TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2009, 01:40 AM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Replacing Smallville...

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a Justin Hartley Green Arrow series, I can see the upcoming episode featuring Speedy (Mia) setting up a spin off. .
Unless the proposed SUPERMAX movie gets out of development hell, in which case Green Arrow would be off-limits to the CW . . .

Then again, with a new regime in charge of DC Entertainment, maybe the old rules no longer apply.

(I still can't see them ever allowing Bruce on SMALLVILLE, though. The BATMAN movies are too much of a golden goose to risk hurting them.)
Old October 10 2009, 04:06 AM   #32
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
(I still can't see them ever allowing Bruce on SMALLVILLE, though. The BATMAN movies are too much of a golden goose to risk hurting them.)
I just don't understand the logic. I mean, I get how they may not want a live-action Batman series that might retread similar ground the current films are covering.

But, how would one appearance on Smallville really hurt the Nolan film series? I don't see how that would "hurt the brand" anymore than the current Batman cartoon or the direct-to-DVD animated features would.
Old October 10 2009, 05:04 AM   #33
Aragorn
Admiral

Guilt by association?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:36 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Christopher's suggestion of Tales of Asgard (Marvel is doing a animated series with a young Thor btw Chris in 2011 called Thor: Tales of Asgard) reminds me of Young Hercules starring Ryan Gosling.
That wasn't me. I have next to no interest in Thor. That was an earlier poster.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 05:49 AM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
I just don't understand the logic. I mean, I get how they may not want a live-action Batman series that might retread similar ground the current films are covering.

But, how would one appearance on Smallville really hurt the Nolan film series? I don't see how that would "hurt the brand" anymore than the current Batman cartoon or the direct-to-DVD animated features would.
Cartoons are a different audience.
Old October 10 2009, 06:14 AM   #36
drychlick
Captain

i like a show with a young thor or batman in training
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 06:17 AM   #37
Red Ranger
Admiral

Some interesting ideas. For an LSH show on the WB to work, they'd have to be time travelers who come to modern Earth to prevent time-traveling villains from changing the timeline. The mystery is they received a message fragment from themselves in the 21st century, but they don't know quite who the villains are, so they have to piece that together. Setting it now means no expensive 31st-century sets.

To go in a completely different direction, I wouldn't mind a young Conan the Barbarian show. Show his early adventures and how he becomes the legendary warrior envisioned in the Robert E. Howard novels. His rival in romance and swordplay could be Red Sonja. And the main recurring villain would be the evil wizard Thoth-Amon. (Guess that sounds a bit too much like Hercules with Kevin Sorbo.)

I've always thought adapting the Manhunter DC Comics character from the 1970s, written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by a then little-known Walt Simonson would be cool. He was one of the first Silver Age characters that killed, predating Wolverine by a few years. Obviously, his costume would be too outlandish for a live-action series, but his weapons (shurikens, Burundi dagger, gun) would be fine.

I for one would love to see a period piece based either on The Shadow, Doc Savage, or The Avenger/Justice, Inc. Those would be expensive to produce, of course. I like those period pulp novel characters. If someone decided to go that route, I'd most love to see a Shadow series.

Now, since they're already doing a Captain America film, doubt they'd do a live-action TV show. But it could be fun if it's set during World War II, like the first series of Wonder Woman TV-movies back in the '70s. Imagine as Cap battles the Red Skull, Baron Zemo, and other Nazi and Imperial Japanese threats. That would be a cool throwback!

In that vein, it would be interesting to have a super-spy type series set during the Cold War, too. Maybe a revival of sorts of the Our Man Flint movies (which featured James Coburn as the title character), which featured an American James Bond fighting the Russians and other Cold War types.

Red Rum!

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Red Reindeer; October 10 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 06:25 AM   #38
the Dagman
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Christopher's suggestion of Tales of Asgard (Marvel is doing a animated series with a young Thor btw Chris in 2011 called Thor: Tales of Asgard) reminds me of Young Hercules starring Ryan Gosling.
That wasn't me. I have next to no interest in Thor. That was an earlier poster.

What is it about this site? Not only can people not even remember my handle after being here around 8 or 9 years, now my ideas are being attributed to other people. And I don't even warrant a name-drop in the correction either? You people really deflate a guy's ego. Anyone have a Prozac or Zanax to spare?
Old October 10 2009, 06:32 AM   #39
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Sorry the Dagman....lol...too much caffeine at school when I posted that! Also up until they dumped Laura I would have thought CW was fast tracking a Supergirl spin off series.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 04:52 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Red Rum wrote: View Post
I've always thought adapting the Manhunter DC Comics character from the 1970s, written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by a then little-known Walt Simonson would be cool. He was one of the first Silver Age characters that killed, predating Wolverine by a few years.
Nothing cool about that.

But it could be fun if it's set during World War II, like the first series of Wonder Woman TV-movies back in the '70s.
Actually that was the entire first season of the weekly hourlong series. The only movie was the pilot, unless you count the dreadful Cathy Lee Crosby pilot movie in 1974 (which wasn't a WWII period piece).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 06:07 PM   #41
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
According to Warner Brothers they will never authorize a live action Batman television show. I remember reading that they were pissed when he was shown for five seconds on Birds of Prey and when Alfred called him on the phone in the final scene of the series finale.
Why won't they allow a live action Batman series? It would be a money maker (presumably) for them, and I can't see a studio turning down a chance to make money.
Because they figure they'll make more money with the Nolan film series, and any dodgy television show (because, let's face it, this is the CW) will only harm the brand (and potential box office).
Is this the logic for why Superman Returns tanked? The exsistence of Smallville on TV? I always thought it failed simply because it was a bad film.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 06:27 PM   #42
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post

Cartoons are a different audience.
I'm sorry, but I don't fully buy into that.
Old October 10 2009, 08:27 PM   #43
nx1701g
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post

Why won't they allow a live action Batman series? It would be a money maker (presumably) for them, and I can't see a studio turning down a chance to make money.
Because they figure they'll make more money with the Nolan film series, and any dodgy television show (because, let's face it, this is the CW) will only harm the brand (and potential box office).
Is this the logic for why Superman Returns tanked? The exsistence of Smallville on TV? I always thought it failed simply because it was a bad film.
I do recall reading that there was some belief put to Smallville may have weakened the film because of people going by the same reason Berman had TNG cancelled after season seven: why would people go see it if they can watch it from home for free?
Old October 10 2009, 08:57 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Another possibility: how about THE ROSE AND THE THORN. A hot chick with two personalities fights crimes while engaging in GOSSIP GIRL style soap opera action.

Seems perfect for the CW!
Old October 10 2009, 09:48 PM   #45
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Smallville was only supposed to last for 4 years, and it has gone on way too long, renewed season after season and continually changing cast members like soiled underwear. Please let it drop and as Christopher (it really was him this time) said, let's try something different and not retread old ground.

I'm all for a new superhero-type series, but why not go in for the Unbreakable-style hero. Something understated that really works well. Hancock may even work well as a series, if it doesn't go on for too long. The CW is a crap network with crap shows being watched by the dumbest people, and I make no apologies for that assertion as the fact that they continue to watch a series that jumped the shark five years earlier proves my point.

If we want to replace Smallville, then let's replace it with a superhero, or even a hero, who hasn't had much screen time if any. Someone new. Surely the writers out there aren't that devoid of talent?

Anyone second a motion for David Mack's The Calling to be made into a TV show? On CBS or ABC?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote