Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier
9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+) 15 8.72%
8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 55 31.98%
7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 54 31.40%
6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 16 9.30%
5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average) 10 5.81%
4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 10 5.81%
3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 6 3.49%
2 Chevrons – Dark Ages 3 1.74%
1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here 1 0.58%
Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F) 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7 2009, 01:43 PM   #451
Scout101
Admiral

Re: SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Brent wrote: View Post
The outer door's mechanism was broken... it was probably trying to close, but couldn't
That's the joy of the airlock system, though; one doesn't open until the other IS closed, not just TRYING to close. If the inner door can't close, the outer door won't start to open.

And here's the fun question to go with that: WHY is the door stuck halfway open/closed? Why is the shuttle door open as well? If this thing was unmanned, and no one came aboard, both of those doors should be shut, as that's how you would have sent it off. Someone's been here...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 7 2009, 02:44 PM   #452
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Scout101 wrote: View Post
The outer door's mechanism was broken... it was probably trying to close, but couldn't
That's the joy of the airlock system, though; one doesn't open until the other IS closed, not just TRYING to close. If the inner door can't close, the outer door won't start to open.

And here's the fun question to go with that: WHY is the door stuck halfway open/closed? Why is the shuttle door open as well? If this thing was unmanned, and no one came aboard, both of those doors should be shut, as that's how you would have sent it off. Someone's been here...
Hmm. So we have a mystery here ... something that we can come back to at a later time ...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Old October 7 2009, 04:56 PM   #453
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The senators body wasn't sucked out into space was it?

Because if it wasn't then that would provide some dramatic effect if later on in the season they have to go back to that area and you see his corpse.
Old October 7 2009, 04:57 PM   #454
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Let's ... not go there.

Old October 7 2009, 04:58 PM   #455
John Clark
Commodore

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Oh, and Sky in the UK cut out the sex scene, since it's going to be aired before the watershed.

The actor that plays Scott tweets his annoyance at the scene getting cut out. Since, without that scene, you barely have any idea why he brings the female officer with him and Riley later on. And why they have the awkward exchange in the corridor.
Saw it last night.

At that point, I just figured that they had either been sleeping together at Icarus, or he was trying to get to that point with her. I also thought that there might have been something between TJ and Colonel Young?

When I saw the cast list, I thought we might see an Ancient (Portrayed by Ona Grauer as she's done it before), but nope.

I felt the other two pilots were better, but I'll tune in again
Old October 7 2009, 05:07 PM   #456
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

The senators body wasn't sucked out into space was it?

Because if it wasn't then that would provide some dramatic effect if later on in the season they have to go back to that area and you see his corpse.
I thought that could offer a potenial story later, where they can't remove him as it's not feasible but he's still there. It could act as a very odd reminder to the people, and the daughter, of his sacrifice. You could also have crazy stories later of him being reanimated by something, or a nebular that reanimates him but only while they're there. Or an alien using him as a vessel.

I think the mysteries of the ship will be a big thing, like with Atlantis (and only used in DS9 really in Civil Defense). I like that angle a lot. What's on board, what will they find in different sections, what has the ship seen, what has the ship done? There are many angles (sady none of them even hinted at in the pilot).

A couple of times they were doing camera angles like they were being watched, did anyone else spot that? Wasn't sure if it was the fancy camera work or meant something.

I saw the sex scene, I downloaded the episode. I'll store it in my private collection now. But to show how faceless the cast are to me now, I don't even remember the woman he was sexing.
Old October 7 2009, 05:33 PM   #457
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Klaitu wrote: View Post
Also sort of odd that you'd run a life support system on an uninhabited ship for millenia, especially considering you've got "incoming gate turn-stuff-on" technology.

I thought the same thing - In fact, assuming the 'Anceints' never gated to the ship, I was wondering why anything BUT THE ENGINES (which seem to be the ONLY thing working) would be in bad shape. If the ship was in fact hermetically seealed, there would be no real decay internally. Also sorry, but this strikes me as more of a Stargate: Voyager with an annoying 'Wesley' type teen character thrown in. Also, please give me a break in that the 'wiz kid's' contribution to make the thing work was "Use the 'Earth' symbol as the 9th cheveron. Also, it's a strech that they could connect to the ship in the first place since even in the first Stargate series, the problem was that the planets had moved so that the 'Constellation' symbols (aka the 'addresses' changed, and they were spending MONTHS using a mainframe computer to calculate teh correct addresses); yet with an extremely ancient address, they can suddenly connect to a small (when compared to a planet) ship travelling at FTL speeds; talk about major 'plot device' needed just to swallow all this.

Also, once they're on the ship, people just want to try and 'dial Earth'? Hello, you just came from a planet where the core was turned into a power source to power a gate to get to the ship, yet they somehow think the ship would have enough power to dial back? If that were the case, do you think the 'Anceints' would have had to go through all the things they did to set that gate up in the first place? (Sorry, I like characters who are suppossedly 'the best and brightest' to ACT like it sometimes).

I'll give it a few more episodes; but IMO, I think the Stargate creators BURNED OUT long ago, and it's showing badly. This just seems like another way for them to keep getting a paycheck. IMO it's not really that 'dark and gritty' when you start with a teenager being inducted because he won a video game - that was ludicrous when the film The Last Starfighetr premired back in 1984. Also, sorry, but whilke I can see a U.S. Senator (who controls purse strings) taken to see the culmination of a project; is the Stargate so commonplace to the U.S. military brass that they say, "Sure, bring your daughter along too..."

And people say Star Trek went to the well too many times.
Old October 7 2009, 05:42 PM   #458
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

I like it.

The premise of the story may or may not be plausible, but who cares? It's a story. It's supposed to be entertainment - not a documentary.

If it doesn't entertain you, don't watch it.

Old October 7 2009, 07:37 PM   #459
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

AntonyF wrote: View Post
A couple of times they were doing camera angles like they were being watched, did anyone else spot that? Wasn't sure if it was the fancy camera work or meant something.
I think that was actually supposed to be the view from the Kino that Eli was toying with.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old October 7 2009, 09:12 PM   #460
Candlelight
Admiral

Oh, and Sky in the UK cut out the sex scene, since it's going to be aired before the watershed.

The actor that plays Scott tweets his annoyance at the scene getting cut out. Since, without that scene, you barely have any idea why he brings the female officer with him and Riley later on. And why they have the awkward exchange in the corridor.
OUTRAGE! He was the only thing that kept me interested throughout, and they cutout some titilation. Damn you Sky one to hell!

They also cut out Helo wrything in BSG.. do they want to punish me?
That's why I love NZ censors. We got Babylon 5 completely uncut at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon - bastards 'n all!

Also, Galactica screens at 8.30pm uncut on network tv.

That sex scene would pass through with flying colours, no problems.

I guess that's what you get from a country that's 40% athiest.
Old October 7 2009, 09:19 PM   #461
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I think the mysteries of the ship will be a big thing, like with Atlantis (and only used in DS9 really in Civil Defense). I like that angle a lot. What's on board, what will they find in different sections, what has the ship seen, what has the ship done? There are many angles (sady none of them even hinted at in the pilot).
I'm getting some "Event Horizon" vibes

"It didn't come back alone..........."
Old October 7 2009, 11:01 PM   #462
MPH
Rear Admiral

The premise of this show and looking at synopsis of future episodes it does sound interesting if done right.
The 1st season seems to be character conflict and fixing the ship.
Old October 8 2009, 12:10 AM   #463
Candlelight
Admiral

MPH wrote: View Post
The premise of this show and looking at synopsis of future episodes it does sound interesting if done right.
The 1st season seems to be character conflict and fixing the ship.
When do they introduce the Borg?
Old October 8 2009, 06:02 AM   #464
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
Rush. Why did they choose the Brit guy for the role? Because he's going to be an unpleasant bastard. Maybe even treacherous.
Well, for one, he's Scottish. And for two, they got who they thought was the best actor for the role. I'm sure the fact that he's a name actor had some sway as well.

Angry Solider seemed a bit too much like Ford for me.
I don't get this. "Angry Soldier" was nothing like Ford. Ford was all gung-ho and outgoing. Even after he got Wraithed, he retained some of his positive enthusiasm. This guy is all "I'm gonna kill somebody!"

They could have mentioned the name Rush in the Atlantis finale at least, I think it makes sense that Rush is on the team studying Atlantis now that it is on Earth, they shoulda just made a name drop.
That assumes that Rush was completely fleshed out by the time they wrote and subsequently filmed the Atlantis finale. Considering how many times there were character name changes over the course of 2009, it is doubtful they had everything all planned out by the middle of 2008 (when, I believe, Atlantis wrapped).
Old October 8 2009, 09:29 AM   #465
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

I liked it so far, though I was annoyed of how it seemed to end so apruptly (I'm watching this on Sky in the UK, and I think they've mentioned that there's a part 3 they haven't showed yet, so that been placated somewhat), and how they cut into the commercial breaks. Hopefully they'll get a grip on that later. I'll be interested to see what the show's actual intro will be when we get to the regular run.

So far I'm liking the green Lt., Eli, Rush and Chloe, though there's rough edges that need smoothing out, which I'm sure later episodes will sort out with more characterization (this also applies to the other characters, potential or otherwise). I'm not surprised the senator was going to die, especially as soon as I heard them start talking about someone having to sacrifice themselves in the shuttle.

I agree that there seems to be this 'vibe' that the newcomers are being watched by something already on board. I mean, this is a ship that's been travelling for silly amounts of years (millions or hundreds of thousands? Hardly much difference once you to get to certain scales...) and this is a massive ship with what? 80 people on board? Like rattling a handful of rice grains in a shipping container.

I'm not really getting these plot/artifact contrivances that people are pointing out. I remember seeing one person complaining about 'seeder' ship making stargates ahead of the ship. Ever heard of Von Neumann probes? I actually liked that touch, since it seemed to be a sci-fi concept I've not heard being used in a TV series before (I may be wrong). The 'kinos'? Funky little touch, and it's not exactly surprising that we weren't going to be getting MALPs and the like in this series in terms of Tau'ri tech, and these devices presence make sense on a ship like this. A lot can happen on a planet in the timescale of millions of years since a stargate is 'seeded', a planet that was originally inhabitable when the stargate was placed may no longer be safe.

I've voted 8 chevrons, since I'm optimistic about the possibilities of this series and looking forward to see how they play with it.