Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2009, 10:11 PM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Replacing Smallville...

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I do recall reading that there was some belief put to Smallville may have weakened the film because of people going by the same reason Berman had TNG cancelled after season seven: why would people go see it if they can watch it from home for free?
What???? Ending TNG was Paramount's decision because it got costlier to produce each season. Ending one show and starting another let them make new, more profitable deals, and a new cast meant smaller salaries. Actors get raises every season, so the longer a show stays on, the costlier it gets. That's why very few shows go beyond seven seasons, and those that do almost always have heavy cast turnaround (including Smallville, which has only two original cast members remaining).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 10:41 PM   #47
nx1701g
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I do recall reading that there was some belief put to Smallville may have weakened the film because of people going by the same reason Berman had TNG cancelled after season seven: why would people go see it if they can watch it from home for free?
What???? Ending TNG was Paramount's decision because it got costlier to produce each season. Ending one show and starting another let them make new, more profitable deals, and a new cast meant smaller salaries. Actors get raises every season, so the longer a show stays on, the costlier it gets. That's why very few shows go beyond seven seasons, and those that do almost always have heavy cast turnaround (including Smallville, which has only two original cast members remaining).
I remember where I heard it. It was on that Behind the Scenes program E! used to way back when they first started. I just found the video (being a packrat is insane) and Berman says one of the reasons that TNG ended was they wanted to make it into a movie property and they were worried that being able to watch it on television would hurt ticket sales. It's during a scene where they show a behind the scenes clip from Lessons.
Old October 10 2009, 11:19 PM   #48
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Nothing, especially if it will be like Smallvile - always dancing on the edges of the myth, but never fulfilling the fans dreams.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 11:21 PM   #49
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

The end of TNG was probably a combination of a bunch of things, creative and financial, with several people involved in the decision.
Old October 10 2009, 11:50 PM   #50
Christopher
Writer

I remember where I heard it. It was on that Behind the Scenes program E! used to way back when they first started. I just found the video (being a packrat is insane) and Berman says one of the reasons that TNG ended was they wanted to make it into a movie property and they were worried that being able to watch it on television would hurt ticket sales.
A, that was just one of the considerations that went into the decision. And B, it wasn't just Berman's decision, it was the decision of the studio executives he worked for. I get sick of people online assuming that every single thing they don't like about Star Trek is the fault of either Berman or Braga or both rather than actually trying to get their facts straight.

Old October 11 2009, 12:35 AM   #51
nx1701g
Admiral

I remember where I heard it. It was on that Behind the Scenes program E! used to way back when they first started. I just found the video (being a packrat is insane) and Berman says one of the reasons that TNG ended was they wanted to make it into a movie property and they were worried that being able to watch it on television would hurt ticket sales.
A, that was just one of the considerations that went into the decision. And B, it wasn't just Berman's decision, it was the decision of the studio executives he worked for. I get sick of people online assuming that every single thing they don't like about Star Trek is the fault of either Berman or Braga or both rather than actually trying to get their facts straight.
You make an assumption about me: I don't blame Berman or Braga for anything that happened with Trek unlike many people first off. I also never say that was the only reason it was cancelled - if you read what I put he said one of the reasons - not the only one.

I did, however, just reread my original post which does make it sound like I pinned it entirely on Berman to which I apologize.
Old October 11 2009, 03:35 AM   #52
Red Ranger
Admiral

Red Rum wrote: View Post
I've always thought adapting the Manhunter DC Comics character from the 1970s, written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by a then little-known Walt Simonson would be cool. He was one of the first Silver Age characters that killed, predating Wolverine by a few years.
Nothing cool about that.

But it could be fun if it's set during World War II, like the first series of Wonder Woman TV-movies back in the '70s.
Actually that was the entire first season of the weekly hourlong series. The only movie was the pilot, unless you count the dreadful Cathy Lee Crosby pilot movie in 1974 (which wasn't a WWII period piece).
To your first point: Realistically, I'm sure that some heroes would kill if they existed in the real world. And if you're familiar with the Manhunter series I spoke of, you'd see why it was a necessary evil for his character -- as well as odd, since many of the people he killed were his clones.

As for Wonder Woman, you're right about the first season set in WWII. I do remember that first awful Wonder Woman flick with Cathy Lee Crosby -- Ricardo Montalban was the villain, too. I dug the WWII milieu for Wonder Woman, and thought they were a bit stronger than the modern-day eps.

Red Rum!

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 03:40 AM   #53
nx1701g
Admiral

I wouldn't mind a spinoff focusing on the Martian Manhunter.
Old October 11 2009, 06:34 AM   #54
Starfleet Engineer
Vice Admiral

A second vote for a Justin Hartley Green Arrow series.
Starfleet Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 03:50 PM   #55
Christopher
Writer

I wouldn't mind a spinoff focusing on the Martian Manhunter.
Yeah. Phil Morris deserves his own series.

Old October 11 2009, 10:48 PM   #56
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't mind a series where Phil Morris as Martian Manhunter (speaking of which he's been absent this season so far) plays mentor to a young Justice League. The Justice League would be comprised of Chloe (Watchtower), Green Arrow, Black Canary, Flash (Bart Allen who is revealed to be a young Bary Allen), Cyborg (Victor Stone), and Wonder Woman (who is introduced in the two hour pilot and is convinced by Olliver to join the League as a way to learn more about the nature of mansworld). They are funded primarily by Queen Industires but also from another mysterious benficator who is revealed at the season one finale as being Snapper Carr.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote