Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier
9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+) 15 8.72%
8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 55 31.98%
7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 54 31.40%
6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 16 9.30%
5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average) 10 5.81%
4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 10 5.81%
3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 6 3.49%
2 Chevrons – Dark Ages 3 1.74%
1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here 1 0.58%
Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F) 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8 2009, 10:56 AM   #466
Australis
Writer

Re: SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
Rush. Why did they choose the Brit guy for the role? Because he's going to be an unpleasant bastard. Maybe even treacherous.
Well, for one, he's Scottish. And for two, they got who they thought was the best actor for the role. I'm sure the fact that he's a name actor had some sway as well.
Uhhh, yes, that's what I said. Brit. British. Great Britain..

It's a bit of a 'thing' - the bad hat is played by a Brit/French/etc actor. More 'believable' or something.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old October 8 2009, 12:41 PM   #467
Jono
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post
The outer door's mechanism was broken... it was probably trying to close, but couldn't
That's the joy of the airlock system, though; one doesn't open until the other IS closed, not just TRYING to close. If the inner door can't close, the outer door won't start to open.

And here's the fun question to go with that: WHY is the door stuck halfway open/closed? Why is the shuttle door open as well? If this thing was unmanned, and no one came aboard, both of those doors should be shut, as that's how you would have sent it off. Someone's been here...
On the shuttle it seemed the only door control was on the inside of the shuttle. If that closes when your out and about on the ship you can't get back into the shuttle...which does seem insane. As for the other door, no idea why it won't always be closed unless someone is using it.

Can't remember it exactly put did the door just need someone to press a button? If so they could have used a Kino and run it into the panel and close the door that way. Then in the future they can just use that kino to open the door again.
Old October 8 2009, 01:49 PM   #468
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Rush. Why did they choose the Brit guy for the role?
Well, for one, he's Scottish.
*looks at Google Maps*

Yep, Scotland is still part of Great Britain. Got worried there!
Old October 8 2009, 07:21 PM   #469
Cky
Captain

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Rush. Why did they choose the Brit guy for the role?
Well, for one, he's Scottish.
*looks at Google Maps*

Yep, Scotland is still part of Great Britain. Got worried there!
Oh yes, it's still up there. People usually forget about Wales rather than Scotland.

I finally watched SG:U this week, and I thought it was amazing. I went right off SG1 during season 6 or something, and I hated Atlantis, and when I saw the trailer for this, it raised an eyebrow or two.

I loved it. It left me wanting more SG:U, and I'm confident I'll be watching the whole series. I love Rush, mainly because he has his own agendas for being on Destany.

Did anyone else notice, the senators daughter (forgot her name), has the most perfect nose ever?
Old October 8 2009, 08:54 PM   #470
broberfett
Vice Admiral

Rush. Why did they choose the Brit guy for the role? Because he's going to be an unpleasant bastard. Maybe even treacherous.
Well, for one, he's Scottish. And for two, they got who they thought was the best actor for the role. I'm sure the fact that he's a name actor had some sway as well.
Uhhh, yes, that's what I said. Brit. British. Great Britain..

It's a bit of a 'thing' - the bad hat is played by a Brit/French/etc actor. More 'believable' or something.
They just want a good actor that can speak well. British guys play the good guys all the time too.
Old October 9 2009, 06:00 AM   #471
FKnight
Commander

Super Ancient/Alteran, soon-to-be-ascended beings.

Even backward 20th century human submarine designers know that a DSRV attached to a submarine, with both the submarine door and the DSRV door open, can lose structural integrity, including when the submarine door is stuck open, and thus no "safety mechanism" to only allow the DSRV door to close when someone is in it would EVER be entertained -- at least not by backward non-soon-to-be-ascended 20th century submarine designers.

And hell, the Titanic had closeable transverse bulkheads (albeit, not designed very well, obviously), yet the Ancients figured they weren't necessary.

Regardless of anything said, I still think the design of the Destiny, with respect to keeping air inside, is complete ass.

Any safety mechanism on an airlock would keep a door closed, not open.
Old October 9 2009, 10:48 AM   #472
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Does anyone think Carlyle may not be in it forever? I wondered if he's like doing a one season thing to get the show going, or something. I know many film actors make the move to TV now, but just wondered if he'd really do 5 - 10 seasons maybe.
Old October 9 2009, 05:57 PM   #473
Harvey
Admiral

The show will have to last more than 1 or 2 seasons before we start asking those questions. But Carlyle's career has been in a relative decline over the past five or ten years with flops (Eragon) and television movies (24: Redemption). This is a role with top billing and a steady paycheck that has earned him some notices by critics. I expect he'll ride it out until he gets bored.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 9 2009, 07:23 PM   #474
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Does anyone think Carlyle may not be in it forever? I wondered if he's like doing a one season thing to get the show going, or something. I know many film actors make the move to TV now, but just wondered if he'd really do 5 - 10 seasons maybe.
It seems many film stars are turning to television. Kiefer Sutherland springs to mind and he's been on 24 for like 8 years.
Old October 10 2009, 03:32 AM   #475
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Well, took a while to get through this thread, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I enjoyed the original movie way back when, and when I heard there was going to be a series with MacGyver of all people as the lead I was intrigued, but after a few episodes it didn't really grab me. Never even tried Atlantis, but for some reason the buzz for this caught my attention, and it was free on iTunes, so onto the iPod it went.

It's certainly right out of the SG universe, but different enough that I may watch a few more eps. As a nuBSG fan, I certainly appreciated the darker tone and the comment I read earlier about calling it Battlestar Voyager seems right on. Voyager betrayed it's premise way too soon, and as much as I loved BSG I can admit it didn't have the mass appeal to last very long. If they keep this on for long, I'd definitely like to seem them avoid finding "lost human colonies" way out there, and maybe even (like someone else said), come to the conclusion that they'll never get home and just start figuring out how to live.
Old October 10 2009, 12:53 PM   #476
cultcross
Say my name...

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Klaitu wrote: View Post
Also sort of odd that you'd run a life support system on an uninhabited ship for millenia, especially considering you've got "incoming gate turn-stuff-on" technology.

I thought the same thing - In fact, assuming the 'Anceints' never gated to the ship, I was wondering why anything BUT THE ENGINES (which seem to be the ONLY thing working) would be in bad shape.
The technology to 'turn things on when the gate activates' was seen on Atlantis, a city ship built hundreds of thousands of years later. This is ancient Ancient tech. There will be things they don't have yet. For example, there have been no 'Ancient gene' security lockouts show up yet.
Besides, there are hints that they're not the first ones to make it to Destiny, so odds are the systems were left running at full by whoever the last lot were, who probably got the ship involved i the battle that caused the hull damage.

If the ship was in fact hermetically seealed, there would be no real decay internally.
Clearly, it's not.

Also sorry, but this strikes me as more of a Stargate: Voyager with an annoying 'Wesley' type teen character thrown in. Also, please give me a break in that the 'wiz kid's' contribution to make the thing work was "Use the 'Earth' symbol as the 9th cheveron.
Actually, the whizz kid solved an Ancient mathematical problem to make it work. the 'ninth chevron is Earth' thing was just a spur of the moment idea.

The person whose entire contribution to the project was 'the last symbol is Earth' was actually Daniel Jackson in the movie Stargate. That movie establishes that the only thing they hadn't done yet was pick Earth as the 7th symbol. Rather than just try 39 times with the available options, they had to call in a genius.

Also, it's a strech that they could connect to the ship in the first place since even in the first Stargate series, the problem was that the planets had moved so that the 'Constellation' symbols (aka the 'addresses' changed, and they were spending MONTHS using a mainframe computer to calculate teh correct addresses); yet with an extremely ancient address, they can suddenly connect to a small (when compared to a planet) ship travelling at FTL speeds; talk about major 'plot device' needed just to swallow all this.
We don't know what the Ancient maths problem was; it could have been just this - on a moving ship, that sort of calculation would be necessary to connect, the Ancients would have known that.

Also, once they're on the ship, people just want to try and 'dial Earth'? Hello, you just came from a planet where the core was turned into a power source to power a gate to get to the ship, yet they somehow think the ship would have enough power to dial back? If that were the case, do you think the 'Anceints' would have had to go through all the things they did to set that gate up in the first place? (Sorry, I like characters who are suppossedly 'the best and brightest' to ACT like it sometimes).
You don't think you might think 'lets try it' in that situation? However rationally you could argue against it? Your face would be pretty red if it was possible and you didn't try. A bit like when line forms outside a door that's actually unlocked, just no-ones tried it.

[quote is the Stargate so commonplace to the U.S. military brass that they say, "Sure, bring your daughter along too..." [/quote]

His daughter is also a member of his staff. The pilot made that clear.