Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2009, 08:26 AM   #16
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Good Urban Fantasy?

Klagg wrote: View Post
Skutter(deceased) wrote: View Post
The Dresden Files just gets better as it goes along, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy the rest of them.

I read The Devil You Know the first Felix Castor novel by Mike Carey which I enjoyed enough to go out and buy the other three, but I haven't got round to the others yet. It's about a freelance exorcist and investigator called Felix Castor working in London.
I am also a big fan of urban fantasy and must second the Felix Castor novels. The fourth and fifth books in the series are out in the UK and I had them shipped overseas so I did not have to wait.

Another tact you might want to take as a Dresden Files fan is to get the Mean Streets anthology. There is a Dresden Files short story in it with three other shorts. Be warned, though, you should not read this anthology until after Small Favor.
^2 of those 3 are in series I recommended too. Nightside and Remy Chandler.

I've just bought Child Of Fire which was recommended by Jim Butcher in a podcast, it just arrived on saturday so I haven't got round to reading it yet.
Old October 5 2009, 09:42 AM   #17
Technobuilder
Commodore

^Let us know how that is if you would Bob.

The Dresden Files
is probably my favorite book series period at this very moment, with The Codex Alera a close second, BUT I'm not as well read as most people here, so grain of salt and all that.

I recently started reading the Quincey Morris & Elizabeth Chastain Investigations series by Justin Gustainis, and I really enjoyed those as well.
Book 1: Black Magic Woman
Book 2: Evil Ways (Includes a Dresden Files Crossover Scene as well)
Book 3: Sympathy for the Devil (should be out soon)

Be aware that The Dresden Files is a planned 23 book series and book 12 comes out this April, it's a hell of a ride so far, and it ain't close to being over yet.

Jim is also releasing a Short Story Anthology of the complete Dresden Files Short Stories published thus far and a few new ones as well. So that's definitely something to look for and pick up if you get farther into the series proper.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 09:57 AM   #18
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Technobuilder wrote: View Post

The Dresden Files
is probably my favorite book series period at this very moment, with The Codex Alera a close second, BUT I'm not as well read as most people here, so grain of salt and all that.

I recently started reading the Quincey Morris & Elizabeth Chastain Investigations series by Justin Gustainis, and I really enjoyed those as well.
Book 1: Black Magic Woman
Book 2: Evil Ways (Includes a Dresden Files Crossover Scene as well)
Book 3: Sympathy for the Devil (should be out soon)

Be aware that The Dresden Files is a planned 23 book series and book 12 comes out this April, it's a hell of a ride so far, and it ain't close to being over yet.

Jim is also releasing a Short Story Anthology of the complete Dresden Files Short Stories published thus far and a few new ones as well. So that's definitely something to look for and pick up if you get farther into the series proper.
Sure, but it might be a while before I get round to it, I'm currently re-reading Codex Alera before Book 6 comes out.

I agree with you about Dresden Files, but your caveat would be true for me too.
Old October 5 2009, 12:07 PM   #19
Bast
Captain

The Blood Ties series by Tanya Huff are fun (didn't watch the TV series so I don't know how they compare), and she has at least one other series in addition to that.

Charles deLint also writes mostly urban fantasy, and also has a few written under the name Samuel M. Key.

For more fluffy stuff, Mercedes Lackey has an urban fantasy series (Children of the Night?)
Old October 5 2009, 01:13 PM   #20
23skidoo
Admiral

Is it my imagination, or does it look like most urban fantasy novels have to deal with vampires?

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it's the first impression I'm getting.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Is it my imagination, or does it look like most urban fantasy novels have to deal with vampires?

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it's the first impression I'm getting.

Alex
Depends on what you mean, do you mean that vampires are the main focus of the series, or that vampires appear in the universe and in some of the stories? Dresden Files for instance has 3 different flavours of vampire and
but for the most part that's just background detail. And as far as I know none of the ones I mentioned have vampires as their main focus either.
Old October 5 2009, 01:25 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

jadcox@mindspring.com wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm.
Awesome book. Just excellent. Also, check out Moonheart, Someplace to be Flying, and some of the other novels of Charles de Lint.

Another vote for WIZARD OF THE PIGEONS.

Which is totally vampire-free, btw!
Old October 5 2009, 04:18 PM   #23
Mistral
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
OK, two(or more) suggestions no one touched on.

Ariel by Peter Boyett. Just re-released with new cover art. Great story, stunning. There's a unicorn and Japanese sword play, gangsters and magic set in the ruins of our world. Great story long out of print.

Glen Cook's Metal series. Red Iron Nights. Deadly Quicksilver Lies. Sweet Silver Bells. Detective Noir in a fantasy world. Very urban and gritty.

Also, Stalking the Unicorn by Mike Resnick.
Ariel is by Steven R. Boyett. One of my favorite books. A really nice coming of age story.

Edit: Awesome news! Boyett is finally putting out a sequel! http://www.elegybeach.com/

For high magic and hi-tech you can't go wrong with the Shadowrun books.
Sorry. At least I got the last name right. A sequel? Can't wait.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 05:39 PM   #24
sojourner
Admiral

^ Maybe your wires got crossed and you combined Peter Boyle with Steven Boyett?
Old October 5 2009, 09:03 PM   #25
Mistral
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^ Maybe your wires got crossed and you combined Peter Boyle with Steven Boyett?
Maybe. If I had wires. Which I don't. Those rumors about me being an android? Totally fabricated. Totally. No, really, I mean it.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 10:26 PM   #26
Technobuilder
Commodore

[QUOTE=Bob the Skull;3459747]
Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Sure, but it might be a while before I get round to it, I'm currently re-reading Codex Alera before Book 6 comes out.

I agree with you about Dresden Files, but your caveat would be true for me too.
No rush...

I am ALSO rereading Codex Alera in preparation for First Lord's Fury. (With side trips through the Honor Harrington Short Story Anthologies and the LitTrek Mirror Universe.)

It's not Urban Fantasy, but I'm going to highly reccomend the Honor Harrington series as just an epic 'character' series with a nice mix of politics, intrigue, humor, and of course action.

Good stuff. (Honor of the Queen - HH#2 is quoted as being Butcher's favorite book as well.)
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 07:41 AM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

Honor Harrington, a new Mary Sue for a new age!
Old October 8 2009, 03:56 PM   #28
JD
Admiral

Does anyone here know if the The Hollows, or Mercedes Thompson series are any good?
Old October 8 2009, 04:06 PM   #29
D Man
Commodore

How did the author and editor(s) for the Dresden Files decide that exactly 23 books would be the perfect number for this series? That seems really odd to me. What a strange amount of novels to plan out for an arc that's barely halfway done. Don't tell me he saw the awful Jim Carrey Movie...
Old October 8 2009, 04:23 PM   #30
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Doom Man wrote: View Post
How did the author and editor(s) for the Dresden Files decide that exactly 23 books would be the perfect number for this series? That seems really odd to me. What a strange amount of novels to plan out for an arc that's barely halfway done. Don't tell me he saw the awful Jim Carrey Movie...
Jim Butcher says he has it planned as 20 "case files" and "an apocalyptic trilogy" but that may change depending on if his kids go to college...