TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 10 2009, 02:03 AM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: NBC cancels Southland

Cancellation. It's not just for SF/F shows anymore!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 03:39 AM   #17
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

the_constable wrote: View Post
They renew the series, create a new show to save money but it also takes away the time slot for the renewed series, and then cancel the renewed series before it starts...

Seriously, WTF?!?
That's Fox!

Oh wait...

I'm glad I never watched the show because this is too funny!
Old October 10 2009, 04:08 AM   #18
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

There are more old people watching TV than young people
Young people are watching TV but in nontraditional ways that are hard to monetize. Old coots aren't changing their habits, but they are moving out of the 18-49 age group advertisers care about reaching.

This is a business problem that all the networks are going to have to figure out how to solve. NBC and CW, you're up to bat first. Then ABC and FOX. CBS bats last. But it's everyone's problem. The irony is that NBC and CW could benefit from being forced to confront this problem early, and CBS could end up regretting their complacency and inaction.
NBC should go after the older audeince
Oooooh no. Not as long as advertisers cling to their archaic notion that people over 49 are worthless to reach because their brand loyalties are set in stone. (They are most certainly NOT.) A 49 year old Baby Boomer is not the same sort of person as a 49 year old who was born during the Depression, and does not have any more brand loyalty than any of us do, but just try to tell advertisers that.

What is wrong with advertisers? They think all people over 49 are perpetual Ma Joads? As long as they are ruled by their misperceptions, the networks are forced to warp their TV lineups to suit.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:25 AM   #19
Dude
Vice Admiral

Bottom line: How does this affect Chuck?

That's all I care about...

TNZ adaptation: "For every opinion, there is a monstrous bastard who has a different opinion."
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:45 AM   #20
Jax
Admiral

DJP691 wrote: View Post
Bottom line: How does this affect Chuck?

That's all I care about...
Chuck is dead before it returns IMO. A show which debuts its season so far into the Telly season well rarely works in recent time.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 06:21 AM   #21
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

There are talks that Chuck is coming back in late October or early November. The execs seem happy with it.
Old October 10 2009, 07:48 AM   #22
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Chuck starts after Heroes finishes.

As for shows not workin' out in the midseason, someone better tell the producers of 24 that they've been on borrowed time for...what? the last three seasons (not to mention the year gap)?
Old October 10 2009, 08:15 AM   #23
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Well, actually....

Exclusive: NBC may move up 'Chuck' launch
Old October 10 2009, 08:56 AM   #24
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
NBC pulled a Fox!
Tru dat. All the Southland fans have the sympathy of this Tru Calling fan.

Frontier wrote: View Post
Chris Meloni of Law & Order SVU was on MSNBC today, along with a writer of some note, forget his name, and everyone as much as they may like Leno, is waiting with baited breath and hope for Leno to fail, because his idiotic-timed show is not only killing 5 good potential dramas a week, but it's harming the dramas that used to be on at 10 and are now forced into 9, as they can't be as adult as they used to be at the earlier time.
It seems like a lot of actors are coming out on this issue. Richard Belzer mentioned it during his interview on Tavis Smiley this week. Tina Fey touched upon it briefly in her Emmy acceptance speech when 30 Rock won Best Comedy.

I think it's weird that everyone is treating it as such a tragedy that NBC has occupied its 10pm timeslots with The Jay Leno Show. In the meantime, FOX, the CW, UPN, & the WB never had any 10pm programming to begin with, yet no one is talking about that.
Old October 10 2009, 06:01 PM   #25
23skidoo
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

I think it's weird that everyone is treating it as such a tragedy that NBC has occupied its 10pm timeslots with The Jay Leno Show. In the meantime, FOX, the CW, UPN, & the WB never had any 10pm programming to begin with, yet no one is talking about that.
Yes but NBC did and that's what matters. 10 PM have us shows like Hill Street Blues. No one cares (in this debate) what the other networks do or have done. The fact remains NBC had a key timeslot, one that has produced great TV art over years, and they've squandared it on Tonight Show Lite.

The end result of this is studios and producers are going to start abandoning NBC when they come up with new programming. Advantage: the other networks, some of whom might even end up with the same sort of 10 p.m. goldmine that NBC used to have.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 06:27 PM   #26
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
The end result of this is studios and producers are going to start abandoning NBC when they come up with new programming. Advantage: the other networks, some of whom might even end up with the same sort of 10 p.m. goldmine that NBC used to have.

Alex
I think that is already happening, everyone would much rather try ABC or CBS, even Fox where they screw you over because they have more viewers. I think NBC is already where ideas go to die because the other networks rejected the ideas. it would explain why EVERY show on NBC is trash.
Old October 10 2009, 07:36 PM   #27
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
... In the meantime, FOX, the CW, UPN, & the WB never had any 10pm programming to begin with, yet no one is talking about that.
Out of your four examples, two don't exist anymore (UPN & the WB merged to form the CW, remember?).

Leavin' just FOX and the CW...FOX started out as a light network, that, back when it first hit, I couldn't even get 'cause I lived too far from D/FW!

And the CW had to be created from two other light networks - I still remember when I was in college and could watch the WB programmin' durin' the week and UPN programmin' on weekends, 'cause that's how the one channel both networks used scheduled it.

NBC has alwasy just been NBC and its days as a network go back longer than any of us do!
Old October 10 2009, 08:35 PM   #28
nx1701g
Admiral

TharpDevilport wrote: View Post
Leno's ratings are low and have been going down. They should shove Leno out of the way.
That's the thing though: there are certain days where Leno does kinda well (above 6.0) then there are days he does poorly (below 5.0).

I noticed he does well on Mondays
Old October 10 2009, 08:39 PM   #29
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
And possibly with additional episodes.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 12:28 AM   #30
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
TharpDevilport wrote: View Post
Leno's ratings are low and have been going down. They should shove Leno out of the way.
That's the thing though: there are certain days where Leno does kinda well (above 6.0) then there are days he does poorly (below 5.0).

I noticed he does well on Mondays
Maybe he should be a once a week show, and not five fucking days a week.

I haven't noticed much changes with SVU, there are still some scenes that should be seen after 10 p.m.

I was just thinking the other day, I bet people who work on new shows hate hearing that NBC picked them up.
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote