RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,123
Posts: 5,401,182
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 599
Newest member: rachaela3

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 10 2009, 04:41 AM   #1
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Chicago, IL
Electronic music in star trek

What is the deal with star trek and its love of pre-electronic music? All references to music in star trek that I am familiar with completely ignore electronic music. It is always Riker and his trombone, or Picard and his tin whistle (Ressikan flute) or some other pre-electronic instrument. Why is it that music and musical instruments do not evolve with the rest of society?

I want to see some Romulan synthesizers, or some Klingon drum machines. Maybe even some Bajoran vocoders. Is anyone else with me?
__________________
To boldly go where no black man has gone before.

Change we can believe in!!!
SpaceBrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 04:50 AM   #2
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Electronic music in star trek

A great question!


Why is it, that its only jazz and classical music? Is Rock and or Roll not good enough for Star Trek? No Led Zeppelin? No Heavy Metal? No African music? Just hi-falunent American music?
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:07 AM   #3
mysticgeek
Lieutenant
 
mysticgeek's Avatar
 
Location: MN
View mysticgeek's Twitter Profile
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Or how about Rock and Metal? I suppose it is because all the treksters are uptight and snotty jerks who think only classical and jazz is appropriate for the federation.

Yo! I wish they had the Gangsta Rap! How 'bout some Trek Pimp'n and Slapp'n them ho's!!
mysticgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:09 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Talking of electronic music, I think Kraftwerk should score the next Trek film.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:12 AM   #5
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Yeah maybe they could blow up another major planet to the tune of Europe Endless!
__________________
To boldly go where no black man has gone before.

Change we can believe in!!!
SpaceBrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Electronic music in star trek

mysticgeek wrote: View Post
Yo! I wish they had the Gangsta Rap! How 'bout some Trek Pimp'n and Slapp'n them ho's!!
U-S-S Enterprise, gettin p-u-s-s-y tonight.
__________________
"What?" - { Emilia }
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:14 AM   #7
mysticgeek
Lieutenant
 
mysticgeek's Avatar
 
Location: MN
View mysticgeek's Twitter Profile
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Actually speaking of Metal ... there is a band called Stovokor who dress as Klingons and play metal ... I remember seeing them in one of the Trekkies movies... hey they are famous! They have a MySpace page!
http://www.myspace.com/stovokor
mysticgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:15 AM   #8
mysticgeek
Lieutenant
 
mysticgeek's Avatar
 
Location: MN
View mysticgeek's Twitter Profile
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Hurt-imer Jitty wrote: View Post
mysticgeek wrote: View Post
Yo! I wish they had the Gangsta Rap! How 'bout some Trek Pimp'n and Slapp'n them ho's!!
U-S-S Enterprise, gettin p-u-s-s-y tonight.
Wow. I don't know what to say
mysticgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:19 AM   #9
SpaceBrotha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Hurt-imer Jitty wrote: View Post
mysticgeek wrote: View Post
Yo! I wish they had the Gangsta Rap! How 'bout some Trek Pimp'n and Slapp'n them ho's!!
U-S-S Enterprise, gettin p-u-s-s-y tonight.
That was dope yo!
__________________
To boldly go where no black man has gone before.

Change we can believe in!!!
SpaceBrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 07:36 AM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Don't forget the DS9 holo-charactor Vic Fontane, swing music and the big band sound.

The space hippie did 1960's electronic, I'm not sure what Uhura's singing was called.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Well, the problem with doing pop music is it dates fast and ties your series to a certain era. How many different forms of pop music emerged in the last century? Which ones will still be big in the 23rd century? Will they have been replaced by different forms of pop?

I think the last is most likely. We'd see new pop, new instruments and wholly new ways of looking at music and it's sort of impossible to try and predict how.

Classical music, however, well, it's been with us for centuries. It's not unreasonable to assume it'll still be with us a few centuries from now. It's basically the safest bet for any future society, particularly as the use of classical music also won't date your show.

I would have liked more modern and experimental classical music on the series (in another thread, I observed I really liked the touch of Philip Glass in BSG), but you could argue that's liable to pretty much the same problem as pop music: What if any of it will stand the test of centuries like the rest of the repetoire has done?

Oh, and electronic music is sort of a sci-fi cliche, and we don't even know how many of those early electronic instruments will still be used centuries from now - maybe they'll have been replaced with more complicated machines or something.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 01:23 PM   #12
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Electronic music in star trek

Kegg wrote: View Post
Well, the problem with doing pop music is it dates fast and ties your series to a certain era. How many different forms of pop music emerged in the last century? Which ones will still be big in the 23rd century? Will they have been replaced by different forms of pop?

I think the last is most likely. We'd see new pop, new instruments and wholly new ways of looking at music and it's sort of impossible to try and predict how.

Classical music, however, well, it's been with us for centuries. It's not unreasonable to assume it'll still be with us a few centuries from now. It's basically the safest bet for any future society, particularly as the use of classical music also won't date your show.

I would have liked more modern and experimental classical music on the series (in another thread, I observed I really liked the touch of Philip Glass in BSG), but you could argue that's liable to pretty much the same problem as pop music: What if any of it will stand the test of centuries like the rest of the repetoire has done?

Oh, and electronic music is sort of a sci-fi cliche, and we don't even know how many of those early electronic instruments will still be used centuries from now - maybe they'll have been replaced with more complicated machines or something.
Let em clear the air with an appt qoute from one of my musical heroes!

"I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago. And it's formula music, the same as top forty music is formula music. In order to have a piece be classical, it has to conform to academic standards that were the current norms of that day and age ... I think that people are entitled to be amused, and entertained. If they see deviations from this classical norm, it's probably good for their mental health. "
-Frank Zappa.

So go wit classical music because it stands the test of time? Give me a break, its stand the test of "OUR" time, besides like Frank said, its do different from pop. So if classical and jazz are the only two human musics really played in Star Trek, I guess what that should tell us is all the music in the show was an attempt to please the social class of people in "OUR" society that have the power and money, just like the dead kings and queens of past historical periods! Whose to say 300 years in the future Death Metal doesn't mutate to another form of music, and like jazz it becomes accepted into the main stream, so like today, stuffed shirts and elitist !@#$% can sit around on their fat white asses sipping overpriced booze feeling like their superior and sophisticated by looking like they know good music!

“If classical music is the state of the art, then the arts are in a sad state”
-Frank Zappa.
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Electronic music in star trek

jazzstick wrote: View Post
"I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago.
There are actually living classical composers so this is an incorrect assumption.

Give me a break, its stand the test of "OUR" time, besides like Frank said, its do different from pop.
Depends on the piece. The romantic repetoire has been around for over a hundred years, and baroque's even older. We don't know if anyone will listen to Frank Zappa a hundred years after his death, but we do know people listened to Mozart in a hundred years after his death. So projecting classical music into the future is just more logical.

I think it'd be fairer to say pop is no different from folk music and music hall jingles (item: who listens to the music hall hits of the late 1800s anymore?), but anyway.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 02:15 PM   #14
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Electronic music in star trek

[QUOTE=Kegg;3475934]
jazzstick wrote: View Post
"I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago.
There are actually living classical composers so this is an incorrect assumption.

Give me a break, its stand the test of "OUR" time, besides like Frank said, its do different from pop.
Depends on the piece. The romantic repetoire has been around for over a hundred years, and baroque's even older. We don't know if anyone will listen to Frank Zappa a hundred years after his death, but we do know people listened to Mozart in a hundred years after his death. So projecting classical music into the future is just more logical.

I think it'd be fairer to say pop is no different from folk music and music hall jingles (item: who listens to the music hall hits of the late 1800s anymore?), but anyway.

so like today, stuffed shirts and elitist !@#$% can sit around on their fat white asses sipping overpriced booze feeling like their superior and sophisticated by looking like they know good music!
Hey!

I don't drink booze.

The point about jathatQUOTE]

Sure! There are people composing classical music today, but you can sure, untill they are dead, main stream society won't give two good flying !@#$% about them or their music! That's not a assumption, thats a fact! Again you "assume" that because classical music has been in "OUR" society that it will endure into the future, when you really have no basis for this fact! It could be polka or gangsta rap!(God forbid!) for all we know! Today, classical music is a weakening musical institution that our social "betters" are supporting and keeping alive to help propagate thier own culture and superiority. If classical music is around in the future then we can also assume that the bloated, corrupt, white elitist culture of the 19th, 20th and 21st centry would still be around controling things and keeping the other 90% of the population in check!

GOD YOU MAKE ME SICK!

Oh, and I don't beleive you when you say you don't drink!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 02:24 PM   #15
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: Electronic music in star trek

This is a good thread topic. just last week i started a topic in FUTURE OF TREK asking who they would like to compose season 6 Trek series music for the episodes.

Classical music for character development of a character playing an instrument on-camera doesn't date the show i agree. i would like to see a character program a computer to auto-compose a song. We already have that technology.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.