Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2009, 12:47 AM   #31
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape rewatch

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm excited for the new complete series DVD to come out so I can hopefully re-watch the whole show come winter.
That's my plan too. I just wish it was about $30. less than it is. I might wait for Christmas and order it from Amazon. They should offer some kind of deal for the holidays. They did last year.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 12:58 AM   #32
Pilot Ace
Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm excited for the new complete series DVD to come out so I can hopefully re-watch the whole show come winter.
That's my plan too. I just wish it was about $30. less than it is. I might wait for Christmas and order it from Amazon. They should offer some kind of deal for the holidays. They did last year.
I think +$25 per season of an out of print show is a great deal. I can't see it dropping much, but I could be wrong.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 11:38 AM   #33
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

I think +$25 per season of an out of print show is a great deal. I can't see it dropping much, but I could be wrong.
Everything drops from its release price eventually, just depends how much.

My sweet spot for TV purchasing is £15 per season now... which is because the market has forced me down so much with its cost cutting, I expect it now.
Old October 6 2009, 11:41 AM   #34
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

AntonyF wrote: View Post
My sweet spot for TV purchasing is £15 per season now... which is because the market has forced me down so much with its cost cutting, I expect it now.
Which is ironic incidentally, because Farscape is the most I've ever paid for a TV show. I paid £100 per season. That's $640 for four seasons!
Old October 6 2009, 05:45 PM   #35
Forbin
Admiral

God knows what I paid. I bought both individual disks and Starburst editions in random mix as they came out.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 06:36 PM   #36
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

When Farscape was good, it was great. When it was bad, it could be pretty stinkin' bad.

Also another vote for season 4 wasn't bad. Sure the first half had more than a fair share of clunkers but when they go Hot to Katratzi, things really start building up. While it wasn't a season long finale (similar to what DS9 had), it was still very very good.

Also, I kinda liked Sikozu and Granny. And Commandant (boob sweat) Grayza was interesting. I felt that they should have utilized her a little more than they did.

Another vote for The Choice too. I quite enjoyed when Farscape did "Drama" but their humor was just too weird for me. I wish they had spent more time on the arcs and left the silly Crackers don't matter stuff out. The John-Aeryn pairing makes for stupendous angsty "high-voltage drama" tag scenes.

It took me a little while but I totally started liking Dominar Rygel. It was interesting that they gave him that personality and also (sometimes) made him a bad-a$$.

But the best Farscape feature for me - the tag scenes. Dynamite!! (Did I say I loved Farscape for it's "Drama" already?)
Old October 6 2009, 09:35 PM   #37
Kegg
Rear Admiral

coolghoul wrote: View Post
I wish they had spent more time on the arcs and left the silly Crackers don't matter stuff out. The John-Aeryn pairing makes for stupendous angsty "high-voltage drama" tag scenes.
But the crackers don't matter!

But yeah, Farscape's humour could be hit and miss for me, though probably more hit than miss. However I think by and large it blended arc material and standalone craziness very well - if the series had been all arc and interstellar politics it simply would not be Farscape. That's Babylon 5.

Farscape can be about wormholes and Scorpius and the fate of the galaxy, but it's also about the Moyans being hurled into bizarre situations, allowing the show to creatively mess about with sci-fi tropes. That's really a major part of why I love it so.

Last edited by Kegg; October 6 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 10:19 PM   #38
Technobuilder
Commodore

^Amen to that.

Crackers don't matter.

Farscape is a show that comes along once in a blue moon that really makes you happy to have seen it. The flaws just add character to it.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 10:33 PM   #39
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Kegg wrote: View Post
if the series had been all arc and interstellar politics it simply would not be Farscape. That's Babylon 5.
I think Babylon 5 did have standalone episodes. It was one of the first space opera with a long term thru line but it had standalone character eps too in the early seasons.

Also, while I like B5 and it had some good stuff ( I enjoyed Jurasik and Katsulas) but I think Farscape got many of the drama elements "better" than B5.
Old October 6 2009, 10:39 PM   #40
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I think Babylon 5 did have standalone episodes.
Well, I reserve my right to florid exaggeration. Strictly speaking, a fully arced Farscape still wouldn't be B5 as their arcs are sort of different in content, yet I disgress. So, yes, I just put in a sentence because it sounded cool, but I also had a point behind it:

Essentially, B5 spent a lot more time developing the political intricacies of its universe than Farscape did. It has standalone episodes, but at the end of the day it is about the big, sweeping events, the rise and fall of interstellar polities and the maturity of the younger races and other Big Issues.

Farscape is about wormhole weapons and the Peacekeeper/Scarran conflict, but it's just as much about the oddball standalone stuff it does. If I'm making sense here - Farscape's heart is really in episodes like "Crackers Don't Matter" just as much as it is in "Into the Lion's Den", while Babylon 5 has a clear slant towards its Epic Times, and its best standalone tends to be stuff that's still character/universe oriented rather than some strange anomaly tale.

Also, while I like B5 and it had some good stuff ( I enjoyed Jurasik and Katsulas) but I think Farscape got many of the drama elements "better" than B5.
True. I'd ascribe this simply to having an all-round better cast - Farscape's B.B. (Ben Browder) could whip Babylon 5's B.B. (Bruce Boxleitner) any day.
Old October 6 2009, 10:40 PM   #41
RandyS
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
if the series had been all arc and interstellar politics it simply would not be Farscape. That's Babylon 5.
I think Babylon 5 did have standalone episodes. It was one of the first space opera with a long term thru line but it had standalone character eps too in the early seasons.

You're right, Babylon 5 did have standalone episodes throughout the show, but even in those, the main story arc was always present.

And, not to start an argument, but my opinion is the reverse of yours, both B5 and Farscape were great shows, but B5 was the better one.
Old October 6 2009, 10:42 PM   #42
RandyS
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Oh it will, prices always drop. That's why I mentioned Amazon. They're selling it currently for $104.00, but it's going for $149.00 retail. That's a $45.00 dollar savings right there.
Old October 7 2009, 02:20 AM   #43
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I plan my own Farscape rewatch when I get the new DVDs this Christmas. I'm glad A&E is releasing them at a more affordable price point $37 per season at msrp isn't bad considering how much they where before at msrp with no discounts.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 03:36 AM   #44
Forbin
Admiral

Been watching it for a few months now while I putter around in my workshop. Sadly approaching the end. Watched "Kansas" tonight. Loved Aeryn's Cher costume.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2009, 04:11 AM   #45
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I especially enjoyed "Terra Firma." It felt like a really good, emotional episode. And I liked that they brought Crichton back to Earth -- before the end of the series -- only to have very different feelings about it than one would expect. Classic stuff!