiral

Jack and Kate (LOST) - Season 1 I was for it but since I just can't stand the idea they might end up together. I don't know why Jack still go after her given how poorly she treats him.

Chatokay and Seven (VOY) - Seemed so out of left field. I could see her easier with Kim, the Doctor and even Tuvok before Chatokay.

Julian and Ezri(DS9) - I think that was a mistake in the end and I find it hard to believe that Julian is after Ezri instead of the ghost of Jadzia.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 08:57 AM   #23
payndz201
Commodore

All of Phoebe's relationships after Cole on Charmed (with the possible exception of Billy Zane, because A: he was only there for a few episodes and didn't have time to get annoying, and B: he was Billy fucking Zane) were awful, because she invariably went for witless pretty-boy douchebags. Mind you, by that stage she'd become a vapid, self-obsessed harpy, so they were on her level.

Also, nthing the Starbuck hate. It wasn't enough that she'd already screwed up her own life, she had to ruin everyone else's relationships as well.
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 05:09 PM   #24
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

Bellatrix wrote: View Post
Martha's character was (IMO, anyway) doomed from the start by having her pining over the Doctor like an adolescent. Her whining about the fact he was so hung up on Rose made me want to throttle her. I have no objection whatsoever to romance on Who but IMO it was handled very badly. An equal for the Doctor, I can believe. An adolescent and an adolescent-like person...not so much, and that's what we got.
Granted how they handled/wrote Martha was crap. What I meant, was that Rose should have had a thing for Ten, and Ten shouldn't have noticed, period. Not the, didn't notice because he's pining over a teenager (Which I hated).

In a way, I like season four the best, because there was none of the romantic stuff. I just needed a break from it (though the River stuff in the library two parter was great).
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 01:56 AM   #25
LeahBoBo
Commander

Location: Dancing the Viennese Waltz on moonbeams with Legolas

Thrall wrote: View Post
I think Buffy had uniformly terrible taste in men. Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Riley, & Buffy/Spike were all terrible for different reasons. Buffy/Angel didn't work because while Angel was on Buffy he didn't have any real personality. He was just the hunky vampire for Buffy & Cordelia to drool over.
Okay, I have to disagree with this because I always liked Buffy and Angel together, and I would have liked to have seen them revisited when Buffy became more of an adult and trusted her own judgment.

Buffy & Riley just plain didn't have any chemistry (although I think that Riley is an underrated member of the Scooby gang).
I personally liked seeing her with a normal guy. Except he wasn't normal, because he was weirder then Angel or Spike.
I really hated Buffy & Riley. There was only one other Buffy pairing I hated more...

Wonder Woman should not fuck The Joker. If a bunch of bored, middle aged women(and Joss Whedon) want a bad boy sex fantasy, then I suggest making your husbands dress up like a biker and quit taking it out on a perfectly good show. That's what I said then. That's what I say now.
Damn skippy. I REALLY HATED Buffy and Spike. That was the deal breaker for me and I actually dumped the show.

Willow and Tara. That always felt gimmicky to me.

Darla and Angel. (Where's a vomit smilie when you need one?)
LeahBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 12:17 PM   #26
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
Gun/Fred (why did Whedon push the tough guy/geeky girl angle...is he just a self-hating nerd? Or was it that didn't know what to do with Gun?)
I'm not a big Gunn/Fred fan. For one thing, I think Fred & Wesley were just destined for each other and I hate that Gunn got in the way of that. Also, I think Gunn belonged with a woman that had more of an edge to her. I would have been more willing to believe Gunn/Cordelia. (And just as I never bought Buffy/Angel until "I Will Remember You," I didn't really buy Angel/Cordelia until "You're Welcome.")
Old October 13 2009, 01:52 PM   #27
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Chakotay/7. Came from nowhere. *barf smiley*

Gwen and Owen on Torchwood wasn't really a romance, IMO. It was just shagging. As wrong as it was (poor Rhys!), I always thought it was more Gwen's way of dealing with all the weirdness of working with Torchwood. Thank God the affair didn't last.

Never bought Benton and Corday on ER.
Old October 13 2009, 06:05 PM   #28
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Kira's Mummy wrote: View Post
Chakotay/7. Came from nowhere. *barf smiley*
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that one.

With good reason.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 06:12 PM   #29
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I think it's easier for me to identify the bad relationships than the truly great ones:

Gunn/Fred - Angel
Lee/Dualla - BSG
Tigh/Caprica Six - BSG
Buffy/Riley - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Rory/Logan - Gilmore Girls
Lorelei/Christopher - Gilmore Girls
Kate/Sawyer - Lost
Juliet/Sawyer - Lost
Worf/Troi - TNG
Worf/Ezri - DS9
Chakotay/Seven - VOY
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2009, 08:26 PM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Clark/Lana for the win.

Although having Clark interested in her, and her interested in him, satisfies comic contnuity the way Kreuk GOD was so damn vapid! She spoke like she had just done a shooter of vodka and Valium with a chaser of Xanax. And after about the millionth time she got all hollier-than-thou and judgmental Clark should've super-sped away from her! But he was just so damn obsessed with her! GOD! And why?! She was a bitch, self-centered and, frankly, not all that great looking compared to other girls around him and in his life.

Next goes to House and Cameron, it was just icky.

Oh, and the cherry on top is going to go to Joey and Rachel on Friends. I mean it just reeked of desperation that said, "What next couple can we put together? How about one that makes no fucking sense?!