Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 7 2009, 04:40 AM   #31
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Re: How would Sarek explain Spock 'Prime' to the other Vulcan survivor

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Especially since the time travel stuff in previous Trek made sense. ENT, "In a Mirror, Darkly" is the perfect example. The Defiant gets thrown back in time, AND into a parallel universe. Each universe has its own timeline. You can cross between universes (they did it in every Mirror Universe episode, Worf did it in Parallels), you can travel along the timeline of each universe (slingshotting around a sun, what the Borg did in First Contact, etc...), and in special cases, like that ENT episode, you can travel back in time and step into a parallel universe.

Same thing happened in this movie, but Orci just doesn't want it to acknowledge that, although it's so easy and hurts no one.
Exactly.

One thing, though: Does Sarek even know who Spock Prime is? In the actual film, they never met. Was there a deleted scene in which they did encounter each other? If so, do they actually speak, or only pass by? Sarek might have no idea who Spock Prime is, and I doubt Spock would introduce himself as, well, himself. That might cause Sarek too much pain, especially since Spock Prime grew up knowing both parents.
# 1,Jarod, you just proved a theory I had in another thread about Spock going back to the prime Universe.

#2, I don't think Sarek did know Spock was there and who he is. I think it would be wise for Spock to keep an " Alternate"(intended) identity. Who knows who could be after Spock for his info about the future. I know it's an alternate Universe, but The Borg are still out there along with Khan,V'Ger and many other threats.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 09:09 PM   #32
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Spock Prime flashes his psychic paper and voila he's a senior member of the old Vulcans.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 05:12 PM   #33
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I believe Spock would be open about where/when he is from, since he is obviously in an Alternate Reality to which that future generally does not apply.

Since he is hanging around Vulcans, he may take on the name of Selek, or keep the name Spock with which he is familiar.

His goal is primarily to help the Vulcans establish a new colony, and from the perspective of everyone who finds out his story, he may dispense the occasional useful bit of info, but his future knowledge would likely be incomplete.

He's likely to be well protected by the Vulcan council or the Federation, but he actually still has little to really hide.

If one doesn't know the questions to ask him, one cannot glean relevent to ones future in any meaningful way.

Q: Am I going to die? if so, how?
A: I do not know. The future is unpredictable to me in this Alternate Reality.

Q: What lies out there for us to find?
A: Here is what happens, and what I know. I hope it helps with dealing with the issue.

Either way, I strongly suspect he's not going to be called upon in future movies, except perhaps as an occasional mentor to young Spock, and that possibility is interesting if remote.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 07:56 PM   #34
Peter the Younger
Commodore

My supposition is that Spock would reveal key information to Starfleet (V'ger, whale probe), but keep his identity secret from the public at large, since it would inevitably make both his and Young Spock's lives very difficult.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote